Author Topic: IE11 doesn't show any pages  (Read 23503 times)

Offline mx1

• View Profile
IE11 doesn't show any pages
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:17:07 pm »
Hi,
I wanted to repair IE11 that was not opening any web pages so I decided to use Tweaking tool to repair it, it seemed as there were some problems while it was running and after restart I can not get IE11 to show any pages, other browsers work fine. IE doesn't show any error when it starts.
Any ideas what else I could do?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: IE11 doesn't show any pages
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:40:35 pm »
It could be because of a malicious add-on so see if resetting it to defaults resolves.

If you can't get to Internet options via the Tools cog then go into All Control Panel Items and click on Internet Options then under the Advanced tab hit the reset button.

I usually check all boxes and then have to reset my home page.

To save me from writing out again, see what else I do after resetting IE to defaults in Reply #9 of http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3890.0.html

Also back in Internet Options under the Connections tab, click on LAN settings and ensure only the top box for Auto detect settings is checked and not the one for Proxy server.

Should it be a malicious add-on then run AdwCleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Click on Scan and it may list some items in the lower pane that it considers PuPs but you can uncheck any you want to keep.

When it has completed the scan, click on Report and that will show if it has found anything it will delete when you close the report and click on Cleaning.

It will then open another report to show what it has deleted.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:10:30 am »
Thanks for the reply Boggin,
I did what you mentioned, no malicious are found and IE is still not working, I was wondering if these repair functions need to be run in Safe mode or not?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 04:14:02 am »
If you are talking about the Windows Repair program, then yes, it is advised to run it in Safe Mode with Networking.

You can also check to see if IE works in that mode.

If it does, then that could point to your AV program although I would have thought that would have blocked all browsers.

Just to confirm it isn't an add-on - go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

When that opens, click on the home page icon to see if you can browse.

If it works in that mode then restart IE - click on the Tools Cog - Manage add-ons - use the dropdown for All add-ons and manually disable all then restart IE and enable one back at a time - restart IE each time until the problem returns and that will be the buggy add-on.

If IE still isn't working then run these two free programs -

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/browser-cleanup

http://www.anvisoft.com/browser-repair-tool.html

With the latter, click on the IE icon in the left pane and then you will what it resets/repairs.

You will need to reset your home page with its default settings

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:21:32 am »
Hi again,

I ran the reapir functions in safe mode but IE is still not working even though during the reapir it showed that there were some registry missing, but at the end I couldn't see what type of registry there were missing. I even ran IE without add-on and reset its setting to default.
Those two softwares you mentioned didn't help either.

Other browsers work fine, I have Avast on my laptop and it is not giving any problems at all when using any browser.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:54:31 am »
Let's see what a sfc /scannow has to report.

Go Start - type cmd and right click on cmd then select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow

If it reports it is unable to repair some files then run SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

That will produce its own report of what it has found and is more concise than the CBS log that the sfc produces.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 10:02:07 am »
Hi,
I already ran SFC command and it didn't give any error

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »
Which version of Windows are you using ?

Time to try reinstalling IE 11.

For Win 7 first create a restore point by going Start - right click on Computer and select Properties then click on System Protection in the upper left pane.

When the buttons become active click on Create and type something like Pre IE Uninstall or whatever will identify it for you then OK.

It will tell you that it was successful then OK your way out of that and close the window.

Go Start - type installed updates and press enter then scroll down to the one for IE 11 - right click on it and select Uninstall.

This will take you back to the version you had before or to the default IE 8 and check if that works which I'm hoping it will.

You can either run a manual check for updates from Windows Update to see if it gives you one for IE 11 or direct download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

Should you have a later version of Windows, I'll wait until you come back.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 03:57:00 am »
I uninstalled IE11 and after restart it is now on version 8, but I still can't open any pages. I haven't yet installed version 11 as the problem still persist.
My laptop is running on Windows 7.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 04:10:57 am »
So it isn't just IE 11.

Scroll down to Method 4 in this article and use the Fixit button to re-register the IE files, although you could see if clearing the SSL state does anything for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/813444

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:59:17 am »
Try this also, if it solves ok. This is quick fix
Go to Internet Options>Advanced>check box Enable Enhanced Protected Mode
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:59 am »
The Fix-it didn't solve it, even cleared the SSL. wondering if its possible to reinstall all default DLL files in case some are missing that prohibits IE to work, I made a fresh install of win7 for about two months ago.

jraju, "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" is set to.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:32:02 am by mx1 »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:12:33 am »
How did you do it? please say
                                     Did your advanced menu already has this menu in security menu and you checked it?

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:14:32 am »
I found the solution  :smiley:
In IE main page that is supposed to show a page there was an option to control to internet connection and ater running it it shows that the windows forewall was blocking it, so I resetted the firewall settings to default and now it is running.

Thank you Boggin for all the help you provided.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 06:20:33 am »
Hi, Glad that your issue is resolved.
                      Would you please give the detail, where did you find that firewall was blocking the ie from loading pages in IE main page.
                              If the firewall was blocking , no other fix could have resolved the issue.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 06:36:46 am »
it is in the left side of this page
control panel->windows firewall->restore deafults

after that I started IE and it was running as it should

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 09:10:29 am »
Like JR, could you clarify how you found that Windows Firewall was blocking.

Earlier I was thinking along the lines that it could have been your AV program which would have been isolated in Safe Mode with Networking, but as Avast doesn't have its own firewall, discounted that.

However, I would have thought that Windows Firewall would have blocked all browsers - but glad you found the solution.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 09:37:20 am »
Boggin, every time I started IE it ended with showing an empty page and in the page was a link to diganose network connection (even though I had no problem with my network and could use other browsers), after I ran the diagnosis it mentioned that firewall was blocking, sounded weird as I haven't made any changes to firewall, so I went to the firewall section of control panel and there I saw a reset to default so I thought I give it a try, and that helped and since then IE is running.

I have now updated IE to version 10 but have difficulty installing version 11, I have tried to install it manually but it doesn't finish the whole installation. I'll wait and see hopefully windows self updates it to version 11.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 09:46:58 am »
Had you run the Diagnose Network Connection link before you came to the forum ?

Now that you know the cause you could restore back to when you had IE 11 and then restart Windows Firewall, but it may be best to wait for Windows Update.

I'm surprised you got an update to IE 10 as MS have pulled the direct download page I had for that as they were wanting to push IE 11.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 10:18:18 am »
I didn't try the diagnosis network connection before I came to this forum.
I received IE10 through windows update as well as some security package for IE 10.
Resrtoring is another issue I have too, it just suddenly stopped working after a fresh install for two months back.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 10:24:01 am »
An AV program can block a restore and the workaround to that is to boot up into Safe Mode and do it.

Offline mx1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 10:37:55 am »
So you mean booting in the safe mode, disabling AV and then do a restore?

Is it possible to let AV (I use Avast) not to interfere with restore points?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:59 pm »
No, it's a regular occurrence because AV programs don't like reverting as it puts them out of date with their Definitions.

I restored my other laptop back a few days and I've had a lot of problems getting Norton Security back up to date.

The Sonar Protection bit failed to update and unlike Norton 360 which used to give you an error code and a support page with what to do, Norton Security doesn't, although it does have a Diagnostic link which I may try first before the Norton Remove and Reinstall when I have another go at it later.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:18 pm »
Hi, Boggins ,
                            Normally firewall will not block IE from opening. I gave the clue of enhanced protection or enterprise edition, as it would block any hidden program from blocking the internet explorer.
                                 What is your opinion on enhanced protection mode given by microsoft. I heard that it protects computer on security issues
                                           This is how to get the enterprise mode.
                                                   Run>gpedit.msc>computer configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows components>internet explorer>Let users turn on and use enhanced mode from Tool menu. Default settings: not configured. Enable it by clicking the enable radio button, by double clicking the Let...user menu and click ok to save the settings. Now, your IE tool would have an added item of Enterprise edition, Just tick to have that mode.
                                                      If you want this to be disabled for particular sites, just do the reverse.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-highlights-benefits-enterprise-mode-internet-explorer-11

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 03:55:28 am »
gpedit is only available on Win Pro and above.