Author Topic: Win 10 restore issues Registry Backup  (Read 6538 times)

Offline maxXPsoft

• View Profile
Win 10 restore issues Registry Backup
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:11:34 am »
Is it my extreme remove W10 privacy junk or anyone else seeing this?

Been using your Tweaking.com - Registry Backup program awhile with Win 7 and it worked flawless

Noticed this the other day. Windows 10 and tried again tonight

1. Did a restore using Registry Backup and the Start button would not work, can right click on it and still get list, right click on anything in taskbar like File Explorer list was not giving me recent.

2. Did a normal system restore to a point and MS is even messed up.
Start and right click all work even on taskbar but my pinned items in Start were gone. Only things left were some of the Store Apps, I only have Store and 2 items in there from Store

I do go to the extreme though, I have uninstalled everything MS on the Start menu including Cortana and Search2. Just Store left and 2 apps I use. Yeah I don't care for all their privacy issues. I have been attempting to track where or what they doing with the Start when you pin or unpin but nothing I try captures where they storing that. Am a developer myself and want to figure out how to pin my app without it being a Store item.

Apparently the Reg Backup and even MS restore not tracking that Start menu either
I wait on it each time to do normal backup. Might try using Fallback? Or maybe try under system account

I'm not lost though, have my Acronis images I can restore
Convicted Registry Tweaker
Electronics Technician/Programmer/Industrial Electrician

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 restore issues Registry Backup
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:13 am »
How old was the registry backup?

The new start menu is a stupid app, which means it is easy as glass to break. So if you did a registry backup and the start menu was updated, which they have been doing a lot, then the files and registry keys for it would have changed and so when you do a restore to the old registry it doesnt have the new info in it and the start menu breaks.

I am really really starting to hate how MS has done the whole app thing and how ridiculous it is to break. One thing isnt right and it breaks. Who designs something like that? lol

You would think something as heavily used and as important as the start menu would have some way to adjust and fix what ever it needs. I miss the start menu that was in explorer.exe that thing was hard to break. Then windows 10 start menu will break if you sneeze to hard.

Shane

Offline maxXPsoft

• View Profile
Re: Win 10 restore issues Registry Backup
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 04:41:59 pm »
How old was the registry backup?

The new start menu is a stupid app, which means it is easy as glass to break.
I create one daily with Task scheduler.
Haven't had a chance to try anything else just yet, swamped at work with multiple problems and I'm the senior Elect Tech. Have to bring my stuff home cause I hate anything over 8 out there.

You got that right, Start is a mess. Scattered all over the C: Drive and registry.
Believe Metro Start shortcuts are here but none of my pinned
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts
My Pinned that disappeared are here
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Hmmm, thought I put you in Timeout
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:13:59 pm by maxXPsoft »
Convicted Registry Tweaker
Electronics Technician/Programmer/Industrial Electrician

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile