Author Topic: (Solved) Immediate:Quick solution needed for unusual problem  (Read 7709 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
(Solved) Immediate:Quick solution needed for unusual problem
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:25:57 am »
Hi,
                       I have constructed a new water tank and using it.  About 3 days back, i found the smell of water little punchant  and looked at the well to see if anydead is in the well.
                             It turns out that all is well with the well. But , while removing the opening of water tank, I found a dead lizard we call it onan, onana, a kind of chameleon, a very small one in the water tank. I could not imagine how it got in to that. There was a small gap in the opening that made onan to meet its death.
                                  The nausating smell was unbearable and I immediately removed it flushed the water completely from the tank and cleaned the same with bleaching powder.
                                         I have closed the tank after that and hope that everything ends well.
                                                   But alas, the next morning the new water has punchant smell . Some body advised to keep the tank lid open for few more days.
                                                     Nearly 3 days passed but the smell continues making us unhealthy in mind and body. The smell, when you open the tab is unbelievable to write.It is as if , we would soon get swooned.
                                                            Is it that much deadlier lizard . We have been using the water any way.
                                                               We have tried to close the valve to get the water from the other alternative old tank, but the smell does not stop giving bad odour with nothing could be compared.
                                                                     I would be looking for quick solution to this problem. I have used bleaching powder. Some body advised chlorine, but that not was not available freely.
                                                                         The inhaling of this smell, made us tired and a sort of dullness through out for few days.
                                                             is there any solution , pl immediate.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:49:00 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: Immediate:Quick solution needed for unusual problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 11:35:26 am »
Chlorine seems to be the way to go.

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/envsan/tn03/en/

Does the tank have an overflow outlet? If so you may want to find a way to prevent wildlife getting in, but allowing water to escape. I recently replaced an old galvanised tank with a polypropylene one, including a screen filter to prevent unwanted inseccts etc getting in.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:58:48 am by Samson »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 09:50:58 pm »
Hi, Your advice is good. But how to flush out chlorine is the problem as the residue , once when refilled would pose health hazard as it is in raw form is highly ferocious.
                        Would a lizard do that kind of smell damages? Would not surf powder cleaning enough all over the inner side of the tank.
                                    As a measure, i cleaned the alternate small tank completely and mixed with quantities of vinegar, soap  etc. But the smell subdued but still there.
                                           Sun , uv rays, natural cleaner could not penetrate as the lid is small of the size of 2.6x2 feet, of a big tank.
                                                  Would the sun exposure alone clean in some days.
                                                         I will definitely try to use chlorin with an expert user of chlorine.
                                                                   Thanks samson

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:34:51 am »
The stench of decomposition can be hard to get rid of entirely, but with time and effort it should be gone. Given that the deceased was relatively small you should be able to accomplish it.

Reminds me of an episode of Mythbusters when they locked 2 dead pigs in a Corvette for 2 months, then "cleaned" it and sold the car (minus the interior trim). The smell was still there, albeit significantly diminished, and the buyer was going to break the car for parts anyway.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:33:36 pm »
Hi, Adkick
                   No relevance to the matter in your link. Sorry

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 10:47:50 pm »
Hi, samson,
                Your remark: Given that the deceased was relatively small you should be able to accomplish it.
                                      Yes i got rid of it at last. I hired a person, who sprinkled dettol in to the tank and then flushed the entire tank thro the exit outlet.
                                         I also dropped alum (we call it Padikaram) and a sizable quantities of bleaching powder and now the water is clean.
                                             I have put a Stainless Steel mesh with holes in between to cover as lid and make it fit with the opening of the lid. Now , screwed by clamps and a handle, i could atlast breath fresh  air and water. Thanks for your comments and tips