Author Topic: Computer shuts down at random time no BSOD or error.  (Read 9462 times)

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
Computer shuts down at random time no BSOD or error.
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:57:57 pm »
I am having a strange problem. I have a Winxp SP3 (i know I need to move on to a new system but its not my main machine) that will randomly shut itself off. It has gone for a day or two and sometimes an hour or two. There is no error message and no good reason for it. I have a good battery in the UPS. The system event viewer doesn't show anything either. I have run all kinds of virus checks, Malwarebytes, and tried CCleaner. I looked in the System Scheduler and found nothing there. I started to suspect a fan not running or a heat problem but I vacuumed it out (it wasn't bad, I usually keep up with  that ) and I kept an eye on the fans and they are running. I dont know of a utility to test the temp of the CPU and the fans running, so if you can recommend a utility I will try that. I just ran the Windows repair All in One and am waiting to see if fixed the issue. I did not check off everything , just what I thought would have to do with the problem I am having. Have you ever seen this?

The windows repair worked great and fixed another computer I had a problem with.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer shuts down at random time no BSOD or error.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:17 pm »
Does it completely turn off or just reboot? When it does it does windows ever say windows didnt shut down correctly or does windows go through the normal shutdown process?

If it is just turning off and not rebooting and windows isnt going through the shutdown process then it is either going to be a weak and failing power supply, or the cpu is over heating and the mother board is turning off the system before any damage happens. :wink:

So one easy test, if you have another good power supply is to simply test with a different power supply.

As for the cpu temp, it all depends on the motherboard and system itself if a program can pull the current cpu temp. Normally though the bios will show the current cpu temp. When you are in the bios the cpu is running at max speed. So watching the temp in there for a while is a good way to see how hot the temp gets.

Shane

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 04:27:11 pm »
Not a reboot. It completely shuts down going through the normal Windows shutdown process.   When I turn it back on all is well, no errors or messages about the shutdown and everything works fine.
I will try the things you mentioned.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:38:28 pm »
Just wondering if an infection has set up your Scheduled Tasks to do that.

This article describes how to check that http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308671

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 07:29:06 am »
Yeah I thought about that and i would like to see that KB article but the link isn't working.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308671

The thing is,  a scheduled event should happen at a scheduled time on a regular basis and I haven't seen a pattern. It sometimes goes for hours and sometimes days (1 or 2) . Its been on since 9:00am yesterday and I ran the Windows Repair the night before. So far its been OK...but we will see.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:30 am »
The link in both mine and your post work fine for me.

Sometimes MS sites can be buggy or it can be your AV program blocking.

See if either work in Safe Mode with Networking or after running theses commands from a command prompt.

netsh winsock reset catalog

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Now reboot.

For a while it was hitty missy whether I could get this MS Fixit to load other than with a blank page under the header. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »
Did you try another power supply yet by chance?

Also what I do as well is check the event viewer and normally I will find entries that either say windows is hutting down or the last system shutdown was unexpected (Which normally means Power loss)

One of those should be in there from when it happens. Either the first one will happen in the event viewer before the shutdown while the other one will be logged after the system comes back up.

Any chance the event logs still have data from the last time it happed and you can upload the system and application logs to me?

Shane

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 05:52:36 pm »
Sorry I was away from this for a while.
Boggin....the link worked and I was able to read the article. I checked all scheduled tasks and none are anything I shouldn't have.
Shane, I am uploading the System Events log. Is that what you wanted to see?

New info: It still shuts down after a day or two. I ran the Dell Diag Utility (F12 on bootup) on every device from the mother board to the hadr drives and ram, its all coming back passed all tests. The other day it shutdown and when I rebooted it came up with no boot drive (0) But on a reboot its been fine and I ran the drive tests again and its good. Its a one year old Seagate drive.
I think this is the power supply and I will have to go get one an try it. I just haven't had time and now I may be facing blizzard in the next couple of days!!!! I hate snow:(

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 01:15:19 am »
This may help with SCM Event ID 7000 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357

This one for SCM Event ID 7023 but clicking on this Event then on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane so as to paste the full details. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756318(v=ws.10).aspx

Doing the same for those Info Event IDs 7035 and 7036 can also be useful.

This one looks particularly useful for resolving DCOM 1005 errors. http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/use-dcomcnfgexe-stop-dcom-10000-and-10005-errors

As for monitoring the temps and fan speeds, HWMonitor will do that for you without having to boot up into the BIOS.

You can also keep an eye on the voltages as well, but whether you'll be able to catch any drop off prior to a shutdown.....

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:21:41 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:47 pm »
Let me k now how the new power supply does. :wink:

Shane