Author Topic: cannot install/register msvcr120.dll **(Solved)? / Format**  (Read 15104 times)

Offline SethTP

• View Profile
Hello, Ive been having problems with a couple of games on Steam saying they need the file msvcr120.dll, I searched the web and found i need to install Visual C++ and found several links with the install files at official Microsoft sites.
However running them does nothing. I have tried the uninstall / repair on both the 64 bit and 32 bit installers but the file does not appear. So i tried downloading just the file itself and trying to use "regsvr32 MSVCR120.DLL" in both the system32 and syswow64 directory but a mesage pops up saying "the module "msvcr120.dll" was loaded but entry-point dllregisterserver was not found. make sure that the file is a valid dll or ocx file and try again" im not sure why the installers from microsoft would not register the correct dll? i tried using system restore to a previous date and nothing. I also tried SFC/scannow without results. has anyone heard of a fix for this besides format and reinstall windows? Thank you.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4094 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 299076 MB;
Motherboard: EVGA, 132-CK-NF78
Antivirus: None
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 10:28:32 pm by SethTP »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: cannot install/register msvcr120.dll
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:53:15 pm »
Hi, Did you try the regsvr dll command with administrative privileges. Try it should work. Go to start , search box, type cmd and then right click to run as admin and then try to register the dll file,
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »
The files wont register, they dont have the code in them to so dont bother doing that.

The one that is in the system32 folder is different than the one in the syswow64 folder. One is 32 bit and the other is 64 bit and you need to have the right version. I have those files on my Windows 7 system, so I can get you both of those files and the proper ones.

Normally if replacing the file doesnt do the trick then the problem is in the registry as that is where the games and programs look to see where to read the dll.

So for now I have attached the files from my system and for what folder they need to go in, replace the ones you have with these and see if that does it, if it doesnt then we will need to start looking in the registry :wink:

Shane

Offline SethTP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:24:33 pm »
Thank you, Before you posted I copied both the dll files from another computer but they still wouldn't register, Also certain elements of web pages were not displaying on both Chrome and IE, Your probably right about a registry error and I just formatted and re-installed win7. Thank you Anyways.