Author Topic: desktop and taskbar at startup  (Read 12357 times)

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
desktop and taskbar at startup
« on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:50 pm »
Windows boots, the desktop icons and/or taskbar icons won't execute. The only way to make the desktop work is to control-alt-delete and then I have to click cancel twice. I have 2 programs after that where the menu shortcuts will not work. My malware bytes Premium stopped working, I contacted their support DL trial version, it will update and scan, but will not let me enter my ID key info. MB support cannot figure out the problem. I DL your All-in-one and ran it but it did not correct the problem, I am at a loss.
I do not have a Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium disc to reload OS. MSE did delete a browser hijacker program, and Malware Bytes hasn't found any thing on my machine.
Gateway NV79 series laptop.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: desktop and taskbar at startup
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:20:37 am »
Do they work in Safe Mode with Networking - if so, perform a clean boot to see if they continue to work. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Uninstall the trial version MBAM using its uninstaller https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc/en-us/articles/201861636-How-do-I-uninstall-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware- - check if they work but install the free version instead https://www.malwarebytes.org/

You may have to rebuild the icon cache and this article will help with that http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Let us know how you get on with those and also which AV program you are using if the problem continues.

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:14:32 am »
The programs affected do not work in safe mode, I did delete my premium Malware Bytes and have installed the free version. Opening window works for update and scan, but all other menu items like settings and history do not, plus the activate window comes up but I cannot enter ID key.
Last night I chose to unhide my taskbar, this morning after windows booted I clicked on my icons in the taskbar and nothing happened, I clicked on the trial version icon of MB on my desktop and it worked. After the program rendered my screen flashed and the icons in the taskbar are working. This has happened before, but some days none of the icons work.
Really strange, one of my programs (google earth) where the menu wasn't working worked for a short time, but now the menu shortcuts are grayed out and I can't close the program. It seems the header of these programs are corrupt.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 06:59:01 am »
Using restore point to prior the problem can sometimes resolve but as you have had an infection and don't know when you picked that up, best not to use those and you should delete your restore points.

If you haven't tried that batch file to rebuild the icon cache, then this MS Fixit may resolve your problem. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:03 am »
Thank you for your response, I tried the fix it tool and no problems were found. I also did the tweaking.com all-in-one tool and although it seems better the problem isn't resolved. Something is preventing the taskbar icons from executing at startup, and even more concerning is the menus, and not being able to render my license for malware bytes has me worried more. I ran a sfc/scannow and all files are where they are supposed to be, spent an hour online with Microsoft tech support without success.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 08:11:34 am by pipepro »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:03 am »
The fact that the programs don't work in Safe Mode would suggest it isn't because of any 3rd party programs you have installed or malware.

I think WR deals with File Association but have a read through that sevenforums article I'd linked and give the batch file a try to see if rebuilding the icon cache has any effect.

What did Microsoft Tech Support try and have to say ?

I prefer to use AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool to deal with browser hijackers and adware.

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »
Microsoft tech had me do sfc and check disk, actually I knew more than the tech I believe. I am thinking a dll file is missing or corrupt. I wish I had more input as to ideas.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:04 pm »
When you click on the blue default file extension's associations link in the sevenforums link, it takes you to http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

Read through that, create a restore point - reboot and check that the restore point is still there then download the DLL reg file, following the article's instructions.

You may get a warning that the file could damage your computer but sevenforum's fixes are usually okay and you will have your restore point to fall back on.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:05 pm »
I have had multiple users with this problem over the last week or so, and for each one of them it had to do with a 3rd party crap program that got installed.

Normally they could go into safe mode.

When windows boots up it runs userinit.exe (Which is set in the registry) this processes the startup items and then launches explorer.exe

Which is in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

(Shouldnt be here, if it is the repair program should have removed it)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

And in both of those check and see what "Shell" and "Userinit" are set to.

Shell should be set to "explorer.exe" and userinit should be set to "userinit.exe," (Notice the comma after it)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 02:35:10 am »
Shane - there was no change in Safe Mode which would eliminate 3rd party programs as the cause.

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 05:44:57 am »
SHELL and USERINIT are not in my WINLOGON folder  :cry:

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 07:22:43 am »
I decided to run the all in one again. this time I disconnected my laptop mouse (GearHead) (as per seven forums) booted in safe mode with networking and ran the program. I seen a lot of errors and missing files that were repaired. After reboot, my Menus for the affected programs worked, I was able to enter ID key for Malware Bytes and that program is fine. My icons worked in taskbar and desktop.
I noticed that installer.exe was missing among other errors. I am running a full system scan right now, I haven't connected the mouse yet  :confused: I will reboot several times before I try to boot with the mouse connected, it is possible that an update of the mouse gave me the infection I believe.
I will check back after multiple boot configurations. I will definitely donate to tweaking.com what a great program and your help was most appreciated thank you all.  :cheesy:

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 09:15:13 am »
UPDATE  -  After all was well, I decided to try the mouse again BOOM  :teeth: the system failed again like before. Thank God I created a restore point before doing that. I'm back, I think and well. How can this be and should I be leary of buying another mouse for my laptop.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 09:20:44 am »
You could replicate the problem then go Start - Devices and Printers - right click on the mouse icon and select Troubleshoot - or in Device Manager/Mice and pointing devices - right click on the applicable one - Properties and it should give its status.

Offline pipepro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 11:32:52 am »
I tossed it and got another one already, Thank You for your help  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:08 pm »
Glad to hear you found the cause of the problem!

Shane