Author Topic: Fire Fox opens then cloes (solved)  (Read 15519 times)

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
Fire Fox opens then cloes (solved)
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:24 am »
I can not get Fire Fox to run. If I rename Firefox.exe then it runs just fine. Anyway to fix this?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:53:41 pm by parkd1 »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Fire Fox opens then cloes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:18:31 pm »
Hi, The best way is to uninstall and reinstall firefox.
                    It will be better if you uninstall it using the free version of revo uninstaller. You have to choose the 4th option, downunder in revounintaller and then first remove firefox by its installer. Wait, then it goes to the other files reside in the registry and other places, if you click next, Just select the bold items shown and click delete. Then if the screen does not closes, just expand the folders to find bold items and then check it for deletion. click next and it will show the residue files, just select all and then click delete. If prompts for the files will be deleted on next boot, click ok to exit. Then reinstall firefox version for your system and reinstall.
                                     I advise this length because, mere deletion of program would not delete the other files. Go to Help tab, click trouble shooting and then select refresh firefox button, If it solves the problem ok. Otherwise do the uninstall and reinstall. If prompted, do not save any personal settings while uninstalling
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:30:42 pm »
But why does it work just fine when I rename the file? Is something making it not work?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:05 pm »
It may be because of residue of browsing and other history. It is contained in cache and this has to be cleaned completely so that it boots to correct procedure. If there is any blockage in cache or in any other folder, then it is the cause. Normally this cause could not be ascertained as ff would be making improvements to their program always. The ff works if renaming means that its path is different from the problematic and so it works for the first time and firefox create so much old firefox data and sub folders from the old profile and this is not deleted when you install or reinstall.
                                             This is not a major problem if you update the ff regularly. The adobe flash player and adobe reader updates ensure proper browsing experience in firefox.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:37:45 pm »
Firefox keeps add ons and history and all that per user, and is stored under the user profile on the system, you can try renaming the mozilla folder under Appdata\roaming and then see how it does :wink:

Shane

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 03:12:56 pm »
I tried that the it did the same thing but gave me a error message. It was about the profile not beening there or could not use it.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:45:58 pm »
Did you try what i told you about refresh ff and uninstall and reinstall/
                What is the exact error message in ff when you tried Shane suggestion?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:51 am »
I tried that the it did the same thing but gave me a error message. It was about the profile not beening there or could not use it.

Thats odd, because normally on a fresh system there is nothing there anyways and so firefox makes a new profile.

So under Appdata\Local and roaming make sure to rename the Mozilla folder to something else (In both folders and with firefox closed)

Shane

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »
Ok I renamed it and it made a new new profile but did not work unless I rename the Firefox.exe file. Then it works just fine.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:53 am »
Rename firefox.exe? Where is the firefox.exe located that you are renaming? (What folder path is it in?)

Shane

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 06:26:54 pm »
I is in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox. It is the 64bit version. I am running the nightly build. Using it right now. I is mostly working. The things that do not work is cause I renamed the file to get it to run.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:26:24 pm »
I only use the 32bit version of it myself, I havent tried the 64 bit version yet.

I am not sure why renaming the exe would help it though, since the program should be able to run without it anyways lol

But so far so good?

Shane

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:05:51 am »
Still not fixed but able to use it. I think the 64bit is only nightly right now. There must be something there that stops it when it sees firefox.exe but when renamed will run. It just will not run if a program calls for it to open a link cause it can not find the firefox.exe cause I renamed it. Other then that it seems to run just fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:20 am »
Where do you get the 64 bit Firefox version from - I run Win 7 x64 Home Premium and downloading FF has only ever given me the 32 bit version.

Perhaps there's compatibility issues - what does the default 32 bit version run like ?

Have you typed about:crashes into the URL search box to see if that provides any info ?

Edit - Have Googled for Firefox 64 bit but only info so far is that it's still a Beta version. http://www.mozilla64bit.com/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:26:27 am by Boggin »

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:45 am »
Yes the 64bit is still a nightly build. You can go here if you would like to try it.

https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 09:09:50 am »
No Thanks  :smiley: - I only have FF installed as a spare browser to eliminate if a problem is just IE related.

Did you try about:crashes to see if that had any info ?

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:32 am »
Yes I did. The last one it showed is before the problem happened and no crash after.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 09:55:33 am »
How does the normal FF perform - perhaps the Beta isn't quite ready yet or it doesn't like something on your computer.

It can be a chew running in a clean boot to see if it still crashes and then re-enabling bits at a time and rechecking FF, but at least you may get to know if it is the Beta or because of what else you have.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
Re: Fire Fox opens then cloes (solved)
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50:25 pm »
A program I have been using is causing it to not run right. It has worked will with it but now it does not. Bug in the program. The program that causes it to not work right is Process Lasso. I have filed a bug report to get it fixed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 03:29:55 pm »
A program I have been using is causing it to not run right. It has worked will with it but now it does not. Bug in the program. The program that causes it to not work right is Process Lasso. I have filed a bug report to get it fixed.

PL looks like a canny program, but wonder how it would get on with my Norton 360 which likes to rule the roost in the background.

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 02:28:24 pm »
The problem is now fixed. It should work just find with Norton. He has worked with them to get it to work. If you have any problems with it not working just file a bug at the forums. He works quick to get things fixed and is make the program better all the time. Use the program all the time. Love it. Works great as a task manager too. Their great help on the forums over there too just like this site. You should give it a try.