Author Topic: new here first post have ran a scan and this comes up how do i get the two files  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Richard66

• View Profile
 Scanning Windows Packages Files.
Started at (25/07/2015 11:37:13)
These Files Are Possibly Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature): (Total: 2)
C:\windows\servicing\Packages\Package_15_for_KB2978121~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.0.mum
C:\windows\servicing\Packages\Package_15_for_KB2979571~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.2.1.1.mum
Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.
These files do not keep the repairs from working, you may still run the repairs in the program.
If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.
Files Checked & Verified: 4,753
Done (25/07/2015 11:37:55)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Your os is 64 bit but what version Of Windows? Xp, vista, 7, 8 or  8.1 and also have you ran all of the repairs yet in safe mode? These files mainly only effect Windows update . And if Windows update is your computer problem try running all the repairs. Ill see if i can  grab these files for you. Post back with an update. :)
Julian

Offline Richard66

• View Profile
Hi Julian

I have windows 8 and I have tried running in safe mode have ran all the repairs as per what the Tweaking program asked.

It is a Toshiba laptop Satellite C850- 1G2 (not sure if you would need that info)

And you are right those files effect the windows updates.

To put you in the picture the Laptop belongs to a friend whom had problems with the laptop as it was running really slow and had asked me to have a look at the laptop to see what I could do.

I have tried everything via Microsoft, plus reset laptop, Factory restore via laptop,  Made 3 discs from laptop and started from discs and the same thing keeps coming up the windows update
 (which seems to be corrupted).

My friend does not have anything worth saving on the laptop so factory restore /wipe would be ok.

Other than buy a new disc from Toshiba which I thought may need to happen (but not sure if that would have resolved the issue) I thought I would run your tweaking tools.

Have thought about upgrading to windows 8.1 but cannot get to that without any windows updates (there was me thinking that may work)

Would have even waited for windows 10 in a few days or so but the same problem would possibly arise (unless you may know different?)

Have tried sfc / scannow and many other things but cannot get it fixed.

Thanks for your time and help.

Richard

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
So you are having a update issue what error code are you getting can you take a screen shot and post it? I want to see what  updates are failing I'm turning on my vm and seeing if i have those mum files on my Windows 8 vhd
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Extracting those mum files from windows update catalog
looks like they belong to .net 3.5  security update
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I uploaded a zip file with all the missing files. download it and follow these directions the directions are a quote i copied from one of shanes previous posts.

apply the reg file to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Once done run all the repairs in my program and make sure to do it in safe mode and see how Windows updates does.
I hope this helps  :cheesy:
Julian

Offline Richard66

• View Profile
Hi Julian

That did not work tried twice went through all the things on the tweaking tools

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.3.0 - Pre-Scan
Computer: MICHELLE2 (Windows 8 6.2.9200 ) (64-bit)
Started at (28/07/2015 18:28:37)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started at (28/07/2015 18:28:37)
Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.
These files do not keep the repairs from working, you may still run the repairs in the program.
If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.
Files Checked & Verified: 2,807
Done (28/07/2015 18:37:49)
Scanning Reparse Points.
Started at (28/07/2015 18:37:49)

Offline Richard66

• View Profile
Hi Julian

More in depth reply (I hope)

When I run the Reparse point repair this file does not repair = Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files) (Target Path: C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache)

Regards

Richard

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.3.0 - Pre-Scan
Computer: MICHELLE2 (Windows 8 6.2.9200 ) (64-bit)
Started at (28/07/2015 19:31:41)
Started at (28/07/2015 19:31:41)
Files Checked & Verified: 2,807
Done (28/07/2015 19:41:01)
Scanning Reparse Points.
Started at (28/07/2015 19:41:01)
Missing Default Reparse Point: (Original Path: C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files) (Target Path: C:\Users\Michelle\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache)
A Default Reparse Point is missing and this can cause problems on the system.
Problems were found with the Reparse Points.
You can use the Repair Reparse Points Tool at the bottom of this Window to try and fix these problems.
Files & Folders Searched: 182,782
Reparse Points Found: 46
Done (28/07/2015 19:41:06)
Checking Environment Variables.
Started at (28/07/2015 19:41:06)
No problems were found with the Environment Variables.
Scan Complete - Problems Found!
You can use the Repair Reparse Points or Repair Environment Variables tools at the bottom of this Window if needed.
While problems have been found, you can still run the repairs in the program.
But for the best results it is recommended to fix the problems reported in this scan if possible.
If you need help fixing any of the items in the log, just post in the forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Thats is really odd, it is saying it found problems with the packages files, but it isnt listing any?

Shane

Offline Richard66

• View Profile
Hi Shane

Yes that is correct it does not list any files this time around.

I tried running everything again about 4th time I have put in same files as before just in case it would work this time but no it did not work.

Ran all your tools and still no window updates will come in.

Have tried put in optional updates picking just one no this did not work.

Have tried just one update from main updates no this did not work.

Have tried restating thinking this may pick them up sometimes it looks like it will then nothing.

And of course maybe with the window updates put in windows .8.1 (not saying that would have helped but though it may bring new files to fix any that are corrupted or missing)

And of course maybe Windows 10 (don't think any of that would happen without updates though)

If you think it beyond fixing from your end just let me know will understand.

Maybe need to ask my friend to go and buy a disc from Toshiba if this is what it may need.

May seem strange but the laptop runs okay not fast or anything but okay would have thought it would run a lot better with all the updates.

As a matter of interest there are 164 updates to come in and about 6 or 7 optional updates.

It looks like it has never been update since they bought the laptop from another person about two years ago.

Thanks' for your time in advance and to Julian.

From Richard in Scotland

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi Shane

Yes that is correct it does not list any files this time around.

I tried running everything again about 4th time I have put in same files as before just in case it would work this time but no it did not work.

Ran all your tools and still no window updates will come in.

Have tried put in optional updates picking just one no this did not work.

Have tried just one update from main updates no this did not work.

Have tried restating thinking this may pick them up sometimes it looks like it will then nothing.

And of course maybe with the window updates put in windows .8.1 (not saying that would have helped but though it may bring new files to fix any that are corrupted or missing)

And of course maybe Windows 10 (don't think any of that would happen without updates though)

If you think it beyond fixing from your end just let me know will understand.

Maybe need to ask my friend to go and buy a disc from Toshiba if this is what it may need.

May seem strange but the laptop runs okay not fast or anything but okay would have thought it would run a lot better with all the updates.

As a matter of interest there are 164 updates to come in and about 6 or 7 optional updates.

It looks like it has never been update since they bought the laptop from another person about two years ago.

Thanks' for your time in advance and to Julian.

From Richard in Scotland
I'm not gonna give up till your computer is purring and updates are installing lol   :cheesy: Can you give me a snap shot of the error code on the update and post it on this thread so I can view what it's saying.
Julian

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Hi, Whenever i have problems on window updates, i simply run the windows readiness tool. It installs, and during installation, it copies the packages files and once its installation is complete Go to c:windows, logs folder and click checksur.log. It will open and show you what packages are failed. If no failure, then it means everything updated.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".