Author Topic: Windows 10 Start button not working  (Read 15125 times)

Offline jhapperson

• View Profile
Windows 10 Start button not working
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:31:55 pm »
I updated to windows 10 and ended up with the read only problem on all disks.  I used this tool and great news is it fixed it.  The problem now is that my tool bar does not auto hide, the ask me anything next to the start button does not accept text, and the start button does not respond.  This occurred as a result of running your program.  I ran the program following all instructions including all of the default items to be run.  If you are unable to help I guess I will have to run a clean install.  My Windows 8.1 was having crash problems and I had major problems using the automatic Windows 10 installation.  I had to revert back to the restore on my HP laptop and after going though all of the different patches for 8.0 and 8.1 MS told me my computer was not acceptable even though it was the HP original 8,0 updated to the latest patch and was OK before my restore.  I finally found an almost hidden menu under Windows 10 that allowed an ISO image of both 32 and 64 bit.  I installed from that and was happy until the read only bug hit.  I give this background only because it might have something to do with this mess.  I had Windows 8.1 home premium to start this process.  I forgot to say the computer is taking longer to boot.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:21:21 pm by jhapperson, Reason: add information »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Start button not working
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
Open a admin PowerShell box and copy And paste this
Code: [Select]
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}]/code]
Julian

Offline jhapperson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:37 pm »
Tried that and it didn't work.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
Alright so if you say all this happened after you ran the repairs reload the registry to before the repairs 95% of the program repairs is registry related
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »
Alright so if you say all this happened after you ran the repairs reload the registry to before the repairs 95% of the program repairs is registry related
By the way I've seen this issue with Windows 10 a lot it likes to break.  Have you tried running the program twice.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »
You have to make sure to open powershell as administrator for that command to work by the way :wink:

Shane

Offline jhapperson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:47 pm »
You have to make sure to open powershell as administrator for that command to work by the way :wink:

Shane
I had a hard time getting to powershell as administrator to do this.  I am not blaming your software since I have been peeling the onion of Win 10.  It is like playing wackamole!  Very frustrating.  I keep searching the web for fixes to the current problem.  That is how I found your software!  I love this site.

Offline professor_jonny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:21:44 am »
I'm having the same problem and it has to re deploy the packages using the power shell script but after a restart the problem come's back :-(

Is there a way to permanently fix this issue this issue?
the issuie is tied to me runnning ccleaner or free registry defrag.

I did a fresh install ran those programs and the problem came up I then reformatted and did the same thing and verified one of these two programs caused this issues.

As you can imagine I would like to find the cause and repair it is there some way I can take a before and after registry image and compare the two in an easy way to find the problem or offending keys causing the problem?

I'm using the same power shell script above but I made it start up in a admin window using some trickery in the script but I have to run it every time I start windows or the start menu and all the metro apps don't work.

I had to enable execution of scripts from power shell but it automatically fixes my problem on boot now.

function IsAdministrator
{
    $Identity = [System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()
    $Principal = New-Object System.Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal($Identity)
    $Principal.IsInRole([System.Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole]::Administrator)
}

function IsUacEnabled
{
    (Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System).EnableLua -ne 0
}

#

#
if (!(IsAdministrator))
{
    if (IsUacEnabled)
    {
        [string[]]$argList = @('-NoProfile', '-NoExit', '-File', $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path)
        $argList += $MyInvocation.BoundParameters.GetEnumerator() | Foreach {"-$($_.Key)", "$($_.Value)"}
        $argList += $MyInvocation.UnboundArguments
        Start-Process PowerShell.exe -Verb Runas -WorkingDirectory $pwd -ArgumentList $argList
        return
    }
    else
    {
        throw "You must be administrator to run this script"
    }
}
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
exit

Offline pablo204

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 01:23:40 am »
Hi,

could you please tell me how I can open powershell as admin if i cannot go into the start menu?  I also have the same problem - i cant click on start menu nor the serch bar nor the icons on the right.

Thanks

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 05:17:07 pm »
Can you run a batch file as administrator?
Hi,

could you please tell me how I can open powershell as admin if i cannot go into the start menu?  I also have the same problem - i cant click on start menu nor the serch bar nor the icons on the right.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:38:01 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline pablo204

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 05:20:13 am »
yep but the line someone has given above doesnt work it says 'Get-AppxPackage' is not a recognisable batch file

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:24:40 pm »
yep but the line someone has given above doesnt work it says 'Get-AppxPackage' is not a recognisable batch file
because it needs to be ran in power shell  not cms here I wrote this batch file it should work.
@echo off
echo Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}>Startmenu.ps1
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "Startmenu.ps1"
del Startmenu.ps1
Julian

Offline pablo204

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 01:51:50 pm »
ive attached a file of what it says thanks

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »
ive attached a file of what it says thanks
lol okay I see your issue open word pad copy the bat file code then save as .bat then right click the .bat file and hit run as admin.
Julian

Offline pablo204

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:29 pm »
nope sorry the store is still not working

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 03:02:50 pm »
nope sorry the store is still not working
Can you open ? Start menu if so now would be the time to run Windows repair to fix the store
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 08:11:30 pm »
I found the problem of the start menu not working with the icons missing and the right click options gone. It has to do with registry permissions in the HKEY Classes Root section. The SetAcl program I was using for the permissions wasnt doing something right and would cause the problem.

In the new version of my program v3.5.0 I have replaced SetAcl with my own tool and it now sets the default permissions properly and it even fixes the start menu problem as well :-)

Shane