Author Topic: Troubleshooting my CDDVD  (Read 12343 times)

Offline MikeyEnergy

• View Profile
Troubleshooting my CDDVD
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »
My CDDVD rom drive will not run and I have looked all over the Internet on how to fix it with no results ... I tried the Tweaking tool for CDDVD fix but it didn't find a problem . This is what actually is in my system information folder for windows 8.1 on my Toshiba "  cdfs   CD/DVD File System Reader   c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdfs.sys   File System Driver   No   Disabled   Stopped   OK   Normal   No   No " Does anyone know how to correct this ? I have no idea ... Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting my CDDVD
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:23:19 am »
I don't know what Shane's CD/DVD fix does but go into Device Manager and if the DVD drive has a black downward pointing arrow next it, then it is disabled.

If this is the case then right click on the drive and select Enable.

If it has a yellow alert next to it then right click on it and select Update Software driver and have it search online for a driver.

In Device Manager you can also right click on it and select Uninstall and then click on Action/Scan for hardware changes and wait for it to reinstall, or just reboot.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:32:37 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:32:50 am »
Hi,
Mike, If you had given a little more about the problem , boggins would have given the exact solution.What is the actual status of the cd dvd drive. Is it showing activity when you insert any dvd or cd?
                         Could you see the light glowing in the drive?
                                          What is the status? Is there any pop up menu? Could you listen to the sound inside the dvd rom. From when the problem occurred? If it is a software issue, then boggins solution would fix your issue. If it is hardware , then you have to check for hardware errors. Here is a fixit for your system 8.1 and try it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline MikeyEnergy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:27 am »
I believe it's a Microsoft driver misconfiguration issue from what little information I got about the problem effecting Intel . HP, Toshiba , Dell machines on a very small problematic scale and on OP systems ranging  from XP to present mine being the latest . .. The only thing the Hardware does is eject the tray , the lite does go on but shuts down normally I suppose .. When I open and load the disk and close the door it does make sound like it is trying to read but then says ' please insert disk '  or it has the suggestion to find the proper disk .... Also , these are previously burned disks , DVDRW - CD-R  that I burned on this drive .  I did find firmware that seemed to at least give me control to copy a cannon priniter installation  , The firmware was Burn4Free ( .com ) however,   I had to restore my system and it didn't work the second time around . Microsoft isn't that helpful on troubleshooting this issue so I do thank for any help I can get for sure ..
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:53:03 am by MikeyEnergy »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:49:29 am »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:13 am »
hmmm sounds driver related can you open device manager go to you cd drive rightclick hit properties and under the general tab you should see device status can you tell me what it say's under that? here is a snapshot of what it looks like
Julian

Offline MikeyEnergy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 06:48:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions I have tried them but nothing worked so I managed to take  snap shot of my registry in atapi for the cddvd rom... Thanks to windows help on their website I managed to screw things up just a tad bit more ... lets see if this works you might get a nude image of my girl friend lol kidding
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:00:02 pm by MikeyEnergy »

Offline Amadeus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »
Interesting issue - my Dell XPS M1330 has had an issue with the CD/DVD player for about a year. I've been on many different forums to see if there is a fix. The odd thing is it will play DVD's both ones I've recorded and ones commercially recorded. But, it will not play CD's. I did try the FixIt jraju posted, which was tried earlier this year with no luck. Same result today.
The interesting part of this is when a DVD is inserted the drive will show up in the directory and the DVD plays just fine. When I insert a CD, the drive disappears. The CD will try to start up usually about three times. It tries to spin up but only gets partway there before giving up.
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Haven't worked on this issue for many months. Will take it up again and post any results.

-Another thought -

Your CD/DVD device may not be recognized when plugged into your computer. This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are being used in the registry. Removing upper and lower filters in the registry will fix this problem. Suggest before digging into the registry make a backup, just in case.
Go to this key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - to see if those filters are there. If so, delete them. Do not delete UpperFilters.bak if it exists.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:48:58 pm by Amadeus, Reason: Added suggestion »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 02:00:01 am »
Interesting issue - my Dell XPS M1330 has had an issue with the CD/DVD player for about a year. I've been on many different forums to see if there is a fix. The odd thing is it will play DVD's both ones I've recorded and ones commercially recorded. But, it will not play CD's. I did try the FixIt jraju posted, which was tried earlier this year with no luck. Same result today.
The interesting part of this is when a DVD is inserted the drive will show up in the directory and the DVD plays just fine. When I insert a CD, the drive disappears. The CD will try to start up usually about three times. It tries to spin up but only gets partway there before giving up.
Haven't worked on this issue for many months. Will take it up again and post any results.

I can't see this being a software problem but you could install the K-Lite Pack and perhaps work your way through these WMP trouble shooting steps.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft_fix_it_download.htm

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:14:44 am »
Hi, amedus,
                           That is the fix that fixed my problem. If the cd is not shown, if it is inserted, try this. Go to Folder OPtions. See if in the general tab, in the folders , both items are checked and see.
                                 Naturally if cd dvd are not working, it is either the third party program disabled it or there is some corruption in the registry.
                                        Please check whether the Hardware detection services in the services are enabled. If this is not, then hardware would not be deducted by the computer. If it is disabled, make it enabled and auto detect. These services are disabled by third party program, particularly dvd programs sometimes. Upper and lower filters might do the trick, if you correctly do. There are many more keys associated with cd rom.
                                       If you meddle with these keys , then it may further corrupt.  I think, that registry correction program by Shane would do good to correct , corrupt entries .

Offline MikeyEnergy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »

I can't see this being a software problem but you could install the K-Lite Pack and perhaps work your way through these WMP trouble shooting steps.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft_fix_it_download.htm

Thank for replying I checked that Registry field you suggested  and there isn't any filters there not even the . Bak filter..  I am running a program that Microsoft suggested to use which is a registry tool ... I have everything backed up with an awesome handy program called Rollback RX Home and have already had to use it once :O ... Thanks again