Author Topic: new registry update  (Read 13819 times)

Offline peterr

• View Profile
new registry update
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:43:32 am »
My desktop seemed to work quickly and successfully and the log file opend in MS Word.

My laptop similarly configured, took twice as long, appears successful yet the log file opens in notepad.

I have MSIE configured the same with Word being the choice under the program tab on both pcs. I do not see where I can make Word the default in the laptop.

Why would it take twice as long for the laptop with the same ram  and processor (6GB and i5) to backup but more importantly, how do I get the laptop to open the log file in Word instead of Notepad?
Thank you

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
Re: new registry update
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:11 am »
How to Change the Default Program a File Type Opens With in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program.html

Don't know why your laptop takes longer time to take backup!

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:11 am »
Thomas
It worked and thank you very much.
Perhaps the speed thing was not ordinary and I will see what tomorrow brings.
Peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »
Tomas_Sweden good job helping out :-)

As for the backups taking longer. The old version of the backup program only waited 60 sec for VSS before it said it failed and used the fall back method.

The new version now waits as long as needed till VSS is ready, or if it crashes.

So the backups are taking longer now because VSS on the system is rather slow for some reason :wink:

Shane

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:07 am »
I performed backup and restore this am and both ps took the same amount of time.
However, I tested the one time per day, so rebooted, and on each, the backup flashed but disappeared.
I then rebooted a third time and no backup program appeared.
I would say all is worlking well and I agree with you that Thomas is a great assett.
I wish I had the expertise to do the same.

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:44:08 am »
You can look in Log_Vss.txt and Log_Backup.txt, there you can see how long time the backup took!
[2012-10-10 - 06:49:16] is the first time in my Log_Backup.txt this morning and the last time log is [2012-10-10 - 06:50:23]. So it took 1 minute and 7 seconds for me at startup.

If you notice that your laptop is slower than your desktop pc it could be that you have "Balanced" Power options on your pc. It also depends on whether you have the battery in the laptop computer or if you use the power cable.

You can take a look at this site: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-tweak-advanced-settings-power-plan-windows-7
In advanced settings: You can take a look at "Maximum processor state", for faster computer, you should choose 100%, but it takes more battery.
You can also look at "Graphics Power Settings" (Maybe your graphics settings is named Intel, Nvidia or Ati?)
It's the same here if you want faster computer you can choose "Maximize performance", it also uses more battery.

Peterr you ask good questions, so that others who need help with the same thing will find answers to their questions. All who post here helps in their own way!  :cheesy:

Tomas
Dell Laptop XPS L501X Intel i5-560M(2.66GHz), Win 7 Home Prem(SP1) 64 Bit, 4 GB RAM. Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256 GB.

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:18 am »
Thomas
I will be reading about your links and thank you.
I always hope questions will in some way help others learn but I must admit sometimes I could be on a comedy show.
All is working well and this reg back up is a much needed program since Erunt ran out of gas.
Peter

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:08:43 am »
Thomas
I attached the VSS that you referred to because it shows the time it took for the registry back up to complete.
I think it is 4 minutes. My desktop just did it in about a minute.

Please read the log and let me know if anything catches your eye as to why it takes so long.

Also,I saw an entry called HijackPatrol log - that would not be a hijacker would it?

Peter
PS I am sorry to tell you I made another error. My wife booted up the laptop but it was not plpugged in and she plugged it in after. I am sorry - that is most likely the reason why it took so long. i will try again.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:57:31 am by peterr »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »
The slow down is nothing more than waiting for the volume shadow copy service to make the snap shot. :wink:

Shane

Offline Tomas_Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »
I can't see something in the log that would explain why it takes so long time.
But if you run many applications at the same time, it takes longer for the Registry Backup to backup!
Could be that more programs are starting on your laptop than your desktop computer!?

HijackPatrol.log is a log file from the program HijackThis it's normal, the log file are usually saved directly in C:!

Tomas

Offline peterr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »
Thomas
I think between the pc not being plugged in and my wife not waiting for programs to load you have found why it was slower than the desktop.
I have unchecked all but the necessary startup items. Thank you for your time and advise.
Peter