Author Topic: Windows 8.1 and 10 fail when suddenly PC power off  (Read 13471 times)

Offline Saad

• View Profile
Windows 8.1 and 10 fail when suddenly PC power off
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:09:36 am »
Hi,
Windows 8.1 and 10 fail when suddenly PC power off (without shutdown).
i asked it before:
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,2272.msg14733.html#msg14733

after your answer i bought win 8.1 license. i installed new clean win8.1 with license, but this bug there was. (after several reinstalling my license locked!)

now windows 10 TP has this problem and more. after occur the problem, same win8.1 problems and start menu not open and notification bar not open and... how i can fix the problem?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:11:18 am by Saad »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8.1 and 10 fail when suddenly PC power off
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »
(after several reinstalling my license locked!)

Usually you can only install to 3 computers max depending on the version of windows you bought. Unfortunately I can't give you any information on licensing windows.

now windows 10 TP has this problem and more

Windows 10 is still in testing.  :wink:
Julian

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:29:49 pm »
"Windows Repair" can't repair the problem?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:47:04 am »
From the subsequent sub links, the licence you bought was bogus, so your install is still not a legit copy - did you rectify that ?

Ideally when you are subject to frequent power outages it would be best to buy an UPS, but with trade restrictions this could prove difficult.

If your Win 8.1 licence is now genuine then you can contact MS and ask to have it reactivated, but I don't think there are any restrictions on reinstalling the same OS onto the same machine and using the same product key.

The problem arises when you try to install it onto another machine or when you have had to replace the motherboard, as it's the motherboard it takes the "fingerprint" of.

Frequent power outages can take their toll on computer hardware and some computer vendors have a decent diagnostic program to check out the hardware.

If you let us know the make & model of your computer, then we may be able to find the appropriate diagnostics if your machine is an OEM one.

The frequent power outages could also have taken their toll on the RAM, so doing a memory diagnostic test may show up something, but if you have more than one RAM module fitted then it's best removing and running the memory test on just one module at a time.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter chkdsk

This is a read-only mode but will report any file or HDD problems and recommend remedial action where necessary.

If the chkdsk reports any bad sectors then back up your personal stuff and run a chkdsk /r

This won't repair the bad sectors but will repair system files where it can and if the amount of bad clusters is only small, then you should be able to continue to use it for a while longer, but create full external system images in preparation for a complete fail.

If the chkdsk reports no problems then enter sfc /scannow to see that that reports.

If the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files, this could be the result of recent Windows Updates (if you can get any) or genuine corruption.

Regardless of whether sfc finds anything, you can also run this command - dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and see what that reports, but hardware problems trumps software so you need to determine if the outages have caused hardware problems.

If you have resolved the problem of having a legit licence, then further help can be given.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:03:46 am by Boggin »

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:35:32 am »
i bought license http://itresearches.ir/ , the only site that sale Windows licenses.  after locking my license, i told problem to them and they rediorect me to mictosoft website. i contacted to microsoft online help, but they said we have not any Iranian sub.

but my Windows 10 build 10130 registered with a legal and public license that there is in microsoft windows download page.

i has tried the your Windows Repair steps. problem still there is.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 04:01:30 am »
There is a big difference in activating Win 10 TP and a released working Windows OS version.

I would get back to http://itresearches.ir/ and take it up with them to find out the validity of their product keys.

As an interim you may find one of the keys in https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html could work, but they are only for Win 8.1 Core or Home and Win 8.1 Pro.

The Enterprise version you have installed is generally just used by businesses.

What did either of those commands report ?

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 04:04:05 am »
What did either of those commands report ?
No problem

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 04:08:50 am »
Are you able to revert back to Win 7 ?

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 04:16:44 am »
Are you able to revert back to Win 7 ?
No. sorry.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 04:36:45 am »
Before upgrading a machine it's always best to create a full external system image and a Repair disk should things not work out and with an OEM machine to run a program like Belarc Advisor, so that you can make a note of the vendor's generic product key should you need to do a clean install.

Did you download Win 8.1 or did you get an install disk ?

If you have the disk then you could try a Refresh or a Reset http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

I don't know if those steps in the article to repair install Win 8.1 will allow you to downgrade from Enterprise, but until you can sort out this licence problem, I think you are always going to have problems.

I'm going to have to go now, but I can't give you any more help on this other than what I've already suggested.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 04:39:29 am »
When my LEGIT key is picky with the activation Because sometimes windows activation can be picky

slmgr -dli  (this will display the current activation/licensing info of the pc your on)

slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (allows you to replace the current product key with the specified)

slmgr -xpr (shows expiration date of current license)

slmgr -upk (uninstalls current product key and i would assume puts license back to trial state)

slmgr -ato (activates current pc’s license)

So the steps I take is I run slmgr -upk and uninstall my product key
then I run slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (replace x's with you Microsoft product key.)
after that complete's I run
slmgr -ato

Just a side note if you do not give slmgr -ipk a valid product code it will fail on the
slmgr -ato

Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
This isnt a windows problem, this is a hardware problem. You have gone through multiple OS's, fresh installs and Windows 10, yet the same power problem is still there. That means it is hardware related, which hardware is failing I dont know, hard to tell without seeing it. Could be power supply, motherboard and so on.

But windows repair wont fix this, reinstalling windows wont fix it, as you have seen. Again this isnt software related, you have bad hardware. :wink:

Shane

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 05:35:14 am »
This isnt a windows problem, this is a hardware problem. You have gone through multiple OS's, fresh installs and Windows 10, yet the same power problem is still there. That means it is hardware related, which hardware is failing I dont know, hard to tell without seeing it. Could be power supply, motherboard and so on.

But windows repair wont fix this, reinstalling windows wont fix it, as you have seen. Again this isnt software related, you have bad hardware. :wink:

Shane

i said my pc some times turnoff suddenly. the reason is power off and turnoff the our town electricity, and all machines and electricity systems of all houses turn off. sorry my engliash is bad and i can't describe more and better.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 02:15:52 pm »
i said my pc some times turnoff suddenly. the reason is power off and turnoff the our town electricity, and all machines and electricity systems of all houses turn off. sorry my engliash is bad and i can't describe more and better.

okay so you are saying that your town's electricity gets shut off as well as your house. and when you start windows it fails.
after the electricity shutoff.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:08 am »
You really really should get a battery backup to have your system plugged into :wink:

Shane

Offline Saad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 09:04:08 am »
Please find a way and develop an item in your program to repair this issue. Thankfully.