Author Topic: Cloned Win 7 64 bit "seems" to boot but no video  (Read 5633 times)

Offline FreeCat

• View Profile
Cloned Win 7 64 bit "seems" to boot but no video
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:07 am »
Howdy - I have a Dell Precision T7500 using two AMD W7000 video cards (not the best choice of video card, I know).  I cloned the Win 7 64 bit and placed the clone in a Dell Precision 690.  From the sound of the hard drive on booting, the 690 seems to have booted but without video.

At first I had an AMD 2450 Firepro in the 690 and with that card I saw the boot-up posting, memory testing, etc. but still a blank screen after booting.

Next, I put in the AMD W7000 card (this is the card that was originally in the T7500 so the video drivers are set for W7000) and still I get a blank screen after booting; but another observation:  With the W7000 (trying all 4 spigots) the monitor ON LIGHT is blinking which normally means the monitor is not connected to a card.  This did not happen with the AMD 2450 Firepro video card.

Next, I tried one of those USB to monitor devices (which normally works on other machines and did once work on this 690) and still I get blank screen and a blinking monitor light meaning (to me) no monitor connection.

I thank you in advance and I would greatly appreciate ANY suggestions, other than I should kill myself.  :) 

For instance are there ANY video cards that always work or is there a way around this?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Cloned Win 7 64 bit "seems" to boot but no video
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »
Please dont double post, I removed the other thread you started for the same thing :wink:

You said that when you turn the system on that you can see the memory test and such, it is only when Windows tries to load that you get the blank screen. A lot of times this can happen if Windows is trying to set a resolution the monitor doesnt like, if that is what is happening then you should be able to boot into safe mode with no problems.

Have you tried booting into safe mode yet?

Shane