Author Topic: Windows 10 Upgrade fails every time and using all methods  (Read 24566 times)

Offline elw

• View Profile
Windows 10 Upgrade fails every time and using all methods
« on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:48 pm »
Like millions of people all over the world I was waiting expectantly for the July 29 launch of the Windows 10 upgrade but after numerous attempts by whatever conceivable method people (from the various internet forums on the subject) were saying worked for them, HAS NOT worked for me.

What methods have I done to try an upgrade?
1.   Using Windows Update (this has only happened  a couple of times) but generally Windows update does not advise me of an the upgrade.
2.   Using the force Windows Update method i.e. in the CMD type wuauclt.exe/updatenow
With both methods the download/installation fails when the progress bar is approximately 1/3 of the way across. Note that in the past three days I have received 10 "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home failed"  in the View Update History of Windows Update.
Note that I have the Get Windows 10 app in the taskbar and to date it states that "Your free upgrade is on the way" or "Your upgrade is reserved").  Not once has it indicated that my reservation is ready to upgrade which interestingly enough, occurred on my wife's ASUS F3E notebook running Windows 7 (originally Vista) which is several years old now. She had no problems upgrading to Windows 10 on her notebook whatsoever.
My notebook  is also an ASUS with an Intel Core i&-3630QM 2.40 Ghz processor, 64-bit operating system, 1GB ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GeForce 610M and a terabyte hard disk - seemingly well above the specifications required for Windows 10.
3.   I have also tried using the Windows Media Creation Tool (on numerous occasions now) but it also fails when it states that "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" during the "Making sure that you're ready to install" stage of the set up.  This has been the main method I have tried AND HAS INVOLVED OVER 200Gb of downloads (thank got I recently changed my ISP plan to include unlimited data).

I have sought help from Microsoft Support on four occasions (with them remotely accessing my computer to see what was going on in my computer) but with no luck and am now waiting to be contacted by their 'Level 2' support technician and all ASUS has advised is to take my notebook to their service depot for "assessment" suggesting it could be a hardware issue (note BIOS and all drivers have been updated). How they could work out (over the phone) it is a hardware issue beats me!  They also say that my notebook model does not support Windows 10 upgrade via Windows Update and that I have to use the Media Creation Tool.

So what can be going on?  Anyone else have the same problem or even a solution? Why am I unable to upgrade to Windows 10?

Looking forward to some responses and maybe a solution.

Thanks, Erik
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:55:25 pm by elw, Reason: spelling mistake »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Upgrade fails every time and using all methods
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:08:18 pm »
I have had a lot of people how couldnt upgrade run my windows repair and ALL the repairs, in safe mode (Sometimes you have to run it twice) and that got them going.

Have you tried that yet?

Shane

Offline jhapperson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »
Like millions of people all over the world I was waiting expectantly for the July 29 launch of the Windows 10 upgrade but after numerous attempts by whatever conceivable method people (from the various internet forums on the subject) were saying worked for them, HAS NOT worked for me.

What methods have I done to try an upgrade?
1.   Using Windows Update (this has only happened  a couple of times) but generally Windows update does not advise me of an the upgrade.
2.   Using the force Windows Update method i.e. in the CMD type wuauclt.exe/updatenow
With both methods the download/installation fails when the progress bar is approximately 1/3 of the way across. Note that in the past three days I have received 10 "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home failed"  in the View Update History of Windows Update.
Note that I have the Get Windows 10 app in the taskbar and to date it states that "Your free upgrade is on the way" or "Your upgrade is reserved").  Not once has it indicated that my reservation is ready to upgrade which interestingly enough, occurred on my wife's ASUS F3E notebook running Windows 7 (originally Vista) which is several years old now. She had no problems upgrading to Windows 10 on her notebook whatsoever.
My notebook  is also an ASUS with an Intel Core i&-3630QM 2.40 Ghz processor, 64-bit operating system, 1GB ram, Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GeForce 610M and a terabyte hard disk - seemingly well above the specifications required for Windows 10.
3.   I have also tried using the Windows Media Creation Tool (on numerous occasions now) but it also fails when it states that "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" during the "Making sure that you're ready to install" stage of the set up.  This has been the main method I have tried AND HAS INVOLVED OVER 200Gb of downloads (thank got I recently changed my ISP plan to include unlimited data).

I have sought help from Microsoft Support on four occasions (with them remotely accessing my computer to see what was going on in my computer) but with no luck and am now waiting to be contacted by their 'Level 2' support technician and all ASUS has advised is to take my notebook to their service depot for "assessment" suggesting it could be a hardware issue (note BIOS and all drivers have been updated). How they could work out (over the phone) it is a hardware issue beats me!  They also say that my notebook model does not support Windows 10 upgrade via Windows Update and that I have to use the Media Creation Tool.

So what can be going on?  Anyone else have the same problem or even a solution? Why am I unable to upgrade to Windows 10?

Looking forward to some responses and maybe a solution.

Thanks, Erik
I went through the same process and worse.  I did a refresh on my HP laptop and started over with Win 8.0.  When I got all the way back up MS refused to recognize my computer as acceptable.  What I finally found by googling for an upgrade download is there is a page on the Window 10 of the MS site that lets you download a program that will create either an ISO file or creste a DVD with either the 32 or 64 bit versions.  I wish you good hunting!

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:37:07 pm »
Shane: I have tried your Windows Repair tool but not ALL the settings (only the default settings) and only once. So maybe I should try again but I have spent so much time trying to upgrade to Windows 10 that after 4 weeks I am running out of energy and patience -  even motivation.  At least Windows 8.1 is running fine.

JHapperson: I have tried the methods you suggest (creating an ISO file). I think you have to 'mount' that file, think I did that correctly but maybe you (or Shane) could clarify the steps to take once I have downloaded the ISO file.  I got the ISO download maybe two or three weeks ago.  Is it best to download a more recent version if indeed there is one?

Thanks, Erik

Offline jhapperson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:03 pm »
Shane: I have tried your Windows Repair tool but not ALL the settings (only the default settings) and only once. So maybe I should try again but I have spent so much time trying to upgrade to Windows 10 that after 4 weeks I am running out of energy and patience -  even motivation.  At least Windows 8.1 is running fine.

JHapperson: I have tried the methods you suggest (creating an ISO file). I think you have to 'mount' that file, think I did that correctly but maybe you (or Shane) could clarify the steps to take once I have downloaded the ISO file.  I got the ISO download maybe two or three weeks ago.  Is it best to download a more recent version if indeed there is one?

Thanks, Erik
I wrote both to disk as ISO files.  Then burned them to DVDs.  I used the DVD to do the upgrade by starting it from 8.1.

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:38:12 pm »
Hi JHapperson: Did what you suggested (in fact have tried both on numerous previous occasions) but still no luck.  Also read a suggestion today:

1: Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateOSUpgrade]
2: Within the key, you’ll need to create a new 32-bit DWORD with the name AllowOSUpgrade and set its value to 0x00000001.
Once you’re done editing the registry, exit the editor and open up the Control Panel. Navigate to Windows Update and press the Check for Updates button. If you edited the keys correctly, you will now see the update; press the Get Started button to start the upgrade process.

After doing this Windows Update says "Upgrade to Windows 10" but this also failed with an error code C190011F.  Also there are two other previous "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - Failed" with error codes 80070652 and 80246010.  Confusing why there are three different error codes.

Could it be that my computer is not yet compatible to be upgraded? I have updated the BIOS and also drivers.  There has to be a reason out there somewhere but what is it?  Anyone else having the same problem or have found a solution?

Erik

Offline jrny2k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:23 am »
I don't have an answer, but I am having a similar (same?) issue. When you get the "Modern Setup Host has stopped working", go into computer management and take a look at the most recent application error. Mine always looks something like:

Faulting application name: SetupHost.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16384, time stamp: 0x559f385f
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x545055fe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000017be
Faulting process id: 0x2a34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e1b58ce8db4b
Faulting application path: C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\SetupHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
Report Id: 7f1ed623-4da9-11e5-8306-08002700307d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

BTW, how did you get a hold of a MS human, I haven't yet?

Offline elw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »
Hi jrny2k,

I too have the same (similar) error but what does this mean and how foes one 'fix' the error.  Went to the website help (via Computer Management) but there was nothing specific for msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.9600.17415.  Can anyone out there shed any light on the matter?

Thanks,

Erik

PS: I have been able to get help form Micosoft Answer Desk (four times in fact) via their 'chat line' and remote computer access service and am now awaiting a call back from a level two tech (they did ring back but very early in the morning before I was out of bed).  Hoping to hear back from them today.  Will keep you posted.

My computer manufacturer wasn't too helpful insisting that I use the Media Creation tool (which I explained twice that I had already tried that method) to download an ISO file which I have mounted/burned to a USB and DVD respectively but neither work.

Offline feh50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:29:18 am »
I have the same problem, i posted another incident but it appears all are related. The first problem i notice is the Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976978), will not install; this update has tried and failed over a 3 month period and i have tried many "fixes" to no avail. I mistakenly thought i could bypass this problem by installing win 10 (pro version) but install stops with the "Modern Setup Host has stopped working" i have tried clean boot, run the tweaking from safe mode (all many times). I tried to do a refresh but says volume is locked. So no progress whatsoever