Author Topic: HP DeskJet 3910 Help  (Read 7320 times)

Offline src_2003

• View Profile
HP DeskJet 3910 Help
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:54 am »
Need help for a HP DeskJet 3910 printer.
Was working  fine up until about a week ago. Now all I get is printer is off line. Done all the usual stuff, made sure it was the preferred printer, unplug and wait and plug printer back up, checked for paper jam, restarted computer, uninstalled drivers and reinstalled drivers, replaced ink cartridges with new ones, made sure had enough paper in tray, also went to HP trouble shooting web page and followed their information. Still the same thing, printer is off line. Tried to do a print test page that HP web site said to try. It just locks up and says printer is off line. Had the same thing happen to a Canon printer several years ago, but had to get this printer cause lost the Canon driver disk and couldn’t find new driver on line cause Canon said the printer was discontinued (no longer supported).
If anyone has any ideas of what to check or do it would be appreciated. I’m ready to buy a new printer but with extra ink cartridges thought I try asking for help before I toss this printer.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: HP DeskJet 3910 Help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:18:53 am »
Two things to check.

1. In the properties of the printer go to the ports tab. What port is it set to use? Sometimes this get changed and doesn't point to the correct port (Like the correct USB)
2. Check the device manager. If the printer is using one of the USB ports then in the device manager see if you have anything with a yellow ! on it.

Any screen shots of these will help as well :wink:

Shane

Offline src_2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:14 am »
Here is a screen shot of the ports. I have everything on the HP printer disconnected right now. Just to let you know I tried again to reinstall the driver for the printer, but now I'm getting can't continue must have the right operating system.  I really don't understand because I have been using this printer on this computer since it was bought. I did a clean install of vista thought it may have been messed up, after the clean install of vista can't even install the drivers for the printer. I'm sure that before Vista automatic loaded the drivers for the printer with no problems (don't think even had to use the HP install CD).

Offline src_2003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:46:40 am »
Just checked the device manager and no yellow marks anywhere.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:12 pm »
Uncheck the lpt3.

And make sure only the USB is selected. Is there more than 1 usb?

Shane