Author Topic: reimage system scanner  (Read 10974 times)

Offline gary

• View Profile
reimage system scanner
« on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:43 am »
While browsing your site and viewing the page for Tweaking Windows Repair, I noticed that you are recommending that I should download REIMAGE System Repair.

As I always do before I download new software, I did an Internet search. The result was that I found numerous sites, forums, etc, which state that REIMAGE is NOTHING but a SCAM software that does NOT work and downloads PUPs.

I suggest that you remove the recommendation to download REIMAGE from your site. This software can only damage your reputation for writing and supplying high quality products.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: reimage system scanner
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:53 am »
That is an Advert, not a recommendation  :wink:

Try this....
https://adblockplus.org/

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:50:10 am »
reImage is not a scam...  as a matter of fact I am running it on the machine I am typing on.  The software is a legit way to repair your operating system on a file level.. among other things.

It gets a bad rap because of it scan first then buy to fix model... Some people call that 'scareware'   but it is also the best way to sell a product like that. They also used to package with a toolbar which I think was a poor choice for them as well.

But i think the software is misunderstood more than anything. People think it is a registry cleaner.. It isn't.  Here's a decent older review that makes a good pro and con case for it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2331884%2c00.asp

Offline gary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:32:40 am »
Reference the responses from Samson and JPM.

To Samson:
When I accessed Tweaking Download, it suggested tha,t before I download a Tweaking app, I might like to try Reimage. THAT is NOT an advert, it is a possible affiliate link!
I use ADblock Plus, together with Easy List and Easy Privacy. I also use Chromium Secure with blocking on all sites.

None of these picked up the Reimage message as an ad.

To JPM:

You refer to the PCMAG article.

IF you read the comments in that article, you will find that ALL the comments (except the obvious shills) are very negative.

I did install Reimage. It reported non existent Windows problems. It listed 22 faulty DLLs but would not display them when I clicked on the highlighted link. I uninstalled the app, including the hooks in the registry.

So, to sum up, Reimage is a scam product which reports non existent problems to scare neophyte users into buying the app.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:32:47 am »
To Samson:
When I accessed Tweaking Download, it suggested tha,t before I download a Tweaking app, I might like to try Reimage. THAT is NOT an advert, it is a possible affiliate link!
I use ADblock Plus, together with Easy List and Easy Privacy. I also use Chromium Secure with blocking on all sites.

None of these picked up the Reimage message as an ad.

Semantics...It's an advert.

Do you have "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" checked in your adblock filters? Are your filters up to date?
I use the Easy List subscription and do not see the advert with it enabled.

Addendum
: Beats the heck out of me why you downloaded it after you had already decided that it was a "Scam"  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:53:17 pm by Samson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
You are both right on a few things.

1. It is an advertisement only, just like the google ads.

2. The ad use to have the name reimage on it, I don't like that it doesn't now, it doesn't show anything about it NOT being part of tweaking.com You would be surprised how many people dont scroll the page and think the top ad is the actual download link. I am going to see about having the ad changed to at least show their company name on it.

3. I have heard both bad and good things about reimage. I have had people use it and like it, I havent tried their current version so I don't know if they changed things around. A lot of companies tend to let money make their decisions, I guess I am one of the few who don't. Take care of the user and they do it in return. Granted that doesn't pay your bills overnight, but it does build a great reputation.

I have had the reimage ad on the site since the start of tweaking.com and never had any bad feedback from it, but again, who knows if they changed how they do things.

But one thing you will notice is I make sure that my download buttons match the color and design of my site. I also list what site each download link goes to (The mirrors and such) and which one is a direct download from my site.

I have my download links at the top of the content of the page, not the bottom of the page like other sites do to get you to scroll the whole page. But I do not put download links in the banner section which is where that ad is at. :wink:

Shane

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 02:36:58 pm »

So, to sum up, Reimage is a scam product which reports non existent problems to scare neophyte users into buying the app.

Nonsense... Its unique and not for everyone, but to say its a scam in simply nonsense. The comments on that article are over two years old.  The product is way better than it was then.

I dont like the scareware method anymore than anyone else, but unfortunately on the internet that's the number one way to sell product.

Offline gary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 08:56:10 am »
Hi Shane,

PLEASE do not think that I am picking on you and your Tweaking software. What I was objecting to was the possible/probable negative effect reimage would have on your products.

On a voluntary basis, I help and advise people in my area (West Kirby, Wirral, England) who are new to computing. Invariably, when they buy a Laptop or a Notebook, it is loaded with McAfee, Office and a lot of other "free" software (read 60 day trial) which nag them to buy the full package.
Many of them are pensioners who can not afford to pay subscriptions of $300 or $400 a year for malware/antivirus and word processing software, etc.

I clean their PCs, removing all unnecessary software, leaving the operating system and drivers alone.
I download and test free software such as Malwarebytes and Comodo Internet Security Premium together with useful apps such as CCleaner, Defraggler and Kingsoft Office. Then I install it on their hardware and show them how to use it

For testing, I use a separate test Laptop and, after every test, I uninstall the app and clean the remnants left behind, including Registry hooks.
I KNOW that the test Laptop is free from bugs, viruses and  Windows software problems before each test installation.

When I installed and ran Reimage, its log reported 9 Windows problems and 25 DLL problems. When I clicked on the highlight link for the errors,     
the app did not display them but displayed scare messages to buy the app so that the (non-existent) problems could be fixed. Needless to say I will not recommend this app to anybody.

To finish, jpm states that "scare tactics are the Number One way to sell software on the Internet". As he is posting on YOUR Tweaking site he seems to be unaware that you, and many other reputable software suppliers, do NOT plaster your site with nagware, ads, etc., but allow free downloads of fully operational software and request a support donation. Is he a Shill for Reimage ??

To reiterate, your apps are excellent and I always tell people to make a donation if I install them. 

Offline jpm

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:33 am »
Gary -- PUUUULEEEASE!

I'm no shill.  I know what I am talking about. I've got about 20 years in the online business and computer under my belt.  I'm here because I more than support the Tweaking.com software and am helping in anyway I can. I was trying to help you understand how certain models work so you, and others reading, could be more aware. Take it or leave it.

Also, if you are going to quote me... quote me. Don't invent my words.

If you read what I wrote, I explained to you the advertising tactic the company uses and they use that because it is effective. I also said I'm not a fan of that model. Just because I disagree with something doesn't mean it isn't effective. 

You don't have to like it either, but that doesn't make the product an more or less good. I explained you you what they do,why they do and have told you I own a copy that is running on my system right now -- you can either believe me or not, but please don't insult me.