Author Topic: setacl crash  (Read 6411 times)

Offline davexnet

• View Profile
setacl crash
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:03:42 am »
Hello - had no luck running this in safemode with networking, it crashed every time after 5 minutes or so.
(This is in my Windows 7 32-bit home PC)

Eventually ran the repair tools in normal mode, right clicking on the icon and choosing "run as administrator".
This time it ran to normally, to completion.

Had another problem that showed up after running default file permissions.  The symptom was that if you added
a new user (user applet in Control Panel), everything *looked* normal, until that user tried to logon, which failed.

A look at the c:\users\....  showed that the set of files for the new user had not been created.  After checking the event viewer,
the system had a problem copying certain files from c:\users\default to the new profile.  The solution was to make a change to the
users\default permissions.

Seems like a strange problem to crop up, anyway, the problem and solution are documented here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7fb93109-218c-43d7-b29a-ceaffc598b58/user-profile-service-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded?forum=w7itprogeneral

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: setacl crash
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:31:55 am »
hmmm set_acl crashing should be fixed in the next update Shane found out the issues and 3.4.2 should fix the set acl crashing
Julian

Offline davexnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
First, Let me free the repair tool from any responsibility for my issues with creating a standard user;
I restored the image I took before running the tool and the problem was already in existence.
The solution at technet.microsoft.com resolved the problem.

I booted into safemode with networking and ran 3.42, chose the default tools.  However, I deselected 28.01,
29 & 30 - these appear to be for Windows 8 & 10.

The system seems in a better state of health now.

I noticed a couple of things, the Netlogon service should have a default of manual; apparently it's only if you're on
a domain (the tool set it to automatic)
Secondly, perhaps it's worth mentioning in the right pane that the Windows update repair removes all the update history and
does a complete reset.
Thanks again for a great tool.
Dave

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:53:22 pm »
The repair program will skip those by default if its not Windows 8 and 10
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 12:46:34 am »
I restored the image I took before running the tool and the problem was already in existence.
The solution at technet.microsoft.com resolved the problem.

I read the link and looks like it was just a file and folder permissions problem for the default user profile. What is odd is my windows repair is suppose to fix that, on the file permissions repair for 7, 8 and 10 it will put back the defaults on that folder. Well i should also say that v3.4.2 had the permissions redone and updated.

So if the file permissions repair didnt fix it I would love to find out why and update the program :-)

I noticed a couple of things, the Netlogon service should have a default of manual; apparently it's only if you're on
a domain (the tool set it to automatic)

Yes, I had to set it to auto for users who run the repairs on a domain, since when you are on a domain it is set to auto and not manual. It is annoying to see that entry in the event viewer at startup. Perhaps I need to add some code to detect if the system if part of a domain, if it is it puts it to auto, if it isnt it puts it to manual.

Secondly, perhaps it's worth mentioning in the right pane that the Windows update repair removes all the update history and
does a complete reset.

Correct because the windows updates is wiped and reset, but the installed updates still show up in add/remove programs and windows updates does rebuild its database of what updates are installed after you run it again. Thats why the first time you run it after the repair it takes a while, WU is rebuilding its internal database :-)

Shane