Author Topic: HELP! HELP! BIG PROBLEMS AFTER REPAIR !  (Read 99275 times)

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
Re: HELP! HELP! BIG PROBLEMS AFTER REPAIR !
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2015, 06:55:40 pm »
I finally took my machine to a computer repair place. My Windows is corrupted, and he is in the process of reformatting my drive and reinstalling Windows. Apparently, when I uninstalled that Windows update, everything got screwed up...oh well, I tried, and now, I'm going to have fun reconstructing my system and getting back to normal. Through this whole thing, my biggest disappointment was that Shane did not give me any advice or help. I, without even trying the program, subscribed to the pro edition based upon the allocades of Major Geeks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2015, 12:49:26 am »
Uninstalling a Windows Update from Installed Updates will not screw your system up and from what I understand, your problem with ole32.dll pre-dates that update removal.

If the repair shop that you took your machine to had done a repair install instead of a format and clean install, your programs and personal stuff would have remained intact and we could have helped you to perform a repair install had you come back after my suggestion for you to do just that.

It is the repair shop that has added the extra work for you.

This thread that I had created explains Shane's unavoidable absence. http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3252.0.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:57:40 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2015, 02:25:55 am »
Hi, I also feel that if you had opted for WRepair, then you would have the problem solved without losing your entire applications and other programs.
                                Windows updates deletion will not do any wrong on any computer. It will not update those updates. It does not change basic file structure in any of the installaton wim. So, the problem is that some of the windows files got corrupted which could not be repaired .
                                           Anyhow, glad that you are going to have a fresh experience of windows install
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2015, 03:08:22 am »
Oh, well.....my luck! :teeth:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2015, 03:09:55 am »
Sorry for the late reply!

I have been doing 16 hour days for the last week getting my family moved and my new office built in my garage, it is now 3;10 am for me and I have over 60 threads to look over and answer, so I didnt read the 5 pages worth of posts on this one lol

So sally, how have things gone so far?

Shane

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:07 am »
Thank you for replying, Shane. I haven't picked up my machine yet..it's not ready but should be this morning! I have never had to take my computer to a shop in the 30 + years I have been nutty over them. I'm not a tech, but I can usually fix my own problems! I have had techs come to me occasionally, though, over the years to help with a glitch or so....the worst time was around 2000 when I had been on vacation for a couple of weeks and my son had ruined my hard drive by turning it into a recording studio using Napster...( he was forbidden to use my machine as I needed it for my business, but you probably know how teenagers are...if you don't yet. YOU WILL..I promise :cheesy:)

Anyway a tech helped me install a new hard drive and get back running. Other than that, no serious problems as I am careful.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 03:25:19 am »
Good to hear it is getting fixed, a new hard drive was a good idea. :cheesy:

If you had a normal Windows install disk you could have done this yourself, but Microsoft wnet and made that a pain in the butt to get because of their goal to have 1 billion machines on Windows 10 by 2020.

A happy note for myself, my old house I could only get a 15 mb internet connection, my new house I am now on a 100 mb connection. Ohhhh yeah  :artist:

Shane

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2015, 03:42:38 am »
Do you mean a new format and install? The others Boggin and Jraju said it should have been a repair install?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2015, 03:47:03 am »
If you had the disk you could have tried a repair install first, this lets you keep all the files and programs. If it didnt do the trick then a fresh install would be needed, which you could have done if you had the install disk :-)

Shane

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2015, 04:54:56 am »
I did not have the install disks, but Windows is being reloaded with the repair tech's OEM disks? Could he have done a repair/install?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2015, 05:30:19 am »
Yes, he could have done a repair install with a Win 7 SP1 ISO disk.

I could - and still can supply you with a couple of those as I've done for others, with which you could have performed your own repair install.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2015, 01:29:19 pm »
Yes he could have tried a repair install first, and if a new drive was needed he could have imaged the old drive over to the new and then did the repair install, but if the drive wasnt readable then a fresh install would have been the only option.

Shane

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »
Well, I don't know about that, but it's too late now, anyway..... :teeth: :cry: :confused: :sad:

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2015, 06:56:16 pm »
Well, I don't know about that, but it's too late now, anyway..... :teeth: :cry: :confused: :sad:
Hey Sally any update how'd everything go with the tech?
Julian

Offline sallyb

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2015, 09:58:57 am »
So far, so good! I had to reinstall everything, but looks like everything is back to normal...FINALLY!! I'll keep you posted if I have any problems. Thanks for inquiring and helping... :smiley:

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2015, 11:16:26 am »
So far, so good! I had to reinstall everything, but looks like everything is back to normal...FINALLY!! I'll keep you posted if I have any problems. Thanks for inquiring and helping... :smiley:
No problem I tried my best.
 but  sometimes starting fresh is the only option. and it makes the computer feel new.  :wink:
Julian