Author Topic: Adverts appearing on the forum  (Read 13245 times)

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Adverts appearing on the forum
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »
Hello Shane, one of the adverts is linked to ZWinky. I have run Superantispyware and Avast Free , scanned the registry etc and still getting the adverts. More of a pest but don't recall how it occurred. I have unchecky installed and I do check and decline attachments to a downloaded file if I do not want them. WOT shows the Zwinky site as being iffy. Thanks.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Adverts appearing on the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:23:24 pm »
Hi, as1953 Do you mean the advertisement in the forum. If this is , then why you have to check with superantispyware and other tools. It is just there and you could see or simple ignore. If you do not want advertisement, then download adblock plus for your browser and then visit this forum.
                           I do not know what is adverts in forum

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:00:42 am »
Hello all, another advert appearing was one from sparktrust offering free malware removal. That too was classed as iffy by WOT. However, I then realised about checking through AdFender free cookies section and found a load of ticked red texted ad cookies. I deleted them and did a power down and a power up again. Coming back to this forum showed it was clean of adverts. that was about 5.00 am this morning. I have just powered up again and saw just one advert that only appeared when I signed on to the forum. it did not appear upon selecting anyone elses queries. I went back to AdFender cookies and saw one red ticked cookie. I deleted it, came back to the forum and no adverts appeared. I have not put RESOLVED against this query as I want to see if I do get any more adverts appearing.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:02:40 am »
Blast it! As I posted the last message the same sparktrust advert appeared again.

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:27 am »
This is cracking me up! posting the last message re the advert, it did not appear affter the posting.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 05:08:40 am »
Hi, did you try adblocker?

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 05:13:57 am »
Hello jraju, no I have not but the offending cookie which keeps coming back to cause the advert appearing is "scorecardresearch.com".

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:20:55 am »
Hi, You mean the advertisements appearing in this forum. Then you must download adblock plus for your browser, ie, ff, or gchrome. Then after installing that add on visit this page, and you would not see the popping advertisement. If the pop up is other than the advertisement i mentioned above, then better know that it is not connected with the site, but a computer problem like, some search engines tool bar got in to your system. Please elaborate the exact problem

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 07:40:30 am »
Hi jraju, I am using IE9 on Vista. I am wondering if a HOST file type of program will allow me to block adverts etc. A number of years ago I did have a program called HOSTMAN that gave the user access to the HOST file.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:00:00 am »
I think I would be tempted to run both AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

The link for JRT is lower down the page.

With ADW click on Scan and when that has completed, it may list some programs in the lower pane which you can uncheck any you wish to keep.

Click on Report and it will show if/what it has found and will remove - close the Report then click on Clean.

It will produce another report after the reboot to show what it has removed.

JRT takes a little longer to run and will produce its report on completion, but you don't get any choice in what that will remove.

Resetting the Hosts File would be my next step and this MS Fixit will do that for you. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »
Hello Boggin and jraju, thanks for your input. I have not yet done anything as I am opening the the AdFender console and checking on the cookies list to endeavor to see what website visit shows the ticked red texted scorecardresearch cookie. coming on here and also my last posting has not produced it. What has produced it is my going to the Daily Mail website although there are no spurious adverts being shown on there. I will now post this current reply and see if the advert appears here!

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
Re: Adverts appearing on the forum RESOLVED
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »
Although I have not carried out any in depth action to resolve this issue there has been no further occurrence of spurious adverts appearing on this forum so am adding a resolved to it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »
I dont control the ads, google does. Which of course is a pain some times. But if there is bad ads on their google normally gets to them quickly and yanks them, as long as someone reports it :-)

Shane

Offline Xas1953NC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »
Hello Shane, here is a part screengrab of one of the adverts. I selected it's properties and saw part of the link read GoogleAds. I also took note of the website offering it's Services and WOT rated it as being iffy.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
I hate ads like that, and those types that trick people into clicking it are not allowed by google. But since most of google is automated these creeps keep making fake accounts with google and putting out these bad ads. Happens to them all, not just google. This is just one of the tricks of these guys.

And as funny as it is, I make money from ads, yet because of this crap I always use an ad blocker. Talk about irony lol

Shane