Author Topic: Sometimes Tweaking makes it worse  (Read 5585 times)

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
Sometimes Tweaking makes it worse
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:03:21 pm »
Many times tweaking has been a real blessing. What perplexes me though is the relatively rare times it actually makes the machine worse. This has happened maybe three times, including this morning. I have a Vista machine with update problems. I ran Tweaking, including all steps, and using Safe Mode/networking. When I got to the repairs I chose the relevant ones, such as file/registry permissions, service defaults, wmi and a few more. I did not check all the boxes unthinkingly.

Nonetheless when I booted back up the "consent" dialog barely worked. VSS service does not work even when I turn it on manually. All this was working quite nicely before the repairs.

I took a registry backup so I'm not out of luck. But I'm wondering why this happens once in a while. It is concerning.

Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes Tweaking makes it worse
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:28:37 pm »
It is hard to tell. A lot of times it is because of an unknown variable. But what i have found is that when this happens, running all the repairs a 2nd time and in safe mode does the trick. The reason being is something was wrong in the system before that didnt allow all the commands in the repairs to run. So when some registry settings get changed but then commands to finish those dont run right you get problems. But a lot of times that first run fixed what ever was keeping the commands from working, the system just needs rebooted before they will work.

So by rebooting and running a 2nd time the commands run like they should and everything is back to normal.

So far out of the few times I have seen that happen it has been related to that. The only other cause I have ever found was that there was bad sectors on the hard drive, when the repairs ran part of the registry that grew ended up on one of those bad sectors and everything when to crap. :wink:

Shane

Offline paul1149

• View Profile
Re: Sometimes Tweaking makes it worse
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »
A ha. That sounds very reasonable. I definitely will try that next time. This machine is currently undergoing conversion to LinuxLite. :)

Thanks much for the insight.

Paul