Author Topic: ran tweaking for windows 10  (Read 6440 times)

Offline john

• View Profile
ran tweaking for windows 10
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:37:42 am »
lost most used icons and some apps also how do I restore them .tried running tweaking again but still lost apps

Offline klh

• View Profile
Re: ran tweaking for windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:51:48 pm »
I am having the same issue. I was able to use the restore feature to get them all back.
I tried resetting the icon cache but that did not work.... only restoring the registry worked.
Hopefully they can fix this issue.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 03:55:21 pm »
hmmm you can restore the registry to before the repairs ran. see if that clears it up and if it does try running the repairs again to see if your problem re create's it self.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »
Run the registry permissions repair from my WR v3.5.0 and it will fix it.

SetAcl that I was using before wasnt setting the permissions correctly. I have replaced it with my own and it now restores the permissions correctly and it also fixes this issue. This is a registry permission problem somewhere in the hkey_classes_root and is one of those annoying, poor programming bugs of Microsoft's where if a certain key, even though it does have full access, isnt exactly the way it wants it will bug out.

So lets say a key has Administrators set as the owner instead of System. Even though system has full access to anything administrators do, it will error. Windows 8 app store had this same bug. The start menu in 10 isnt the start menu in explorer, it is actually an App now.

So now in the new version of my Windows Repair the proper defaults get put back and the start menu icons, and right click menu start working again :-)

Shane