Author Topic: Suggestion for recommended a/v app  (Read 6829 times)

Offline Chillyb

• You get what you give
    • View Profile
Suggestion for recommended a/v app
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:00 am »
Hey Shane/Julian,

I just thought I'd post a suggestion for the "Virus, Malware & Rootkit Cleanup Links" page. Even though it's only a minor suggestion, I think it would be better to 1: Remove the Avast mention completely, and replace it with Avira as the recommended free a/v app.  I'm just basing this on the most recent a/v comparative real world test result's.
http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

Any a/v app that manages a 99.7% score should be the one installed on ANY machine IMHO.   Even though I've always ponied up when it comes to a/v protection. (Kaspersky for me) With that kind of score, I'm even tempted to switch when my license expires.  Although, since I've got another 3 months left, I may switch to either Panda or Bit Defender if the next few reports/scores stay within that range.
(Bit Defender hitting 99.9% is just incredible)

I'd also like to suggest adding Malware Bytes Anti-Exploit along with your MBAM link. (also free)     

And finally, something I'd just like to share in reference to the link you have up for Gizmo's, Techsupportalert.com's "Free Windows Desktop Software Security List".

I've been a longtime visitor of that site for the wealth of information it provides. Particularly for security info and software recommendations. However, as someone who works on PC's for a living, along with the ever changing landscape of software and exploitation of software, I've become more and more pro-active in dealing with installing new/recommended programs. Some of my co-workers even say to the point of paranoia. Well, that's perfectly fine by me when it comes to protecting not only myself, but those that rely on me for their protection. And by doing so, one of the steps I ALWAYS take before installing ANY new program, besides researching the hell out of it, is to use site's like Virus Total to scan all executables before I ever touch that "install" button.   Well, what I'm getting at is this. Most technical people know full well that there's no such thing as a 100% PUP, Malware, or Virus free download site. Just like the anti-virus software available, each of these repositories for software widely range in the amount of app's they list and make available for download.  And as such, Gizmo's site is obviously one of these.  And for all of their "5 star" reviews and highly recommended programs, I've recently found that not all of their highly rated app's are safe.  I'm not writing this to bash, slander, or otherwise discourage anyone from using the info contained on techsupportalert. I just wanted to share my findings/experiences with you, and your visitors. I've gone through just about every category on the "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World" and downloaded dozen's, if not hundreds of those programs they have listed on it. And in doing so, have found several "best, free" rated app's that contain malicious and unwanted 'tag alongs'.  And I'm not just talking about toolbars, and other junkware that's unfortunately found in many open source/freeware tools. I'm referring to outright system damaging garbage that should NEVER be listed on ANY site that supposedly prides itself on advising the average user on what's great, and what's not so great.

Again, I truly have loved using that site for many of it's reviews and advice in dealing with vast amount of software that's available on today's web for a loooong time. So much in fact, that very recently, I lowered my guard and took their recommendations at face value, and unfortunately, got burned for it. Causing me to have to do a repair/reinstall of Windows.  (they were the ONLY site I was using at the time for the software I was installing, and each one was, and still is rated 5 stars)    I've tested the app's in question on several machines, with various environments, eg: sandboxed, VM'd, security tools, etc. And those app's have always been flagged and/or caused the same damage that I encountered on my personal laptop each and every time.

So for anyone reading this, take my experience for what it's worth. I'm not trying to dissuade you from using Gizmo's at all. I'm just trying to save you from the same experience I had by imploring you to check, and check again those installers and URL's at places like Virus Total, Meta-Scan, Jotti, No Virus Thanks,, Dr. Web, etc, etc. Some even offer installer's to reside on your PC, or extension's for your browser.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider my post.  Which BTW, I'd venture to say is more than likely to be embedded on one of your PC's. *A MBAM scan should find it if so* So, again, stay safe, check out tools such as AdGuard, Unchecky, MBAE, MBAM, Emisoft Anti-Malware, Ghostery, and/or Disconnect, using a virtual machine or sandbox app and especially tools to combat Flash's vulnerabilities such as Flash Control or similar.  And don't forget to KEEP YOUR SOFTWARE UPDATED!! (with suMO, Secunia psi, Nirsoft, File Hippo's Update, etc)

And one last thing, if you haven't heard of, or been to GHacks, I'd highly suggest bookmarking it, and frequently visiting it. Same goes for Malwaretips, Wilder's Security, and Windows Club
(Below is a screenshot of one of the app's that contains the oh so wonderful,*sarcastically stated*, piece of ad-ware called Open Candy, amongst other baddies)

Stay safe out there folks!   :cheesy:

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for recommended a/v app
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:07 am »
First I wanted to say that the programs on this site and links are Shane's lol not mine I wish I was that great of a programmer like Shane. He will be back soon he has been up for a couple day's making a major update to the repair all in one :D I'm sure he'll read this post when he gets back. Thanks for the info on a/v protection.
Julian

Offline Chillyb

• You get what you give
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:30:25 pm »
No problemo Julian. I hope I didn't overstep any forum/site rules with that post.  I was just attempting to convey my experience(s) with a recent encounter there, and with software security overall so that any of Tweaking's user's could possibly learn from my mistakes.

Oh and BTW, I just used Windows Repair on another system, and wanted to let you guy's know, it performed flawlessly and completely and successfully worked it's magic, and the owner couldn't be happier now that they have a 'brand new' PC again.   :cheesy:

Nor could I because it made me look like a rock star in their eyes and they'll most likely be retaining me as their support guy for any future issues. 

Two big thumbs up to Shane as usual.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 01:39:25 am »
No problemo Julian. I hope I didn't overstep any forum/site rules with that post.  I was just attempting to convey my experience(s) with a recent encounter there, and with software security overall so that any of Tweaking's user's could possibly learn from my mistakes.

Oh and BTW, I just used Windows Repair on another system, and wanted to let you guy's know, it performed flawlessly and completely and successfully worked it's magic, and the owner couldn't be happier now that they have a 'brand new' PC again.   :cheesy:

Nor could I because it made me look like a rock star in their eyes and they'll most likely be retaining me as their support guy for any future issues. 

Two big thumbs up to Shane as usual.
Nah you're good I just don't want to take credit for Shane's work ha. When Shane get's his mind set on programming he is at it till it's perfected. Some days I'm surprised he has not passed out on the keyboard and typed random letters like sdfffffffffffsddddddddddddddddd in his program hahaha.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:49:23 am »
When Shane get's his mind set on programming he is at it till it's perfected. Some days I'm surprised he has not passed out on the keyboard and typed random letters like sdfffffffffffsddddddddddddddddd in his program hahaha.

Actually I have, but that is another story lol

It is friday night, I got way WAY behind on forum posts, 87 waiting for me to read and go through. So with it being almost 1 am for me I am still tired from my 4 day programming spree.

So if you dont mind, send me a reminder on monday and I can answer better when my head is more clear :-)

Shane