Author Topic: Hard Drive Died  (Read 4023 times)

Offline rhuffman

• View Profile
Hard Drive Died
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
Hey guys, i bought a 5 terabyte drive (seagate) back in october, worked great until now. Was transfer 250 gigs of files to it. Let it run over night and when i checked it the next day it was still working fine. Checked back a few hours later and i have a duplicate file message so i told it to overwrite the file. After 30 minutes of waiting it was still showing the busy icon. Computer was locked up could not do anything, not even ctrl alt delta would work. I had no choice but to power off via power button on computer. Now the drive light is flossing fast and i cannot see the drive on any on my computer (both pc and MAC). Seagate tells me it is an internal power problem, yet i can see the drive listed in sea tools but i cannot run any of the tests, that all fail. Is the a way of getting into this drive. I have tried different USB cable with no luck. I want to get the data back. That is 2 seagate drives that have bit the dust on me.:(

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Drive Died
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »
If it is a power problem then no, the chip board in the case is bad, normally you could take the drive out of the case and put it in a tower and get the data, but that will void the warranty.

An external drive is just a standard hard drive as are in towers, but just in a external case. So there is a small chip board that handles the usb to sata connection and the power. Sometimes that board goes bad.

Shane