Author Topic: need to start in safe mode AND disable auto restart  (Read 5569 times)

Offline garegin

• View Profile
need to start in safe mode AND disable auto restart
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:11:35 am »
Hi

I have a weird problem where the computer freezes at the logon screen in normal mode and restarts during boot during safe mode. I need to made it start in safe mode and disable auto restart. I know about pressing space during boot and then editing the boot options, but don't know what to put in.

Thanks

P.S. I think it's a virus, because it happened right after a malware removal

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: need to start in safe mode AND disable auto restart
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:29:35 am »
Which Windows version are you using and are you talking about actual Safe Mode or the Advanced Boot options where you have Repair your Computer etc.

In the Advanced Boot options you could select Repair your Computer and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Startup Repair and you can run this up to three times if at first it is unsuccessful - or you can use the Restore Point option to take it back to before any of this happened if the restore points are still there, as infections tend to remove them.

Last Known Good Configuration can also restore your machine to when it was booting normally, but selecting Disable auto restart on system failure could produce a BSOD with a Stop Error Code - so I'd leave that one until all else fails.

Another option is to select Safe Mode with Networking and run the Windows Repair program.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:31:44 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: need to start in safe mode AND disable auto restart
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:56 pm »
two ways to do that. Sounds like the system is auto rebooting after a blue screen. You can disable the auto restart from the Windows F8 boot menu.

Or you can go to system properties, startup and recovery and take the check off the Automatic restart. :wink:

Shane