Author Topic: Document Names have been changed  (Read 6549 times)

Offline computerworkingmom

• View Profile
Document Names have been changed
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »
I recently ran repair on my Dell Inspiron Laptop (two days ago, as a matter of fact). 

I am not sure if I check-marked an incorrect repair or if something is wrong with my registry settings.

Some of my document names have been changed and/or moved.  For example, 1.3 (in the name) has been replaced with ~$3 or which has been replaced with ~$.  When I try to open these renamed files, I small window pop-up that says, cannot be opened (see attachment, word 1).  When I try to recover the document, I am told parts of the file are missing (see attached file, word 2).

However, I can do a search for the correct name of those files.  And they are found in their original locations. Those files with their original names open without any problems and are not corrupt in any way.

Why would some documents be renamed, pull them from their original location (sub-folders) and place corrupted copies into my central 'Document' folder?

I am running Windows 7 64-bit version.  Office 2010 32-bit.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Document Names have been changed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
starting off with the repair all in one program is 95% registry related it does not modify files or system files. (so if something does happen wonky you can always use the restore registry from the back up that was made before repairs.)

now on topic: this is interesting did you ever shutdown you computer with a office document open?

because from what I hear you are saying is that your files are okay in the original location but you have files in the root of your my documents folder that show corrupted.

could these be previous version of the files?
I personally do not know to much about microsoft office but i'm sure Shane may know more about this. or other people in this forum community hang on don't go nowhere someone else will see this thread. and help you further.  :smiley:
I will personally research more into this.

Edit does the office file with the ~$ have a .tmp extension? and is your folder options set to show hidden files?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:54:18 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:33:28 am »
Hi, Did you try to repair your microsoft office. Go to msword. Click the Upper big icon. Choose word options button and click. This will open a window. Go to resources. Click diagnostic tool and run it. It will repair all the programs under microsoft office. It will be automated and then open the programs and check. Normally, the the tilda appears, when you open that file in word. But if it is there in the opening when you close that file, then you could do diagnostic. It will take about 10 to 15 minutes and progressive bars would show that repairs are running. There is no harm in trying, even it is not related to registry.
                                          Windows repair never touch programs and applications.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:53:38 am »
Those files are the temp file word makes when you open a document. They are normally hidden and then you ran the unhide non system files those files are now showing up. They have been there before, just hidden. They are not the actual document you are looking for as they are just the temp file word creates :wink:

Shane