Author Topic: Update to Windows 10 nightmare  (Read 23499 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Update to Windows 10 nightmare
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 12:02:03 am »
Were those previous scans done on the main C: drive or the external HDD ?

You normally put the drive letter first that you want to check but I've seen the cmd written as chkdsk /f /x /h: where h is the drive.

Did you put a space before each forward slash ?

Sometimes the forum will allow you to copy and paste the cmd which is helpful when it is a long line, but you shouldn't have any problems with this one.

Have you tried different USB ports with either the USB sticks or the HDD ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 02:19:55 am »
Does AutoPlay come up when you insert an USB stick ?

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 04:13:04 pm »
I haven't had time to try again yet but I can tell you this that everything that has a USB connection causes Windows to make sound.  None of these devises makes Autoplay open up.  This includes portable HDD's both in a caddy or out,phone. tablet, or stick even thought I have  set to to either open to music,picture or notify & ask every time.  As I said it appears to be Windows problem as a quick search on Google reveals that heaps of people have the same unresolved problem.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 01:05:34 am »
I don't know if you have tried this from your Google searches but check the Shell Hardware Detection service is set to Automatic and Started.

In Win 7 you would go Start - type services.msc and press enter then scroll down to that service - it may be similar for Win 10.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 08:39:57 pm »
I still haven't been able to get the check disk function to work from the CMD line. I have also tried running PC with both the "Shell Hardware detection turned both on & off & this made no difference.

I have tried many various USB devices into PC & while they all get Windows to a make sound none triggers autoplay.

If anything tings seem to be getting stranger.  If I plug in a USB stick that has a file that I would like to see I get momentary flicker of black & orange before it displays.

As I said at the start this is a new clear reinstall done in a PC shop which has a good reputation but I'm starting to wonder if they did something wrong.   I have been reinstalling several programs that I own & maybe these can give clues as to what the problems are.  Programs like Ashampoo's Win Optomizer 12.  This can give quite a comprehensive list of everything on the PC I understand.

Or perhaps I should get the Windows event viewer looked at.  Even file associations are wrong.  For instance I have installed VLC player & told it be program for most media file types.  Yet if I click on a file that is MP4 it asks me what program to open it with & I select VCL from the suggested list, I get asked the same question eve If I go back & play a second video file.  Its as if File Association has amnesia. 

I have classic file installed could this be the problem?
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 12:37:30 am »
Perhaps you should consider resetting Win 10 - it has an option where it will just reinstall Win 10 and leave your personal stuff and then you can go to your computer support site and download all drivers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:25 am »
I between holiday commitments I have been trying what was suggested using the Windows 10 reset option.  This option is said to save all of my files while winding back all of by drivers & any changes since the original update was applied.  You have to reinstall of your software with this option.

Things are a little better but nowhere near I think they should be.  If I discount the possibility that my hardware is faulty then my prime suspect with the USB area  I can insert a stick & I might get asked what would I like to happen when say "E" gets plugged in & I say ask me every time.  I plug a second one in & I get asked again what I want to do with say "R" & I give it the same answer.  Now the strange thing is If I plug in "E" again, I get asked the same question  even though it should open automatically.  It hasn't saved my choice.

If I plug say a passport drive it sometimes says that the drive has errors & this I should let it scan & fix the errors.  But when the scan is finished it reports that there are no errors.

I think that perhaps Windows is getting really confused with the drive letters that I have assigned.  I'll keep trying.
Thanks in advance

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:09 am »
Perhaps you should let Windows assign the drive letters.

Since I removed and merged the Recovery partition on this laptop, my DVD player has become D: from E: - while my external HDDs remain at F: and a USB stick now comes in at G:

Plugging them into a different USB port if you have any spare, may get Windows to reassign them.

This laptop only has two and one of those is permanently taken up with a wireless mouse receiver.

My Epson printer has a card reader and Windows has always assigned that as Z:

I'd posted this link in another post which may help you reset things so that the INFCACHE.1 file is rebuilt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

It's for Win 7 so I don't know how you would feel about reverting to Win 7 with your system image to carry out this repair as I don't know if the steps would be the same in Win 10 - I haven't Googled yet to see if there's an equivalent for Win 10.

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »
I have seen the suggestion that perhaps I should let Windows assign drive letters & the link to a 4 year old site on how to check & remove drive letters already assigned.  I think that some of this procedure may have altered since the instructions.

I have however gone to device manager & found that under SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device followed by 2 mentions failed request.  Under that again are 13 entries for 'USB Mass Storage Device'.  To the left of the screen is a column which appears to be an icon for a lock & all of these appear as be grayed out..  Is this problem?  Should I just delete these grayed out items & see if Windows can actually fix something?

I have tried to attach a snip of the file but its not being attached.
Thanks in advance

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 09:01:32 pm »
Hi, Phototaker,
                 as per the advice of boggins, i also uninstalled all the faded drivers in the usb ports. You could click to see the properties, that there shows a wrong code in the general tab.
                    Just select one by one and uninstall all the faded drivers. It is not of any use remaining there. It will create duplicate driver problem for the actual hardware device to get the correct driver.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Phototaker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 05:37:21 pm »
As I was tuning the PC off Windows installed some more updates which may or may not altered things because when the machine had rebooted plugging things into USB had changed.   All of the grayed out items in 'device manager' now had the black lock icon.

A friend came over & he had some USB drives or sticks as well so we systematically went through them all to see what happened as we looked at the 'This PC' page.  Everything plugged in triggered the audio.  But what happened with the portable drives like the WD passports was different from what happened with the USB sticks.

All the external HDD's,except for the problem one mentioned above opened up with both correct drive letter & name.  For example my red drive came up as I had set it as 'R=Red drive'.

As for the sticks we had about 5 come up as 'E' drive yet the names were all over the place.  You might get 'E' drive labelled with the sticks brand name or 32GB USB3.

Most of these drives asked the question as to what to do when plugged in & we always said 'let me view files', but if I unplugged drive & reinserted it I got asked the same question because I think Windows had dementia.  Maybe I should just delete all of the external drives from device manager and start again.
Thanks in advance