Author Topic: Envelope Printer - Problem printing envelope to HP C6180  (Read 10181 times)

Offline tmoore8407

• View Profile
Envelope Printer - Problem printing envelope to HP C6180
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »
I'm using Envelope Printer 1.7.1, Windows 8.1, HP PhotoSmart C6100 series printer. The #10 envelope being printed is offset by about 1/2 in. When using the Print Preview feature, the box around the envelope is smaller than the actual #10 envelope (cut off on the right). I printed to a PDF file and everything seems to be OK. So I think the program is running fine, but a printer parameter may not be correct.

Information shown at the bottom of the Print Preview page shows:
          "Margins reported by printer: (Top: 0.126 in) (Left: 0.069 in) (Right: 0.577 in) (Bottom: 0.129 in)"

I think the problem might be that the Right Margin reported by the printer is not correct - should it be 0.058 or something similar?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Envelope Printer - Problem printing envelope to HP C6180
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:38:34 am »
Can you post a screen shot of the printer settings on the main window of the program?

The program itself is asking Windows for the information from the printer, I do know you can set the margins of the printer int he printer properties, I wonder if another program might have changed them.

I use the #10 on my hp laserjet as well and my margins are reported as

"Margins reported by printer: (Top: 0.333 in) (Left: 0.160 in) (Right: 0.167 in) (Bottom: 0.160 in)"

Of course this is a laserjet while yours inst, but it just gives you an idea. Post that screen shot for me so I can double check the printer settings :-)

In order to use the custom sizes you have to use the post script printer driver for your model, otherwise you have to use the printer supported ones.

Shane

Offline tmoore8407

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:09:54 am »
Thanks for offering your expert help. I think the following is what you asked for. I'm not using a custom sized envelope nor PostScript driver. The printer is wireless, I did not test using a direct USB connection.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:49:46 pm by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 01:57:37 pm »

I removed your screen shot since it had your address, and your settings are exactly like mine other than the printer name.

I found the default top and bottom margin here
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c00719425

And your printer having a half inch right margin is rather large, on my printer the left and right and rather close to each other. So I am thinking something has changed the default right margin on the printer.

However, even with the larger margin, when my program does the math to center or move the main address it takes the margin into account for the math. When you say it is cutting off, how big do you have the font set to? If you make the font smaller does it fit?

I need to look up where to change the default margin in the printer, I know it is in the printer preferences but I dont know exactly where for that model.

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »
This is for a different model but it does show how to shift the margin, maybe it is similar on yours
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/71246/Hp-Photosmart-C8100.html?page=130

Shane

Offline tmoore8407

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:40:12 pm »
Shane, attached are two screen shots:

As shown in the Print Preview
As printed

This should give you a complete picture of the offset problem I'm having printing the envelope.

I tried to print on a Canon printer and all was OK. But I just borrowed the printer to run the test -- I gave it back to the owner. For right now, I'm using Microsoft Word to print envelopes and all appears normal using "Envelope Printer."

Before release 7.0, I had no problems. I installed 7.0.1 to bring it up to date, but the issue persists.

Again, thank you for spending your time on this.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »
I see, that margin is what Windows is giving my program. Have you had a chance to check the printer preferences and adjust the margin?

Shane

Offline tmoore8407

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »
I found the HP C6180 manual online, but can't figure out how set margins other than by using application software (MS Word, et al). The manual you referenced refers to a printer with more capability than my old C6180.

At this point, I've given up.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:29:08 am »
I have to check and see if there is a way for me to control the margins from my program. Till then all you need to do is go to the control panel, then devices and printers. Right click on your printer and go to printer preferences. Then look in there and you should find the margin settings :-)

Shane

Offline tmoore8407

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
Sorry, I looked at Printer Preferences several times. There are no parameters to set the margins on this printer.

I thought about getting a more modern printer, but I rarely use the one I have for documents. Its main use is for envelopes and as a backup scanner, and for that, I don't want to spend money.

As previously reported, I used a Canon laser printer to test your program with great success, so this whole thing must have something to do with the printer. I'm hoping to find an older release of the printer software on the HP website and download. The printer was working fine. Maybe HP changed something.

Thanks,

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 01:24:12 pm »
I will also look into if I am able to set the margins or not :-)

Shane