Author Topic: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems  (Read 132606 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2015, 03:25:22 pm »
Youtube shows the video in different formats, click on the gear icon on the video and you can increase the quality :-)

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2015, 03:41:39 pm »
D'oh - jeez I'm thick sometimes - forgot all about the quality settings on youtube - probably 'cos I never touch them. Anyway I can view everything now, thanks, the only problem is that the latest backup I've done, as I thought, was from the 7th May ie. before the Repair install which was on the 9th. I'm guessing that means I can't use it? Is copying any of the hive from system32\config\regbackup an option as I've done previously?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
I dont know how that would do, I wouldn't use that old backup, and as for the backup in the config folder, check the date on it and see.

Once you get back up and running you may want to have my registry backup program installed and set to make a backup at every boot :-)

Did the error you got at least say which registry file was corrupt?

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2015, 04:08:12 pm »
No it didn't say Shane, it was just a details pulldown on the Startup repair under the Send/Don't send box, which when you looked at it gave a list of about 10 bits of info like the OS number etc, the 7th just said "Registry corrupt" but no further explanation anywhere  :sad:

The backup in the config/regbackup folder is from the 9th - I presume created at the time of the Repair install? Looking at the 5 files, and comparing them to the 5 in the Config folder, the only one that's changed the date/time stamp is the Software file - the others are all identical in both folders. Should I try backing up the Software file and copying the regbackup version?

PS - I do have your registry backup program but haven't used it since I first installed it last year or set it to do anything automatically, my bad in retrospect...  :sad:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:15 pm »
Well just make sure to save the current reg files now in the config folder, then play around with replacing them with what ever you like and see what happens. Worse comes to worse you can copy the originals back :-)

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »
Hmm, well I've backed up the Software file and copied the Regabckup version in, and it's made no difference - just goes back into the Startup repair loop which can't repair! Still saying Problem Signature 07 Corrupt Registry; Problem Signature 05 ExternalMedia - any ideas on that? Not sure what else I can try as the other Regbackup files are all the same as the ones in Config.....  :rolleyes:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »
I havent had that problem so I dont know anything off the top of my head. A fresh install might be needed since the repair install still had some left over problems anyways.

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:50 am »
Ok, thanks. You may be right, that may be the final solution - I can't get it out of the repair loop at the moment and have tried several fixes I've tried online, to no avail. Currently running a scan from my Seagate tools repair disk while I plod on googling possible causes and solutions, joy....  :rolleyes:  :cheesy:

If anyone else has any experience of this problem or knows what to do or try feel free to jump in and let me know!  :tongue:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:11 am »
If the registry is shot there is no way to recover except from a backup, so since you dont have a good registry backup, backup your important files and do a fresh install, when you go through the install and it gets to the point where it asks you what drive you want to install it on, click on options and delete each partition on the drive, leaving just 1 undone partition, dont format it or anything just select after you delete all the partitions and hit next, the setup will handle everything from there.

By doing this we are getting rid of the old file system and master boot record, just in case it is infected and a new one will be made :-)

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2015, 08:02:19 am »
Ok, thanks for that Shane. Tried a couple of other things I found but still no joy - I can't understand why replacing the registry hive from the day of the repair install hasn't worked - that should be fresh!  :confused: Maybe it's not the registry, I've tried a bootsect repair as well but that's made no difference either. Chkdsk is still stuck trying to correct incorrect index entries on my E: drive as well, but I can't get that to complete, and manually deleting the files and folders causing the problem isn't working either as an error box pops up saying the file is corrupt and unreadable so to run chkdsk!!!   :teeth: going round in circles...

Unfortunately as I'm in the middle of trying to sort a house move out next week, I don't have a lot of time to mess about trying loads of different fixes, and to do the clean install I'll need to backup everything manually via the dos prompt in RE, so it might have to wait, unless I can squeeze it in before I move..  :undecided:

I've never done a clean install/factory reset before, will the failed chkdsk error/corrupt file/folder/sector cause problems with the install? As you're saying not to format the drive I'm wondering whether this could be an issue. Also if I'm deleting partitions, as well as my E: (data), and OS (D: in RE), there's also a Recovery partition (C: in RE) and a Hidden 14Mb FAT32 partition showing up in diskpart - which of these do I mess with & delete if I get to the install?? I don't want to remove something that I can never get back again and screw it up even more!  :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2015, 02:13:34 pm »
When I do a fresh install I do the whole drive, I dont ever keep the store bought machines default partitions as I never use their restore option and I want that space they are taking lol

Shane

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems [Solved]
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2015, 08:26:59 am »
Ah I see, thanks. If there's an option to keep it I might just do that, bit wary about the whole process to be honest, as I've never done it and don't want to cock it up, but it does look like it needs doing.  :undecided:

In the absence of a bootable machine though, and yours over the weekend, and due to exhausting my attempts to get the machine to boot (think the MBR had somehow been screwed up, maybe by the "trojan" or whatever, but nothing I found and tried worked - even fixes marked "this works for everyone"!   :cheesy: ) I've decided to restore the system image for now, just so I can have a working machine which I can get a full program list off of and also do a full file check and backup in Windows (rather than more painfully with dos in the RE!).

So I'm now back to my pre-Repair install state, with non-working WU, and just checked MBAM and it's Still found the same trojan in rpcss.dll+ that it found last week, after all the updates etc!  :confused: not sure how if the machines been rolled back, and MBAM is the only scanner that picked it up! Even Virustotal says it's clear (0/57, including with Malwarebytes!), and looking online it appears that this file isn't even needed for Windows 7 (the rpcss.dll that is, I can't find any reference online to a .dll+!! :omg:), so I'm wondering if it was maybe a false positive? It's quarantined and gone though (apparently, I had to delete it manually even though MBAM said it had quarantined it...) so hopefully no issues there...  :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm going to run all the scans I can to be safe, update as much software as I can (including Windows if it will), then I've got my move to sort out and then a huge backload of work to tackle as well just to try and keep afloat.  :sad: It's probably going to be a couple of weeks at least before I get round to getting back here to doing a clean install and the stuff mentioned that's needed before that, so I'm going to mark this as Solved (as it essentially was as far as the updates and missing service package files were concerned before I restored the system image) and then if I have any issues or questions with the install I'll post a new topic at that point.

And before I forget or sign off temporarily (though I'll still be around), many big Thanks again Shane & Boggin and all on here who have helped, greatly appreciate it all  :smiley: :artist:

Offline wghamilton

• View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems ... Solved
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2015, 11:11:18 am »
My computer is a Dell XPS Studio which came with Vista installed and, eventually, upgrade disks for Windows 7.

I had read these posts and was ready to attach a "Pre-scan Log" which indicated 6,969 files verified and 3,484 files corrupt.  I didn't count them.  :cheesy: I decided to run FixWU.exe one more time to record the error message that I got on the first run.  The error message was 0cx8000247.  I did a quick search on this number and found the following link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/error-code-0xc8000247-cant-install-updates/198166df-9549-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The answer to this question referred to the need for an update to  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (IRRT)  and gave the following link:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&lc=en&cc=uk&destPage=document&dlc=en&product=

Upon completion of the IRRT update, I ran FixWU again and it ran successfully.  Remember all of the re-starts were performed.  I then ran the Pre-scan again and found no errors.  I then ran Windows Update successfully.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:51:26 pm by wghamilton »

Offline Tone111

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2015, 01:00:03 am »
Thanks wg, that all sounds rather interesting and possibly helpful as well  :artist:

I've not seen that WU error message before (surprisingly, as I've seen quite a few others!  :cheesy:), but I've definitely had similar issues to the posts in the links you've provided - .NET, updating anything from MS etc - and I have used the FixWU tool several times, but never with any (apparent) success. Not sure if my machine has an IRRT though, but it does have Intel drivers on it, which as far as I'm aware are up to date...  :undecided:

Anyway, I'm still in the middle of massive upheaval at the moment and haven't even hooked my Dell up for a couple of days now, but when things calm down and I get some time I'll look into these again on the desktop and see if I can get anywhere with them before I go down the full backup/clean install route. 

Cheers  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Windows Servicing Packages files & update problems ... Solved
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2015, 01:45:39 pm »
My computer is a Dell XPS Studio which came with Vista installed and, eventually, upgrade disks for Windows 7.

I had read these posts and was ready to attach a "Pre-scan Log" which indicated 6,969 files verified and 3,484 files corrupt.  I didn't count them.  :cheesy: I decided to run FixWU.exe one more time to record the error message that I got on the first run.  The error message was 0cx8000247.  I did a quick search on this number and found the following link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/error-code-0xc8000247-cant-install-updates/198166df-9549-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

The answer to this question referred to the need for an update to  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (IRRT)  and gave the following link:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02219204&lc=en&cc=uk&destPage=document&dlc=en&product=

Upon completion of the IRRT update, I ran FixWU again and it ran successfully.  Remember all of the re-starts were performed.  I then ran the Pre-scan again and found no errors.  I then ran Windows Update successfully.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Bill

Now that is a really good find. I wish there was deeper info on it and why the driver would be part of the problem and solution.

Shane