Author Topic: Issues with 8.1  (Read 6144 times)

Offline linkpcx

• View Profile
Issues with 8.1
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:49 am »
I tried searching the forums but I didn't find anything... Every time I run tweaking.com on Windows 8.1 computers, all the apps go missing. They all have a little X on them and can't be opened. The only way I have been able to recover them is to do a complete reinstall which takes a lot of time after I've already had a computer for a few days for VR. I have taken to not using it anymore on 8.1 machines but I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong or something in the settings that would cause this? Any insight would be appreciated, especially about how to get these programs back easily because I really don't want to have to spend a few more days on this computer backing up his data and doing a reinstall when that's not what he came in for.

Thanks,

Link

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with 8.1
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:15:36 pm »
Do the Windows app store repair and make sure to do the full app store repair not the first one.
Julian

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with 8.1
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:09:20 pm »
It is also normal for the X to chow on the apps, but when you click on them they should be redownloaded from the app store.

The app store is rebuilt, so those 3rd party apps are missing from the registry but are still installed, thats why they still show up. Then after the repair when you go to click on them windows will download anything missing info it needs from them, a lot of times going to the app store and having it check for updates will do the trick as well. I even had it auto doit after a few reboots as Windows keeps the app store up to date automatically.

Shane