Author Topic: Windows Repair program: Hangs up?  (Read 7545 times)

Offline gunste24

• View Profile
Windows Repair program: Hangs up?
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:53:09 am »
Windows Updater had failed to install updates after 3-18-2015. I recently noted that and got help from Microsoft Answer Desk 2nd level tech.
He download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair and started to run it. He selected 46 items. They proceeded to run one after the other. Items 1 to 28 completed in about 1:06 hrs. Then it started on i item 29 - [Repair Windows 8 Component Store].
I believe the program hung up there (???). It went on for 9+hours !!
.  ---  The write box still showed that the system was proceeding on something.
I decided to stop the program and shut down the PC  [Dell XPS8700 w/ Windows 8.1]. 
Upon restarting, I brought up Tweaking.com - Windows Repair and ran the items after ((29)). They completed in less than 30 seconds.
On RESTARTING the PC again, I checked for and installed a number of Updates SUCCESSFULLY>

BUT, I do not believe that all of the important updates did install per Update history.
The ones that had failed to install  KB3000850 (775MB)  andKB3025417 (4.9 MB) are not on the list of successful installations.

QUESTION: About How long should it take for item [29] in the program to run ???
If it did hang up, as I believe it did, what could have been the cause ??

Any comments appreciated.  [ Three DEll Tech tried to fix the UPDATER unsuccessfully. One Level 1 Microsoft tech failed likewise. The Level 2 Tech was the only one who used Tweaking.com (FREE).
Hope this fixed it for good. It has cost me a huge amount of time.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair program: Hangs up?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:45:06 pm »
That repair is VERY odd. Ir runs a microsoft command for the component store to be rebuilt and fixed by the dsim program in windows. When you run it the first time it goes rather quick. but the next time you run it, it can take hours and hours. It happens all the time. I do know that the command tries to download files from windows updates to replace things, so if there is any problem at all the program seems to have an insane timeout period on the stuff it does and so can take for ever.

But the rule of thumb with my program is to always do all the repairs in windows safe mode. It makes a huge difference on the time the repairs take because it keeps 3rd party programs from messing with it and also insures the repairs complete like they should. :-)

How is the system so far?

Shane

Offline gunste24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »
It appears that the problem may have been the presence of MS Office 2003 for XP. It's WORD and EXCEL programs worked ok on the XPS8700 with Windows 8.1. Trying to download a large 8.1 update
(775 MB) and a small (4.5 MB) one. it always seemed to hang up on the latter. The Microsoft level 2 Tech deleted  Office 2003 and it seems after that the Updates all installed. The problem was listed as Resolved.

But should Windows Repair  Step 29 have taken more than 9 hours to complete??

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:08 pm »
No the repair shouldnt take 9 hours, but again the repair is simply calling
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Which it tells you in the repair info in the program. It is the dism in windows that is taking so long and it gives zero progress or what it is doing. I never understand why they make tools like that.

Shane