Author Topic: Missing files; no Restore Points; can't set Restore Points; et al.  (Read 15791 times)

Offline rgm

• View Profile
Missing files; no Restore Points; can't set Restore Points; et al.
« on: September 13, 2015, 09:53:10 am »
[Sent post using Firefox; after a bit of a wait, I was returned to the New Topic window, and I still don't see my post in the forum, so I am trying it without the CBS.log attachment.]
[Post froze on IE, so I am trying again, with fewer details.]
Windows 7 Pro

Since a couple of updates ago, Tweaking.com's Windows Repair has been not opening repairs or taking a minute or two to do so, with all subsequent clicks once opened also taking forever to register.  For several months, when I go to Windows Restore, it either only lists Restore points from 2014 or says there are none, even though previous recent Windows Updates have made them and I make one every time I use your Windows Repair.  Last week, Windows Update would reboot to Installing 1 of 18 and never do it even when waiting overnight; once, it said it couldn't create a Restore Point.  Lately, when I try to create a Restore Point manually, nothing happens.

I am attaching the CBS.log (in which I can't find the files it said needed to be located in it); and here is the missing-files list and the error report:

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.5.0 - Pre-Scan
Computer: PC3 (Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) (64-bit)
Started at (9/10/2015 11:43:29 AM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scanning Windows Packages Files.
Started at (9/10/2015 11:43:29 AM)

These Files Are Missing: (Total: 6)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_1_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.mum
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3035583_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3035583_RTM~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.mum
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.cat
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.20.mum

6 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

THESE FILES DO NOT KEEP THE REPAIRS FROM WORKING; YOU MAY STILL RUN THE REPAIRS IN THE PROGRAM.

If you need help in replacing these files, post on the Forums at Tweaking.com for help.

Files Checked & Verified: 6,541

Done (9/10/2015 11:45:53 AM)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)>"C:\Windows\system32\sfc" /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:07:28 am by rgm, Reason: Apparently CBS.log was corrupt, so I restored it from yesterday »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing files; no Restore Points; can't set Restore Points; et al.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:56:30 pm »
Here for my mistake on deleting your thread. I'm going to dedicate my time to making sure your problem get's fixed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:16:35 pm by Julian »
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »
Give me a bit I'll get you those files .
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 05:31:51 pm »
Ah those were a lil tough to find i did not have them in my cat and mum database but i added them and uploaded them here is a quote from  one of Shane's previous posts on another thread about the steps to take to apply these files.

First grab the zip file off this page and apply the reg file it in to add the take owner ship to the right click menu in explorer.
http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/add_quottake_ownershipquot_to_right_click_menu_in_vista_amp_7,1.html

Once that is done go to C:\Windows\servicing\ and right click on Packages and click on take ownership. You will now be able to copy the files into that folder.

I have attached the missing files, extract the files out of the attached zip file and put them in the C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\ folder.

Then run my pre-scan again, put a check on the box to have it add the cat files back to the database. :wink:

Shane
(THIS REPAIR IS USER SPECIFIC IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES WITH MISSING CAT OR MUM FILES MAKE A POST IN COMPUTER HELP AND I WILL HUNT DOWN THOSE FILES FOR YOU) :cheesy:
Julian

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 06:54:00 pm »
Thanks so much.  In answer to an earlier question, which you may have figured out by now, it was the two erroneous replies *I* made before I found the Modify button that needed deleting after I removed the replies' text and put it where it belonged.  So it was my fault in the first place (answer to the deleted in error part); but thanks for getting me this info.  I really appreciate it.

I'm letting you know now that I have received this (great!!!) result:
---------------------------------------------------------
Scanning Windows Packages Files.
Started at (9/13/2015 8:06:09 PM)

No problems were found with the Packages Files.

Files Checked & Verified: 6,557

Done (9/13/2015 8:33:19 PM)
---------------------------------------------------------

It is still doing the Reparse check (it usually finds one, which I correct, and it's back the next time).  But I have 2,726,640 files (or files and folders; I'm never sure what is being tallied there), and it is on about 420,000 now, so that will take a while to complete!  I wanted you to know that the missing files part worked and that I'm not sitting around ignoring all this when you went the extra mile to get these for me fast!  :)

I will let you know further results after I reboot to see whether Windows Update updates and maybe after I reboot to safe mode to do a full check/repair.

Thanks again,

Richard

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:15:27 am »
Awesome let me know what happens also lets see what a new sfc scan does
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:00 am »
your restore point issue i need you to open cmd in admin mode type in
Code: [Select]
vssadmin list writers and i need you to type in
vssadmin list providers and if you can get me a snapshot of what it says that would be great oh and i wanna see what restore points you do have.
vssadmin list shadows /for=C:
and this will show me what the storage used allocation and maximum's are

vssadmin list shadowstorage /For=C:
Julian

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:49 pm »
any update on this?
Julian

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:38:22 pm »
That was sort of funny.  I spent all day yesterday doing various repairs, etc., on the computer...and I think my laptop, with somewhat limited results.  (I think the entire computer froze, so I just shut it down.  (That reminds me: it often stays on the "Shutting down..." screen (after all the closing this and that screens) forever without shutting down.)  Then, first thing today, I discovered your new post, so I started doing that.  And then, just now, I was about to do my reply, and it said there was a new post, so I'd better check that first!

The Windows Repair...results.doc shows the results of Windows Repair, which I tried to do from Safe Mode when your first Command Prompt took forever in regular mode and then produced errors in Safe Mode.  I have attached the CBS.log from todays scan.  After I finally finished (gave up) on Windows Repair in Safe Mode, I rebooted, and did the Command Prompt entries (see commandprompt_results.txt.)  The last command is still just sitting there.

Oh, and Windows Update is still claiming "Updates were installed: Never" — even though it has a list of all the ones installed over the years!  It wants to install Windows 10, and I don't want it to.  When I did "Check for updates" this morning, it never finished; I think something else froze, so I rebooted in the meantime.  I started a new check as I started this paragraph, and it's still running, so I may get back to you on that one.  Before I had 18 to 20 available; I think maybe a few of those installed, but I don't know if more have or not.  It claims as it's shutting down to be on 6 of 18 (or wherever for that day) and then goes all night without progressing to the next number.  I am going to leave it on Checking.... and go walk my dogs.  If I have a result when I return, I'll add another reply.

I'm not sure you will want to read another reply after this extensive one!  :)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
hmmm okay so you have no restore points and its just hanging hit ctrl+c that will cancel the command. so if you can give me a picture of the system protection tab on system properties and also a picture of the configure
Julian

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
You are too fast!  lol  (That is a complaint I get when I'm trying to design a website for someone who doesn't want to take the time to make approvals!)

Ummmm....., there is a problem with that tab.  It apparently can't find any available drives, so it won't let me go to Configure.  Are the problems that can't be fixed and can supposedly be found in the CBS.log related to any of this?

Thanks, btw.  Above and beyond.

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 06:01:39 pm »
I went to reboot down my W7 computer, since the Update page was still searching, and it showed updates to load on  the shutdown button.  Shutting down produced several of the same error popups that I meant to mention, as well.  It says something about an error with cmd.exe; I think

It has now been saying installing 1 of 12 for several minutes, basically since my previous reply.  That means 6 were installed the last time it did this, when it was on that overnight, so I turned of the computer, and then rebooted.  My dogs said you were going to walk us an ago, so I will see if it's still on 1 when we get back.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57:03 pm »
Hmmm open up services and tell me what volume shadow service is set at?
Julian

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 08:29:11 pm »
The only shadow I could find in Services was Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider (swprv); it was Stopped.  Nothing in Services seems to have a volume number.  I also checked in Component Services and found nothing.  This is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit; am I looking in the wrong place?  Am I looking for the wrong name?

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:52 am »
Windows sat at 1 of 12 overnight and was still there this morning, so I just shut it down and restarted it.  Now Windows Update shows 11 Windows updates, so I guess maybe that 1 of 12 got installed but never progressed to two.  (There are two other "Important" updates, but I think I hadn't check-marked them.  One is for Office 2007, when I have Office 2003; I think maybe there's a 2007 trial version somewhere on this computer.  The other is for SQL Server 2008, which is always there and never updates; I don't have Server 2008, and I have removed references to it wherever I can find them in the Registry, etc.; and I can't get it to reinstall, either.)

I am going to try check-marking only one or two Updates at a time to see if that works.  Unfortunately, when I click OK after doing that, I am returned to the Get Windows 10 screen instead of the Install Updates screen; they only appear in the Shut down button, so I can only install them by shutting down and then rebooting.

I have attached screen clips of the other two errors I am getting consistently; the one gives a Microsoft link for the error; typically per Microsoft, it doesn't address the error, or at least it doesn't resolve it.

I run Virtual XP on this computer because I had two or three graphics programs, a music-composition program, and a flatbed scanner that wouldn't work in Windows 7.  I discovered that two of my most-used graphics programs work on Windows 8 apparently because my W7 is on a 64-bit system and my W8 is on a 32-bit system.  The scanner is a UMAX Astra 1220 U, and UMAX chose not to provide Windows 7 and beyond drivers for it.  I've looked for years for a driver, and I finally found one last week, which Microsoft didn't like but Norton said was safe.  Microsoft was sort of right, as I had to restore my laptop several times apparently because of it or its program; however, the scanner now shows up as available and functioning properly both in Devices and Printers and in Device Manager, yet Paint, Photoshop Essentials, and other programs can't seem to see it, so I can't use it.  If I could get it to work, I might consider giving up my music program (and use the Windows 8 app, which is similar) and then install Windows 10 on this computer.

This long explanation is for the question, would installing Windows 10 on top of a broken Windows 7 resolve the issues or just make them worse?  And, though it should be in a separate post, is there a way to get the UMAX scanner recognized by programs that can actually use it?  And I guess a third question:

I think the installation disk for my music program is on a 4.5" floppy disk, so I just copied all the files over; it begins to load, but, when I choose the style, it says there's a protection error in a specified .dll file.  Is this something that can be fixed "unprotected"?  Or is the "Incompatible program" error I received once while trying it correct?

(I think I helped Shane find some errors in Windows Repair for W10, so I don't feel *quite* as guilty about all the time you've spent here.  lol  BTW, the last time I went to use Windows Repair, it said there was a new version, 3.5.1, but the website page still said 3.5.0; I tried the download anyhow, and it showed 3.5.1.  Maybe he just hadn't had time to change the webpage yet?)

Anyhow, thanks some more! :)

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 01:26:46 pm »
FYI: I just discovered in Virtual PC a setup folder and file for my music-composer program, copied it to my W8 laptop, installed the program, and it worked — even before I located and moved a file it said it couldn't find when the program started!  So now it looks like maybe the only things keeping me from upgrading this PC to Windows 10 are [1] getting my flatbed scanner to work on the 32-bit system (since the driver installation didn't seem to work on W7) and [2] wondering whether I can get a working W10 over a slightly broken W7?

Anyhow, the previous question about Protection in a .dll file is no longer necessary!  :)

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 04:25:58 pm »
Did you give up on me?  :)

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 06:48:13 pm »
im back. sorry been busy at work. it should be volume shadow copy it's in the services. that could be your issue with system restore it's a vital sevice.
Julian

Offline rgm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
What?! -- Work is more important than this?  Ha-ha?

Found it in Task Manager.  It wasn't running; was that a problem?  Or does it just run when needed.  Anyhow, I started it.  And then checked properties for volume; see attached.  Is that the info you needed?  It also lists in Task Manager: PID 10092.  And, when I just now started "Checking for updates..." again, I took a look at the Volume Shadow Copy in Task Manager Services, and it was showing again as stopped, so I started it again.

There are still 11 important Windows updates and two product updates.  I selected the 11, but it won't let me install them directly; it wants me to install W10, instead.  I think I need to reboot to see if they'll install that way.

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 10:01:58 am »
Its default is Manual so it would only fire up as and when - don't know what effect changing it to Started and Auto would have though.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:37:49 am »
Its default is Manual so it would only fire up as and when - don't know what effect changing it to Started and Auto would have though.
just wanted to see if he had the service on manual next I need to see if sens is on automatic  I think its named com+ event system
Julian