Author Topic: Registry Backup Problem  (Read 9513 times)

Offline Digerati

• View Profile
Registry Backup Problem
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:05:20 am »
New to here, but not forums or computers.

Ztruker asked me to check out Registry Backup and report any problems here. I am getting same error, so rather than start new thread, I piggybacked here (but can open new thread, if desired).

Error message:
Volume Shadow Copy Failed! isn't running. Check the Log_VSS.txt file to view any errors.
And said log says,
C:\>-script="C:\Windows\temp\vss-setvar.bat" -exec="C:\Windows\temp\vss.bat" C:
'-script' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

This is with Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. I have re-registered wmiutils.dll with no help.

Minor quibble - note the lower case "i" in isn't. Also, installation prompts for "Shortcut Folder". I find the term "Shortcut Folder" confusing as that is not a common term used in program installations. It should say "Start Menu" location.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2017

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Registry Backup Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:01:42 am »
Ztruker asked me to check out Registry Backup and report any problems here. I am getting same error, so rather than start new thread, I piggybacked here (but can open new thread, if desired).

Your problem is very different than the other so I just split the thread to a new one :-)

That is an odd error to get, can you attach the vss log for me?

Minor quibble - note the lower case "i" in isn't. Also, installation prompts for "Shortcut Folder". I find the term "Shortcut Folder" confusing as that is not a common term used in program installations. It should say "Start Menu" location.

I see how the "isn't" shouldnt be there, I will fix that. On the short cut folder I use setup factory 9 to make my installs and that is just the default as they have it in the program. Thankfully I can change it though :-)

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:11:15 am »
I think I might already see the problem, I noticed it with the "isn't running" line.

It should have said what vss exe it was running.

This is in the program
"Volume Shadow Copy Failed! " & sVSSexe & " isn't running.

It should show what vss exe it has chosen to run. The program uses WMI to pull the OS information on the system so it knows which exe to run. If that didnt work I can see the problem.

Attach all the logs for me if you would. I am also making an update to the program for this Sunday that will put all the variables it pulls from the system into the log file so I can tell when it isnt pulling something correctly :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:34:45 pm »
New test version is in the works if you want to give it a try :-)

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,278.msg2218.html#msg2218

Shane

Offline Digerati

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:54 am »

Your problem is very different than the other so I just split the thread to a new one :-)
First, sorry for hijacking the other thread. I should have just started a new one.

Still no good with new version. When it first runs, I get the following odd error:

Unable to detect which version of windows to run the VSS. Please manually select the correct VSS exe to use.
(Quibble note: note the lower case "w" on Windows).

When I select okay to close the error popup, I get the Registry Backup GUI, but then the backup fails with the same Volume Shadow Copy Failed error.

Here is the Log_VSS.txt:

[6/10/2012 - 8:50:38 AM]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\Utilities\Registry Backup>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD /D C:\

C:\>
"C:\Windows\temp\vss_start.bat"

C:\>set path=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;D:\Utilities\Registry Backup\files

C:\>
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2017

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:59 am »
First, sorry for hijacking the other thread. I should have just started a new one.

No problem at all bud :cheesy:

Unable to detect which version of windows to run the VSS. Please manually select the correct VSS exe to use.

Your the reason I made this new option. WMI is messed up on your system and the program isnt able to pull the OS info. (I have a WMI repair tool, but I want yours to stay like this to test this new feature LOL)

And in the vss log I still see it isnt using the right exe. Make sure you updated all the files with the beta 1.2.0 and give it another try :-)

You can also try the new fall back method. I updated the vss_start.exe so need to make sure it gets copied over as well.

Also post the backup log. The new version logs the system variables it pulls. I would like to see what it shows :wink:

Shane