Author Topic: Any help  (Read 31740 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any help
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:36 am »
Have you run those other two commands and what did they report if done previously ?

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:51 pm »
Command 1 reports as per photo 1.

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:06 pm »
2nd command says component store repairable.

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 06:59:06 pm »
Dsim log attached.

Seems csi issues

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 09:09:08 pm »
/restorehealth bombs out saying cant down package.

Anyone have any ideas.. Help above hasn't worked. I think its made it worse, as temp files wont save now either.

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 10:59:14 pm »
And getting errors as per picture

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:04 am »
When I expand your pics I'm only getting half of them so they tell me nothing.

You are better off using the .png extender.

I think that unless Shane can replace those missing Packages for you then you're probably looking at a repair install as the Store seems to be corrupt.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 09:29:35 am »
There was no damages packages, now I have stacks.

Now a repair wont even get files from update.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »
Neither of those commands I have asked you to run would cause further damage.

Shane won't be back until Monday now as the weekend belongs to his family.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 03:41:50 pm »
The fact that dism is failing out and sfc isnt able to fix files means there is something deeply screwed up somewhere.

By any chance did you get the chkdsk log from the event viewer? I just want to make sure it shows 0 KB in bad sectors.

Do you have your Windows 8 install disk by any chance, it might be a good idea to do a repair install.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

Shane

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
Yes no bad blocks.

Prescan shows now bad blocks.

Windows come pre-installed.

Dism says unable to download files, and several apps are now failing due to access denied when saving temp files.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:30 pm »
Do this trick with the UAC. In Windows 8 you cant turn off the UAC, you can only make it stop asking you, MS decided to keep it on, unless you put in a registry key to turn it off.

But I have been seeing a bug in the UAC on a lot of systems after some update a few months ago where the UAC wasnt working like it should and wasnt asking when it should and was blocking a lot of programs, which would then get the permission denied errors.

The trick is easy, change the UAC slider bar to anything else than what it is now, hit apply and then change it back and hit apply and then reboot. This fixes that odd bug I have found, lets see if that trick helps any. Of course in Windows 8 makes sure you have the UAC set at the default value when done.

Shane

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 06:29:58 am »
Thanks.

Just an update the csi errors are matches to the entries we deleted from the registry. :)

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 07:16:36 am »
I've done a registry rollback.

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 12:05:06 am »
Thanks for fix.

Well it didn't work.  I'm believing this app has made it worse.  66 manifest now broken. And as many cat files.

No bad sectors on disk

So how do I roll back everything this app did.

Disk etc says cant download files. Something is stopping system connecting to update.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:06:56 am by kinaton »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »
M program doesnt do anything to the system files. 90% of the repairs are all in the registry, so normally just restoring the registry to before the repairs is all that is needed.

The pre scan just looks for missing files and signatures, the files it knows to look for it pulls from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages"

That is the list of files that are suppose to be in the packages folder. The pre scan loops through that registry key and if there is an entry in there but the file isnt in the folder then it will show as missing. Then after it looks for any missing it then calls the windows api to report if the files have a good signature or not, that is just a true/false return.

Cat files have their digital signature on them, the point of a cat file is to hold the hash values of any files types that cant hold a digital cert, in this case the .mum files. They are just text files in xml format you can open in notepad. So when the programs asks windows if the hash is good for that mum file windows goes and checks the cat database, if the cat file isnt there or if it is and the mum files was changed somehow then it will report back as bad.

Now if you installed any updates after the registry backup then those updates could have simply removed some older updates and thus the files would be gone and it would also be removed from the registry path I gave you. But if you restored the registry after that happened then those would show up in there again and thus the program shows missing files.

If that is what happened then I would just ignore the pre-scan. But remember the program doesn't remove or modify any of those files or any system files. The only files removed are temp files and the cache from windows updates when you run the windows updates repair. Otherwise everything is done in the registry :-)

Shane

Shane

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »
Thanks. So restoring registry will put back all file security as they was before. That I didn't know.

No updates can be installed, 14 now. Fails each time, and windows sucks ao bad and you can't remove any updates as that fails also.  No way of reinstalling ones that are not listed as it says already installed.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 02:11:07 pm »
Restoring the registry will put back the registry and its permissions. The file permissions it doesn't, but only for Windows 8 I only have it set the permissions back to default, I don't change the permissions like I do in Windows 7 and older because 8 is so far the easiest OS to break. If one permissions is out of place, or one folder is missing or anything it just bombs out.

The problem is with each version of Windows each thing relies on something else. So when one thing fails down the line you have no clue what. So I am worried 10 will be even worse.

Perfect example in 8 is if a certain registry key has its owner changed from system to anything else the apps will all fail. Even when the owner is administrator and system still has full permissions, every app will still fail.

There was also another one where if a folder was missing the apps wouldnt download and update. Instead of the app store making the folder it needed it would just give a unhelpful error message and the user would have no clue why it failed. This was nothing more than a temp folder for the downloading of the apps, it didnt even make the folder! How the crap is that not a bug? lol

This is also true with updates, and as another thing as well the optional features list in the add/remove programs, if it encounters a single error, not matter how small when reading the packages files to know what to list it just bombs out and doesn't continue loading the ones it could read, so the list is just blank.

The real problem with Windows, they don't do ANY kind of error handling. So hit even the smallest error and everything goes to hell. I never understood why they did this.

Shane

Offline kinaton

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 02:29:47 pm »
I cant add .net3.5 bombs out, dism errors with error code 5. Update fails.

Seems since I ran all fixes, the system is worse.

Anyone have a list of all updates since SP1 and know where they are are referenced in registry. And have an app to remove references easily.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34:03 pm »
I run my windows repair on about 10 to 12 windows 8 machines a week from my customers, never had anything that is happening to you happen to any of those machines. Any time there was a hiccup restoring the registry is all that was needed.

Something else is going on, and talking to you over multiple threads is making it hard for me to keep track lol

I will continue with you in the other thread :wink:

Shane