Author Topic: Start Menu Power Actions gone  (Read 11867 times)

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
Start Menu Power Actions gone
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:27:48 am »
Hi, i am new to these forums. But i have used the software successfullyin the past.

However, this time i think it has removed the action for on and off button options.

In the start menu and in the options for Start Menu in Properties of Taskbar and Menu Start.

Note: for some reason, systemrestore point did not work, so i cant reverse the changes.

When booted in Safe Mode, the options are there. So it must be something in normal booted windows.

Also, Alt F4 doesnt work to bring up the shutdown options screen. It does work to close windows. So its specifically has to do with the power options.

i put the screenshots in the attachments.

I hope someone can help me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:31:16 am by RemcoH »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Start Menu Power Actions gone
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 06:27:29 pm »
Nothing in any of my programs touches anything to do with that, and in fact this is the first time I have ever seen a problem like that lol

You said it is there in safe mode, but not normal mode. That means it is most likely one of the 3rd party programs in startup causing it. Have you done a clean boot yet?

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/performing_a_proper_windows_clean_boot_on_xpvista78,1.html

Shane

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:11:36 am »
Nothing in any of my programs touches anything to do with that, and in fact this is the first time I have ever seen a problem like that lol

You said it is there in safe mode, but not normal mode. That means it is most likely one of the 3rd party programs in startup causing it. Have you done a clean boot yet?

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/performing_a_proper_windows_clean_boot_on_xpvista78,1.html

Shane

Hi,

Thank you for your advice.

I did what the topic on the forum said about a clean boot. Unfortunately this did not work. Are there any other things i could look at that could cause this.

I have searched Google many times, but nothing comes up with this problem.

I hope you can help me further.

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:08:52 am »
When you say the system restore didn't work, do you mean that failed to restore the options or it reported as being unsuccessful and that no changes had been made ?

If it's the latter then try the restore points again in Safe Mode as an AV program can block a restore point action.

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:42:19 am »
When you say the system restore didn't work, do you mean that failed to restore the options or it reported as being unsuccessful and that no changes had been made ?

If it's the latter then try the restore points again in Safe Mode as an AV program can block a restore point action.

it did had a restore point. but i think it got deleted when putting back a register backup when i found out about the buttons missing in the start menu.

i have been in safe mode. no restore points there.

What i do notice is that in safe mode all the microsoft services, even though they are disabled aswell in normal boot. atleast form what windows shows me.

OH, the program did give some error when doing a system file scan. with the two following: msiexec.exe aclayers.dll when the scan comes around to msiexec the DLL error comes up.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:44 am »
You could go into msconfig and under the Services tab click on Enable all to see what that does.

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:22 am »
You could go into msconfig and under the Services tab click on Enable all to see what that does.

I have enabled everything again(normal boot) Still the options are missing.

What is the difference for the startmenu in safemode and normal boot? it uses classic looks.

i cant figure this out, its really weird.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:09:18 am »
The Startup tab in msconfig has all of the 3rd party programs that will start and run in the background when you boot up.

Most aren't needed and can unnecessarily take up memory.

These items are isolated when you boot up into Safe Mode and of course when you disable them to perform a clean boot.

The "classic looks" are because Safe Mode also isolates your graphics and just uses the onboard VGA which is why you get the lower resolution.

This is handy as often BSODs can be caused because of video drivers and if you can boot up into Safe Mode with Networking where a normal boot will give you a BSOD, then you can download various drivers as required.

Shane should be able to help you with those sfc errors, but copy and paste the command in Option Three of http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html and then you can post the CBS log.

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:36:40 am »
oke i ran the standard sfc scan command and came up with the following log.

See attachements.

Yes, but something in normal boot is doing something to the start menu/ power action button options in both places, that is not happening in Safe Mode.

If i can figure that out i could fix it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:38:38 am by RemcoH »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:05 am »
Unless Shane has a fix for that lot and you use an OEM machine, I think you should consider a factory reset, repair or clean install if you have the install disks.

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
Unless Shane has a fix for that lot and you use an OEM machine, I think you should consider a factory reset, repair or clean install if you have the install disks.

The pc isnt mine. I have asked the guy too look if he received a DVD of Windows 7 Ultimate with the system. That way i can perform an Upgrade which will renew ALL files of windows, but leave all files intact.

Last resort is format and reinstall.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 09:25:37 am »
If he doesn't have an install disk, I have a Win 7 x64 Pro ISO with the eicfg file removed, making it an universal Win 7 x64 install disk up to Ultimate and I don't mind burning a couple of disks to send off to you.

Just PM me your address if you need them.

If it's an OEM machine, you may need to download Belarc Advisor to get the generic product key as an OEM COA sticker key will not work unless it's the same as the vendor's generic one.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:28:47 am by Boggin »

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 10:46:10 am »
If he doesn't have an install disk, I have a Win 7 x64 Pro ISO with the eicfg file removed, making it an universal Win 7 x64 install disk up to Ultimate and I don't mind burning a couple of disks to send off to you.

Just PM me your address if you need them.

If it's an OEM machine, you may need to download Belarc Advisor to get the generic product key as an OEM COA sticker key will not work unless it's the same as the vendor's generic one.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thank you for your help with this.

It is not necessary to send me those discs. Even if it was, they had to go all the way to the Netherlands.

I am currently installing Windows 7 Ultimate.

The program Speccy told me the installation date was all the way back in 2011 when they bought the pc. So think it was time to have them start fresh.

I want to thank both of you for helping me the best you could.

Thank you again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:38:21 pm »
I've recently sent Win 7 disks to a forum member who lives in the US, so the Netherlands would not have been a barrier.

Hope the repair goes well.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 01:12:05 pm »
Sorry, just got back :-)

I am gone during the weekends, that is when I am with the wife and kids.

Did you already do the reinstall?

Shane

Offline RemcoH

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »
Sorry, just got back :-)

I am gone during the weekends, that is when I am with the wife and kids.

Did you already do the reinstall?

Shane

Indeed i have.

Thank you for your support nonetheless.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:45:36 pm »
No problem, I was hoping to find and answer as that is the first time I have seen that problem.

I do know that the start menu pulls its text for the default commands from language files and also pulls the font and theme from some other files as well, where as in safe mode it uses only its default. So i was curious if it had something to do with that and if changing the theme to one of the defaults would fix it.

Oh well, at least you have it up and working :-D

Shane