Author Topic: How well do Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8.1?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline silents429

• I secretly enjoy troubleshooting problems.
    • View Profile
How well do Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8.1?
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:49:38 pm »
Upgrading one of my laptops to 8.1 from 7.

Problem is, Intel sucks hella at legacy drivers, and refuses to update the 1st Generation HD Graphics i3 Core drivers to 8.1.. or to a more usable state in general.

Anywho, From what I understand a 64bit Windows 7 driver can be installed on Windows 8.1 64bit without issues, my question being, will the driver actually operate the same, or will it be working a bit faulty or slower, lacking things I don't know. (Low spec gamer here)

Obviously, I won't be using whatever stock junk Microsoft Update throws at me, and unfortunately Lenovo has barebones support for 8.1

If needed Ill stick to 7, but honestly I prefer 8.1

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: How well do Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 09:50:49 am »
I had 8.1 for a year and wiped it over Christmas and put 7 back on. Windows 8 is simply the easiest OS to break. I had it tweaked with classic shell start menu, all my other tweaks and such and had it running like windows 7. But the huge updates, the other problems and such where to much for me that I couldnt take it any more lol

But normally windows 7 drivers work just fine with it as well. It is still the same core os and unless the drivers are poorly written they should work fine. Thats why a lot of driver packages you see, you will see it says for windows 7 and 8.

Shane

Offline silents429

• I secretly enjoy troubleshooting problems.
    • View Profile
Re: How well do Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8.1?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:54:43 am »
I know in the past using your tweaks on 8.1 hadn't resulted in the best of results overtime.. BUT. I will try to keep things as simplistic with the tweaks as I can.

But yay the drivers will work hopefully.