Author Topic: ran repair tool - now not administrator  (Read 7313 times)

Offline GMO123

• View Profile
ran repair tool - now not administrator
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:36:53 pm »
Hi.
I ran the repair tool.
However now when I try to update from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 I get the message that my account is not an administrator, though it was before using the repair tool.
It still says that I'm an administrator on my account but, as mentioned above, but I can't do anything as an administrator.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Offline GMO123

• View Profile
Re: ran repair tool - now not administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 10:41:44 pm »
"Sounds like the UAC might be messed up.

You can run the permissions repairs for both the registry and files from my windows repair program, you can also try enabling and disabling the UAC. basically just switch what ever way it is now and then switch it back. For some reason that resets it and gets it working normally sometimes."

What is a UAC?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:34:33 am »
UAC is User Account Control which will pop up when you are installing programs or using a program that requires admin privileges.

This article shows you methods in which to disable it and perhaps a reboot before re-enabling may be more effective.

http://techzend.com/disable-user-account-control-windows-81/

Offline GMO123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 02:13:17 pm »
Hi.
I don't have a listing for Local Security Policy.
I have Win 8.0, not 8.1.
I have Windows Home edition that might not have Local Security Policy.

Is there a way to view 'Local Security Policy' in Win 8.0?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:40:21 pm by GMO123 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 02:54:27 pm »
Scrolling down the page to use the Alternative Method would probably have worked for you, but this article is more Win 8.0 specific.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archive/2012/07/18/disabling-user-account-control-in-windows-8.aspx

Offline GMO123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 03:05:26 pm »
Hi.
I did see the Alternative method (which I'm trying right now) but the comments afterwards said it didn't actually work.
I'm looking at your 2nd link and it's a bit confusing because some commenters say it didn't work for them, but I'm still going to try the Alternative Method.
Thank you for your help (I don't want my comments to sound critical of you. I'm trying to be factual only and let you know what is happening).

What is also a bit strange perhaps is that hkey_Local_machine/software/policy/microsoft/windows has no entry/key for a Windowsupdate folder.
I'm unsure whether there should be one.

I'm trying to update from Win 8.0 to Win 8.1 and/or Win 10.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »
Well, what you have posted regarding turning UAC of and then on, says it only works sometimes.

What was the reason you ran the WR program ?

You could run it again and use the registry restore option which should take you back to before you ran the repairs and then see if you have admin privileges.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:55:11 am »
Not sure if I've missed it but I didn't see any reference to that registry key in the earlier links - WindowsUpdate

In the specific Win 8.0 link there is a reference to -

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Systems to change the key EnableLUA data to 0 but there's no need to go into the registry and just using the slider to temporarily disable UAC will be sufficient.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »
I have seen this error before in Windows, it isnt the program, as it doesnt do anything to change the account type you are.

The problem is the UAC, the trick is to turn the uac on or off and then turn back to what it was. When you do that Windows fixes it some how and it works again.

I havent been able to find out why the UAC stops working right and why switching it back and fourth fixes it but so far it does every time.

As an example I have a user with windows 7 and uac turned off. Yet when going to the windows folder and other areas it says they need permissions, say ok and it moves on, never asking for the permissions. it shouldnt be asking at all. Also the UAC icon is on the programs when it shouldnt be. Switch the uac back and fourth, reboot and boom, all fixed. UAC icon is gone and windows stops asking.

I notice this seems to happen after certain updates and the uac gets turned half way back on.

Shane