Author Topic: Repaired and now new errors  (Read 6089 times)

Offline frankc

• View Profile
Repaired and now new errors
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:12:01 am »
I had a problem with installing new programs and updates turned out to be the windows installer.  I downloaded and ran, in safe mode, the Tweaking.com program.  Now my windows installer appears to be working.  :cheesy:       

But since doing that I have a new problem. :sad:    The cmd.exe sfc.exe and quite a few others will not work.  I keep getting the message, even at startup,   The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).  Click OK to close application. Even the taskschd comes up with the cannot start when I first switch on the computer. 

I have tried several things.  Computer>properties>advanced system properties>environment variables it shows Com spec as c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe  which is where the cmd.exe is.   I am not a novice with computers but neither am I any sort of expert.   

I have tried all the tools in the Tweaking Com program.  Run checkdsc  etc   Run several registry checking programs.  Everything points to the computer running well apart from these glitches.

Ohh yes at one time it would not even load into Safe Mode on pushing the selection at F8 so now I go via the MSCONFIG at the run button. 

Any ideas?   My current direction of thought is downloading the MS tool windows readiness tool.  Thats in progress at the moment.  So any ideas fellas?  :)??

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Repaired and now new errors
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:15:35 am »
My windows repair program is about 95% registry repairs. Normally there isnt ever any problems with files after the repairs. Only time I find users with problems with files is because they had bad sectors on their drives.

But as with anything in windows it is always possible it is registry related as well. As for this error it can be caused by a file not being registered correctly, which isnt normally a problem with the program, or it is because a dll file that is needed is corrupt. So that can be caused by bad sectors on the drive, and I have even had users with bad sectors on their drive have part of the registry end up on a bad sector.

You can see how it is a domino effect lol

So first thing I want you to do is run a chkdsk on the drive and have it look for bad sectors.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put this in

chkdsk c: /r

It will say the drive is in use and would you like to schedule it, hit Y and once done reboot. It should start the scan before windows loads fully. Once done the results will be in the event viewer, post the results and I can see if you have any bad sectors.

Shane

Offline frankc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:56:16 am »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I could not get into the cmd prompt, checking disc or SFC all those commands did not work.  Eventually I could not even get into Safemode.   I ended up formatting and re-installing windows.

The good thing is though I did end up getting rid of a load of c*** that had been on there for years.   With the bonus of being sensible and everything was backed up.  Except the software which I am replacing slowly with more up to date stuff.

But as I said thanks anyway for trying to help.:)

Frank C

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:20:45 pm »
It would still be a good idea to run the chkdsk /r just to ensure your HDD is okay.