Author Topic: (Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware  (Read 72679 times)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
(Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:58 am »
Hello,

I'd like to ask for help with removing bloatware from my brand-new Lenovo laptop. I tried to find info online about whether I could/should remove programs but couldn't find much. So I just did what seemed right :(. Now I find myself with a few problems I don't know how to solve. I thought about re-installation (without using the recovery key!) but maybe you can help me avoid that. :)

My main reason to remove all bloatware is that I don't want ANY connection to some cloud or company online through these programs.

I used Revo Uninstaller but I don't understand why some programs don't appear in Revo. Not only some of the bloatware doesn't show, also programs like 7-zip or Bonjour (can I delete the latter? I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop and don't have Apple products. This goes for the other 2 Apple programs as well, see my screenshots).

I have made several screenshots of various places where programs show. I assume they speak for themselves. Can somebody please tell me which remaining bloatware I can delete and how, in case they don't show in Revo? Like Lenovo Messenger and Veriface.

The only program I'd like to keep are the User Manuals. They might be handy, I suppose. Please feel free to add comments about other programs you see that I don't need. The Van Dale programs are my dictionaries and they're staying. :D

Lenovo Photo Master and SHAREit I uninstalled but still show (why?) but they are empty folders.

There are two Windows Driver Packages from Lenovo that I don't dare remove as drivers are like super-essential parts to me as a lay-woman. :) Can they go too?

A lot of questions. I do hope someone will go through the trouble of telling me what to do.

Thank you for being there! :D

Lady

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:00:11 pm by Lady »
To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Lenovo bloatware
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:14:45 pm »
Honestly it will take you longer to uninstall all that crap then it would to do a fresh install lol

Another option you can try, and you can always go back to your install from the recovery if you like. But Windows 10 is due out tomorrow and it is a free upgrade for systems like yours. i already got the rtm and put it on a couple of my customers machines for testing and they all updated and activated just fine.

So it might be worth, so you can at least try it, having the windows 10 upgrade happen, one of the options during the upgrade is to transfer your files OR transfer nothing at all and start fresh, you should do it that way.

As a fall back, say you dont like it, you can restore the system to factory default and start uninstalling everything lol

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:30:12 pm »
The reason why the free version of Revo doesn't see all programs is because it only picks up on 32 bit programs.

A workaround is to use the trial Pro version which does, but I use IOBit Uninstaller which sees the lot. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html

Decrapifier is a program that can list what to dump and StartUpLite is a program which can tell you if you have unnecessary programs in your Startup Menu - but don't disable these if you intend to uninstall them as you will be left with orphaned files and the items will remain in your msconfig/Startup list.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

You should also uninstall Superfish if your computer has it installed as it was supposed to have been removed in newer Lenovo computers.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/09/lenovo-superfish-third-party-apps

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish_uninstall
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:36:33 pm by Boggin »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:29:17 am »
Thanks a lot, guys!! I really appreciate your help. Have to figure out what is best to do..... BTW, Superfish had been detected by MBAM and BullGuard right away.

Is there a possibility to re-install 8.1 without using the recovery key and avoid all the bloatware to re-appear? I have its licence key.

Shane, are you going to post something about the privacy issues with Windows 10? Do you know if it is possible to make a local account again and prevent ANY of my data to be sent ANYWHERE?  :D :D :D

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:24:43 pm »
I have windows 10 installed in vmware, when it asks me to make a microsoft account I just skip it, then it lets me make a local account :-)

Windows 8 should auto pull the key from the system bios, so you should be fine. Heck i think 10 will as well.

Shane

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:00:19 pm »
I have windows 10 installed in vmware, when it asks me to make a microsoft account I just skip it, then it lets me make a local account :-)

Windows 8 should auto pull the key from the system bios, so you should be fine. Heck i think 10 will as well.

Shane
yeah something annoying on windows 10 is that when you create a local account and login to an app with your email it will auto set you up for skydrive bs lol... I'm gonna find a work around to make that disabled
Julian

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:00 am »
Okay guys, I managed to get rid of almost all the bloatware and so far so good, the laptop is still functioning, haha.

It was superannoying that there is just no information on the web about whether a program is necessary or can be deleted. I find that Lenovo itself should explain on their site what all these programs are. I saw many people asking questions about this but there weren't many answers. And there were programs that needed to stay like the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver  :shocked:! Who knows what that is if you're not an IT person like you!!

So, pffff, just 3 programs left for you to say whether they can stay or go.

The first I'm most concerned about as it might have to do with sending my data somewhere.
The second I think has to stay for as far as I was able to find out.
The third I have no idea.

Can you help out?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:51 am »
I think I'd be inclined to uninstall the Customer Feedback Program.

As for the other two, nothing of any value came up on a Google search for them, but any Contollers should be left alone as they may be required for some adapters and may be Lenovo specific.

You may want to have a read of this article to see if you are affected as it looks like more spyware from Lenovo. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht073614?tabName=Solutions

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:26 am »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:16:37 am »
Thanks, Samson!

That's pretty scary. I was advised to buy a Lenovo laptop by the head of the technical dept. of my PC shop as being the best laptop available at the moment for its internal stability and high quality materials on the outside. Did I make a mistake then?  :confused:

The article doesn't give any links to the BIOS updates and that's way over my head anyway, so I need you guys to help me out with that as well. Anyone in for that?   :smiley:

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:21:09 am »
Here you go....

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/lse_bios_notebook

If your model is mentioned, then wait for expert advice from Shane, Julian or Boggin on how to proceed  :wink:

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 11:22:11 am »
I love asus for gaming and everyday computer and building computers for customers.
 I like Lenovo's for everyday office and business stuff or for school work.
Julian

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 11:40:29 am »
I'm not sure, I have a Z50-70. It says in the list Z41-70/Z51-70. Does that mean only those two models or everything in between?

This is a very important issue. I suggest we make this into a new topic for everyone with a Lenovo pc to find easily. Shall I open a new topic?

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 11:51:06 am »
I'm not sure, I have a Z50-70. It says in the list Z41-70/Z51-70. Does that mean only those two models or everything in between?

Following the links through to the bios update, it states....."Lenovo Z41-70, Z51-70"

Looks like you dodged a bullet  :wink:

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:25:57 pm »
Yoohooooooooooooooo!!!!!   

Could use a bit of good news. :S

But.......I downloaded the ReadMe file and there it says:

"This package updates the basic input/output system (BIOS) on IdeaPad Z41-70/Z51-70."

Should I do the BIOS update anyways to be sure? Or can I find out if I have this Lenovo Service Engine?

Again I suggest a new post. What's the best name to give it? How to remove Lenovo spyware?

Shane, Julian, Boggin?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:50 pm »
Boggin, as regards your link: You may want to have a read of this article to see if you are affected as it looks like more spyware from Lenovo. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht073614?tabName=Solutions

I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop, so it seems this one doesn't affect me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 02:13:16 pm »
My link seems a little ambiguous in that it says if you have loaded LSC or Using Win 7 Pre-Loaded Image, but lower down the page says Applies to Win 7 and while it lists systems, says that it is not restricted to those systems.

Have you checked Task Scheduler to see if anything related is in there ?

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 06:25:42 am »
What a smart idea, Boggin!

It's the first time I see the task scheduler. I assume all the Microsoft\Windows tasks are okay?

The only Lenovo task is indeed this Customer Feedback Program, scheduled EVERY DAY! But this is not a normal program, I can't find it in Programs and Features nor in Revo Uninstaller Pro. It seems to be an application? See screenshot. How do I delete that?

I also looked for the Lenovo Service Engine elsewhere, searched the whole laptop on these words without results.

Awaiting instructions.  :smiley:

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:47:45 am »
Okay, I'm an IT-amateur, so I had to be a bit resourceful.  :smiley:

On the Lenovo site about deleting the LSE it says under Windows 8.1 that these files shall be deleted:

Deletes all files installed by the LSE module, which include
C:\windows\system32\wpbbin.exe
C:\windows\system32\LenovoUpdate.exe
C:\windows\system32\LenovoCheck.exe

I checked in my Windows Explorer and don't see these files. Is that conclusive evidence that I don't have this LSE?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 07:17:19 am »
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't disable those in Task Scheduler - I know I wouldn't want my laptop reporting back every day, but check to see if it has any impact on performance.

I would say that not finding those files would suggest that you didn't have LSE.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 08:32:54 am »
No, I certainly don't want that in my task scheduler! But the problem is that I don't know how to disable it AND if I uninstall the whole application, maybe I shouldn't disable it in the scheduler now because then rest files might be left behind, similar to something I just read about uninstalling files. I'm sorry, that is supervague, but maybe you know what I'm trying to say.

So, how do I get rid of this Customer Feedback Program in total? Do you know?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:46 am »
Yes, if you uninstall a program that you have unchecked in msconfig, it will leave orphaned files.

As you don't have this "phone home" program to get hold of to uninstall, click on them in Task Scheduler and select Disable.

That is what I did with GWX as that checked MS at certain times to see if your upgrade was ready and displayed the times it was triggered.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »
That's right, it was the msconfig thing! Now I remember. :S

But listen to this, Boggin! I did it! I removed this whole freaking Customer Feedback Program. I didn't know I had to double-click the program in the task scheduler, but once I figured that out, I saw the whole path that it had in program files. See screenshot. I got a hunch to go overthere instead of just disabling it in the scheduler. I went overthere, right-clicked on CFP and then I saw the option de-install with Revo Uninstaller Pro. I clicked that to see what would happen. And Revo found remnants! (I tried the search function in Revo before with no results.) See screenshot (it says "found left-behind files and folders). So I could remove it after all! So this might be good to know, if there's no program file to be seen in Programs and Features or in Revo that Revo can still find it this way. Or did I just invent the wheel, hahaha.

The odd thing was that after I de-installed it, the bloody thing was STILL in the task scheduler and there I didn't just disable it, but REMOVED it. I was DONE with it.  :teeth:

ALL bloatware and other nasty stuff gone now. AND I did the Repair All In One twice to make sure EVERYTHING is superfine now.

Aren't I the COOLEST!!!  :artist:

GRATEFUL!!!  THANK YOU for your help!!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »
That's great news, Lady.

Open a Command prompt (Admin) and enter sfc /scannow and if that comes back with no violations then it would be prudent to create a full external system image and keep that as a fall back should you ever need to factory reset, which you can then restore with to bring it back the way you want it.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) Problems with Lenovo bloatware
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 03:28:04 am »
I did the scan and it says it found corrupted files some of which it couldn't fix. What should I do now? Do you want to see the log?
I'm disappointed.......after all my efforts, still errors.....  :sad: