Author Topic: how to integrate service packs for ms office 2007  (Read 18247 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
how to integrate service packs for ms office 2007
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:14:40 am »
Hi,
               If you install ms office and then download the service packs exes and then click, it works ok. But i want the service packs to be integrated. I came across this thread, which says, that mere extracting the exe with 7 zip and then paste them all in the updates folder in the installation dvd or copied folder of the same in the pc. I tried and then did write the files to disc thro imageburn. But it does not add the updates and showed the original version in the resource tap, in the word options.
                            But in files waiting to be written to cd dialogue box appears and updates folder in the created folder. I deleted those, as it should have been written when imgburn wrote  it. What went wrong with my extraction.
                             The link which i have followed is given here for reference.
http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-slipstream-service-packs-into-microsoft-office-setup/
                                     I have also perused the update folder, where there was a readme.txt saying that any patch added here will be taken automatically when install the office for the first time.
                                          I have uninstalled the office in my pc, before attempting the integration.
                                                I also came across the extract command differently in other forums which did not work correctly. it gives command line syntax, which is after found to be nowhere to be seen to copy. I learnt that msp files have to be extracted from the exes and placed in the updates folder to take effect. i tried those command, but command seems to work but the result could not be seen in the folder i marked. I have given that link also for ref.
This is the model command i used with my system drive specification:
"C:\Office2007\SP3\office2007sp3-kb2526086-fullfile-en-us.exe" /extract:"C:\Office2007\SP3\extract"
http://www.howto-outlook.com/otherprograms/slipstreamo2k7sp.htm
             I have applied this command on my elevated cmd.
                      Please advise.
                                   when i installed the exe, then it shows the sp3 version
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: how to integrate service packs for ms office 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 02:39:08 pm »
I dont slipstream them, I just have the setup on my hard drive and you can put the msp updates into a folder called "Updates" where the setup.exe is and the setup will auto install updates from there.

This one shows how to do it, it is for 2010 but it is the same for 2007 :-)
http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_resource_kit/archive/2011/05/05/using-the-updates-folder-to-deploy-software-updates-with-an-office-2010-installation.aspx

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:30:52 am »
Hi, Shane

the link gives elaborate expansion of ideas to meet all situation. Would you kindly tell me in nutshell.
                         I have got the setup files and also the update from the link. How to extract the msp files to the visible folder on your system and then copy to the update folder. Thats the part, i want to know. Please tell me how to do that. Should i have to install msi update also?
                              The procedure i adopted in the second link to my post, has not produced the desired results. How to extract the msp files to a folder to be copied later to updates folder.
                                         Should i have to create a folder on the same path where i copy the setup file? what is the exact command. Is it correct, if i go to the elevated cmd prompt and type the cmd as follow> should i create the folders as in the path in my second link syntax c:   etc.
                                              I would be expecting your jet reply, shane, as always,

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:37:55 am »
Have you tried this to slipstream the service pack?
http://www.howto-outlook.com/otherprograms/slipstreamo2k7sp.htm

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 03:18:49 am »
Hi, Yes shane. I tried this command. But some how, when i issued the command, it pops up the help menu in GUI surface of how to use the commands help box.
To extract in cmd , what command should i use and should it be in windows system 32 cmd prompt, as admin

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:41:56 am »
Hi, I made two mistakes while issuing the cmd. One file name, and the path. When downloaded with downthemall it alerted renaming as older one already exist. It was a part file. it renamed and so the file name was corrected as in the origianal file name in the link.
                  Second, i have not created the folders as, i thought that it will be created automatically. But it was not to be and hence, i was getting the help prompt in GUI. I corrected the file name and also the path. I uninstalled and reinstalled after copying the msp files extracted and it was a smooth process and it auto updated after original installation. Thanks shane,
                         One more question, how when extracted , it gets to msp format automatically. Pl
Is there similar tricks when installing service pack of windows

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
Hi, Shane before closing this thread as solved, i have asked one query. Pl look in to that.
                            When i tried the first link in my first post of this thread, i could extract with 7 zip, but those were extracted as they are found in the original files.
                                   But when i  tried as per your choice, in the second link, all the files were extracted to the folder with msp format. How this comes about.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:21:04 pm »
Pl
Is there similar tricks when installing service pack of windows

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:23:07 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »
Hi, Gamez
                      I already installed service pack of office 2007. The query is related to manual integration of windows service pack
Hi, Shane,
                           Can i install service pack after the first install of windows, without any other windows updates.
                              Came across the hotfix roll by microsoft, after the release of service pack1. Can i install this after the service pack 1 installation without any other updates, if it is not mandatory.
                                  Precisely, can i download and install service pack 1 to my windows 7 and then after, the hot fix roll downloads only in my pc.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:46:11 am by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 10:44:55 pm »
Hi,
                        Any reply to my above query

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:08:30 am »
This link explains this perfectly just follow the step's it tells you to do:
http://www.faqforge.com/windows/manually-slipstream-sp1-into-windows-7-installer-dvd/

here is every link in English for the stuff you need cause the link on the web site is in German I Believe  :wink:

SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Windows AIK:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:14:47 am »
Hi, Please see the post no. 9. I asked a pertinent query .

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:40:29 am »
oh shoot I'm sorry Jraju I read your post wrong.
So you don't want any other updates after SP1. that's kinda risky but after a clean install of windows 7 sp1 you would check Don't check for updates then turn of the notifications via action center.

But what I do is I set it to check for updates but don't download or install them. So later I can review them and install them if I need them or hide them if I don't need them.
example:KB2970228
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970228
this is an "Update to support the new currency symbol for the Russian ruble in Windows" junk update in my own opinion.

Did this help you out Jraju?
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 02:39:46 am »
Hi, My query is little different
                         One could install sp1. and then One could install hotfix roll up, which contains security updates after sp1. My query is , can we updates these two only, without considering regular window updates. Since both are exe files thro win installer, would leaving out other updates would create some problem?
                               I am fed up with updates. Some updates corrupt other updates within themselves if we fail to install some patches from the site.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/03/20/enterprise-hotfix-rollup-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-available-now.aspx
Here you could see that after sp1, the msoft released this fix, instead of sp2. These are not availble in regular window updates, but in microsoft update catalogue only.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:43 am »
Hmmmm that is a question. I don't see why not. But to be on the safe side try it on a virtual windows 7 using VMware. The question I would be wondering the most is the security vulnerability updates after service pack one but before the hotfix. if you would make the system vulnerable...
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 03:09:01 am »
Hi, I see your point also. But updates are still coming for IE, which i seldom use. Updates and security updates are necessary. But my question is , will the system be correctly working after these two updates only.
                         Most of the updates , of course, try to minimize the compromise of pcs, i think these updates at time pose serious problems in even in booting or working of other window components. Dont you come across , them releasing updates and then patch for those updates for failture of some syntax or bugs in the earlier ones.
                                        Precisely, my question is whether the computer would work normal, if these two only are updated.
                                              I also need the comment from Shane.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:12:00 am by jraju »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:16 am »
Tell you what let me install a virtual windows 7 with just sp2 and not update it then install the hotfixes via the catalog and ill post back this may take me a bit but ill post back  :wink:
I just want to be sure before I give a definitive answer. lol.
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 06:27:27 am »
Hi, Shane
                   You might have known about the hotfix roll up for windows 7 after service pack, and it is not auto updated by windows updates. I have downloaded the file, and it has two files, one exe and one msu files. How i can i update . Should i double click the two files or one exe file is enough. why there are two files. Is there any different method to be used for updating. I hear that these fixes also reduce the boot time sizably. I am having windows updates enabled and slowly updating the required updates.
    1 which file should i double click . msu or exe. why there are two exes in the hotfix folder.
                     Note bena: i am having stand alone system

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:34 am »
Hi, Boggins,
                       Do you have any suggestion ?. Is there another way of updating this or one has to click both exe and msu. Please, it is informed that it has 90 fixes after msft released sp1.
Please let me know , how to install these fixes, if it reduce boot time and improve network experience.
                         For your information, normally, i do not updates window updates. But somehow, everything has changed and it is updating all the missing updates up to now.
                              Can i wait all the updates and then install this . A word of advice on this will be very much appreciated. The link is given in post no.14 of this thread.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:46:58 am by jraju »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 04:35:34 am »
Hi,
            Shane, Please see the link, where the updates for some of bugs found after service pack 1 is released have been updated with the hotfix roll i mentioned in my post. It contains fixes for 90 odd bugs and improvements in altogether performance. It is like service pack2. This update is not auto updated thro window updates. And i just clicked the msu file to get the hotfix file updated. The improvement in my pc is minimized boot time. Others are too technical to visualise. Please see this link and say your views
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/25296.list-of-performance-hotfixes-post-sp1-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1.aspx

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 06:22:18 am »
Hi, Boggins , did you see the link.