Author Topic: Adblock plus high memory usage & i want an Adblock plus Alternative  (Read 18203 times)

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
Since the past months my machine began to suffer from this Adblock plus add-one and now It affects on Firefox browser alot and even the system goes shutting down in somewhere and the laptop It becomes very hot as the fan is working very hard! So at the moment I have to remove all of the Adblock plus and tab mix plus which the both of them cause a high memory usage like aside here http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3284.msg23244.html#msg23244
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:35:05 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Adblock plus high memory usage & i want an Adblock plus Alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »
No problem here with adblock plus, what makes you think it is eating memory? What filter subscriptions do you have, too many is not a good idea.

As an aside Gamez, you seem to have so many problems (is it one machine in all your threads?).....I would have gone for a clean install ages ago.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
No problem here with adblock plus, what makes you think it is eating memory? What filter subscriptions do you have, too many is not a good idea.

This for the simple reason, as I noticed it! So I've made a test (reinstall both add-ones several times on the Firefox browser and suddenly a laptop fan are struggling which it trying to Cooling out the machine but isn’t it with adblock installed) and now the system is goes cool after removed adblock !

As an aside Gamez, you seem to have so many problems (is it one machine in all your threads?).....I would have gone for a clean install ages ago.

yes I do but About to get it fixed as I already done a clean install a few day! yes that one laptop
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:07:32 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
Have you tried Adblock Plus and Tab Mix Plus separately?

What version of Adblock Plus? Current is 2.6.9.1

How many, and what filter subscriptions do you have?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:17:42 pm »
uBlock is much lighter on resources than Adblock Plus.

https://www.ublock.org/

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/wiki/uBlock-vs.-ABP:-efficiency-compared

Just a question about the clean install - which product key did you use to activate Windows ?

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:18:58 pm »
Have you tried Adblock Plus and Tab Mix Plus separately?

no not yet

What version of Adblock Plus? Current is 2.6.9.1

for this I’m not sure

How many, and what filter subscriptions do you have?

I don’t make any Change of any add-ones

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 02:24:25 pm »

Just a question about the clean install - which product key did you use to activate Windows ?

I will give this add-one a try now and for windows key I don’t have a Genuine key Because of that the first installation of the Windows system was in a shop on this laptop, which means they are used a Hack instead of Genuine key !

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:27:54 pm »
I don’t have a Genuine key Because of that the first installation of the Windows system was in a shop on this laptop, which means they are used a Hack instead of Genuine key !

There's your problem right there  :rolleyes:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:32:57 pm »
That means you won't qualify for the free Win 10 upgrade - which is why I asked.

You can confirm that Windows doesn't recognize the key by going Start - type activate windows and press enter.

@ Samson - I recently did a clean install on my OEM laptop using the vendor's generic key as displayed in Belarc Advisor and the laptop worked fine, including installing all of the updates.

What puzzled me was that the gwx icon didn't reappear in the system tray and when I typed activate windows, found it displaying that it wasn't a valid key - so restored with an external system image and now the icon is back again.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 02:33:59 pm »
I don’t have a Genuine key Because of that the first installation of the Windows system was in a shop on this laptop, which means they are used a Hack instead of Genuine key !

There's your problem right there  :rolleyes:

this is a new laptop and it should come with an Genuine key ? :undecided: and we have a Genuine key for the other new laptop and I have to formatted and now the key going to not be a valid key ?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:39:25 pm by Gamezertruth »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »
It will come with a genuine OEM key but not a retail key which you need for a clean install and probably for a repair install for Windows to accept it as a valid key.

Go Start - type activate windows etc. and see what it reports.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 02:41:27 pm »
That means you won't qualify for the free Win 10 upgrade - which is why I asked.

You can confirm that Windows doesn't recognize the key by going Start - type activate windows and press enter.

yes that will be fine we don’t want upgrade

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »
The more cpu usage the more heat that is made, if you are overclocked or your system cant cool it self properly then you will over heat when the cpu is being used more.

My system is set to auto mode for the fans, when doing normal work my system is silent, when I then start to game and my video card and cpu are maxed out you can hear all the fans pick up in speed because the system is getting hotter.

When your cpu isnt being used much it under clocks, using less voltage and speed, thus making less heat. When your cpu is under use the voltage goes back up to normal and the cpu runs at the full clock it is suppose to.

So if you are over heating the question shouldnt be why is firefox doing it, as your system should be able to handle the cpu maxed out, the question should be why it isnt able to keep itself cool enough when under a full load. Check the fans, get the dust out so the air flow can be better and make sure your room temp is below 80F :wink:

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:23 pm »
The more cpu usage the more heat that is made, if you are overclocked or your system cant cool it self properly then you will over heat when the cpu is being used more.

My system is set to auto mode for the fans, when doing normal work my system is silent, when I then start to game and my video card and cpu are maxed out you can hear all the fans pick up in speed because the system is getting hotter.

When your cpu isnt being used much it under clocks, using less voltage and speed, thus making less heat. When your cpu is under use the voltage goes back up to normal and the cpu runs at the full clock it is suppose to.

So if you are over heating the question shouldnt be why is firefox doing it, as your system should be able to handle the cpu maxed out, the question should be why it isnt able to keep itself cool enough when under a full load. Check the fans, get the dust out so the air flow can be better and make sure your room temp is below 80F :wink:

Shane
could not have said that any better lol but I will add if you know how to take apart a laptop and change the thermal paste i would recommend it. most over heating issues with laptops that i've seen is hp likes to put cheep silicone paste that lasts about a year and dries to nothing asus and toshiba likes to glob it on like it never has enough (which is bad as if not having any on). and lenovo likes to have this paste that is hard as a rock lol. first clean with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. then we need the thermal paste I like to put a dot the size of a pea in the center of the chip and press the heatsink plate flat and firm in the middle to let it spread with the pressure
here is a great video that shows different methods of spreading the thermal paste.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4
Julian

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 11:49:11 am »

Tip Of the year Boggin!    :cheesy:

For last few days I've been trying uBlock Origin. A different branch.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

So, so much better than Adblock Plus! Faster and lighter.
All the same filters and more, like hosts, no need for MVPS , Privacy etc
Or just works great out the box. No wonder five star reviews.

Thank you.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:50:18 pm »

great uBlock add one it better then Adblock plus !  :smiley: but both  uBlock and Adblock plus it blocking my websites Content ? and along time I have not yet checked all of my websites and I just check uBlock and there’s no setting ?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:38:11 am »
but both  uBlock and Adblock plus it blocking my websites Content ? and along time I have not yet checked all of my websites and I just check uBlock and there’s no setting ?

"Whitelist" those sites.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:45 am »
but both  uBlock and Adblock plus it blocking my websites Content ? and along time I have not yet checked all of my websites and I just check uBlock and there’s no setting ?

"Whitelist" those sites.

white listed isn’t really help so I just discovered a problem with ublock so it keep blanking all over webpages(a full white webpage or some white area of webpage) and this add-one Also cause Captcha Code to not showing even with white list that website !?

and that why I can’t/edit to click on my video title on YouTube ! it keep it blanking yo !

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:42:25 am by Gamezertruth »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:46 am »

"Whitelist" those sites.

white listed isn’t really help so I just discovered a problem with ublock so it keep blanking all over webpages(a full white webpage or some white area of webpage) and this add-one Also cause Captcha Code to not showing even with white list that website !?

and that why I can’t/edit to click on my video title on YouTube ! it keep it blanking yo !

I use uBlock Origin, but in uBlock if you use the big power button in the popup to permanently disable/enable µBlock for the current web site, and nothing changes, then I'd suggest that something else is going on.

N.B. Refresh the page after disabling/ enabling for it to take effect.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:26:12 am by Samson, Reason: Added a screenshot. »

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 04:13:43 am »

"Whitelist" those sites.

I use uBlock Origin, but in uBlock if you use the big power button in the popup to permanently disable/enable µBlock for the current web site, and nothing changes, then I'd suggest that something else is going on.

N.B. Refresh the page after disabling/ enabling for it to take effect.

that now work ok!  :smiley: no blank issue while ublock is disable ! But this confuses me a bit because I am a new user of ublock and I need to used it !
At the same time there are two similar names of both addones But with the existence of two different developers? (how that ?  :thinking:) - Now I suspected the both of them ! so where the real one ?  :sarcastic:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 06:40:39 am »
that now work ok!  :smiley: no blank issue while ublock is disable ! But this confuses me a bit because I am a new user of ublock and I need to used it !
At the same time there are two similar names of both addones But with the existence of two different developers? (how that ?  :thinking:) - Now I suspected the both of them ! so where the real one ?  :sarcastic:

There was a dispute between the authors and uBlock split....Ublock and uBlock Origin.
I use uBlock Origin, still supported by the original author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »
Since the past months my machine began to suffer from this Adblock plus add-one and now It affects on Firefox browser alot and even the system goes shutting down in somewhere and the laptop It becomes very hot as the fan is working very hard! So at the moment I have to remove all of the Adblock plus and tab mix plus which the both of them cause a high memory usage like aside here http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3284.msg23244.html#msg23244
quoting your original post because I'm Curious if you've solved the overheating issues  :wink:
Julian

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:01 am »

There was a dispute between the authors and uBlock split....Ublock and uBlock Origin.
I use uBlock Origin, still supported by the original author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock

so what the best to use ? Because I have removed all add-ones due to fake downloading !

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 09:17:33 am »
quoting your original post because I'm Curious if you've solved the overheating issues  :wink:

yes :smiley: you are correct! I have removed both Adblock plus and tab mix plus! and I’m thinking to make a test as Samson Suggest!