Author Topic: [SOLVED] Problem with installers (Windows 10)  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Jarod_

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Problem with installers (Windows 10)
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:11:56 am »
Hi,

I was under Windows 8.1 (Pro 64bits). Things were working pretty good.

Last week I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 (Pro 64bits). That wasn't a good idea.... Since I did it I have issues when trying to uninstall or install a program, and some instability with some programs.

For example, Adobe Reader works a little while, but then it freezes and I have to kill it. I tried to uninstall it but the uninstall process starts but never ends. I tried to reinstall it, but it goes to 90% and then stops to do anything.

Same thing with iTunes that wanted to update itself, but after X% the installation blocked.

Note that I had "Classic Shell" on Windows 8.1 to get the original Windows Menu. After upgrading I wasn't able to click on the Windows Menu, and I wasn't able to uninstall Classic Shell. Finally using a cmd command with the original install file I've been able to uninstall it, and then to re-install it (after multiple reboots). Now the Windows Menu works again.

Note also that I tried your "Windows Repair" tool, following all steps, but the problems are still there.

Finally, right now, I'm under Safe Mode trying to install Adobe Acrobat (I've been able to uninstall it after my last reboot), but it stops at 90% again.

I have also instability with some apps. For example, the first time I started Word, I've had the popup saying it was starting.... but that's it. After a few minutes I killed it and I tried to launch it again but this time as an Administrator, and finally it told me "there is a problem with the template file" (normal.dot ?) and it fixed it, and now it's working.

I use also Startup Delayer but it also freezes when I try to launch it.

Firefox, Chrome, and other stuff I use work OK.

So Windows is acting very weirdly, and I have no clue where to search for a solution....

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:05:21 am by Jarod_ »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with installers (Windows 10)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 12:30:22 am »
Did the adobe reader have an install log by any chance? I would like to see where it is getting stuck at and that might help show what is going on. :wink:

Shane

Offline Jarod_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:14:15 am »
Finally I've just deleted everything, and I started with a fresh install of Windows 10. Now everything is working much better :-)

Thanks anyway!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:42:13 am »
Well that works too lol

Shane