Author Topic: CHKDSK repeats error logs  (Read 14666 times)

Offline Purrington

• View Profile
CHKDSK repeats error logs
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:10:46 am »
For the last few days whenever I run CHKDSK for errors the results is that I do have multiple errors and so I run chkdsk at my next reboot.

The difficulty I am having is that after each reboot and running chkdsk, I continue to get error.

This occurs even if I go all through "Steps 1-5" and do the "repairs" as suggested.

So my question is if these are errors how do I repair them and if they are not really errors how would I determine this?

Here is copy of my last "Log" for your consideration.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)>CD /D C:\

C:\>set path=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

C:\>chkdsk C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume label is OS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
9 percent complete. (270029 of 300032 file records processed)     
300032 file records processed.                                         

File verification completed.
  486 large file records processed.                                   

0 bad file records processed.                                     

0 EA records processed.                                           

48 reparse records processed.                                     

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
20 percent complete. (317974 of 351016 index entries processed)   
Index entry 000429.log in index $I30 of file 87927 is incorrect.
Index entry 000430.ldb in index $I30 of file 87927 is incorrect.
20 percent complete. (318436 of 351016 index entries processed)   
Index entry Preferences in index $I30 of file 88690 is incorrect.
Index entry PREFER~1 in index $I30 of file 88690 is incorrect.
Index entry TransportSecurity in index $I30 of file 88690 is incorrect.
Index entry TRANSP~1 in index $I30 of file 88690 is incorrect.
20 percent complete. (324581 of 351016 index entries processed)   
351016 index entries processed.                                       

Index verification completed.

Errors found.  CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\>

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

~Purrington

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CHKDSK repeats error logs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:22:03 pm »
The message that it is giving you tells you what the problem is - you are running chkdsk in read-only mode and as such, will not carry out any repairs.

It also tells you that because it is in use, it could report errors when there aren't any.

While you don't need to specify c: - chkdsk /f will default repair c: but you can enter it as chkdsk c: /f

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:32:27 pm by Boggin »

Offline Purrington

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:03:58 pm »
So once we run a scan and the result says:

"Errors Found on the Drive. Check Disk is Needed"  what exactly are we to do in order to run a "Check Disk" properly so that it is not running in "Read Mode Only" and that the necessary repairs take effect.

Thank you in advance your both your assistance and patience with us novices.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:17:47 pm »
Open an elevated command prompt type in
Code: [Select]
chkdsk c: /f /r it will say volume in use would you like to run the next time your computer boots? type yes and hit enter reboot your computer let it run.
Julian

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »
Probably best to run it directly from the command prompt.

Go Start - or press the Windows key - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter chkdsk /f

You'll get a message that it cannot be run and prompted to type y and press enter for it to execute on the next reboot.

Type and enter y then enter shutdown /r /t 00 which will effect an immediate restart then just wait for it to do its thing.

It will give its report briefly on the screen, but if you miss it, after it restarts, go Start - type eventvwr and press enter.

When Event Viewer has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on the name Application then on Action in the menu bar and then on Find.

In the Find box type chkdsk or wininit and press enter.

Cancel the Find box to read the full report in the scrollable window.

I see Julian has given you the first bit while I was typing :) - however, just use the /f switch for now and note if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

Offline Purrington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:48:22 pm »
After following the instructions above I found the Log Results which reads:

- EventData

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 300032 file records processed. File verification completed. 509 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 48 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 351040 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 300032 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 15 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 15 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 15 unused security descriptors.

Security descriptor verification completed. 25505 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 33721040 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 300016 files processed.

File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 100300283 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 472922135 KB total disk space.

71237516 KB in 106898 files. 66828 KB in 25506 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 416659 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 401201132 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 118230533 total allocation units on disk. 100300283 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 94 04 00 3f 05 02 00 ba b5 03 00 00 00 00 00 ....?........... 1b 01 00 00 30 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....0........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts. 

If I am reading this report correctly there appear to be no errors.

Sadly, as has been the case for several days, after getting this result and running the Tweaking Tool yet again it shows there are errors on the disk? [See image attached]

Why is this? 

Thank you

Offline Purrington

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:52:08 pm »
I can see that the original thread has been moved and that there has been no response to my last comment for a few days.

Is this thread now dead?

Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 12:30:36 am »
I think the best advice has already been given for this which is to run it with a /f switch from the command prompt as part of the preparation prior to running the repair program.

Shane has recently updated to 3.7.2 which still includes the read-only mode, but I'll email him again to see if given that the read-only mode can produce false errors - it has done me - whether there is any value in it as it can be confusing.

Offline Purrington

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 01:08:10 am »
If you would kindly look at my post of December 13, 2015 you will see that I adhered to the advice previously given and that I posted the log results of the scan and evidence that despite this the same problem remains.

Thank you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 01:22:12 am »
In the program underneath the first chkdsk button there is one that will set the computer up to run a chkdsk /f at the next reboot, but if you click on the more info, that will take you to a thread which explains why the read-only mode can report false errors.

I agree, without reading that explanation it can be confusing when one thing is saying you have errors when another says you don't, but the one to believe is when chkdsk with one of the switches is run at a restart so that none of the files are in use.

makinero

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 01:02:27 am »
The NTFS file system - is resistant to damage ...
but you want or do not want - can sometimes spoil.
It is not the fault of the hard drive and only file system that is not perfect.
Frequently can occur when working on the computer, you turn it off safely.
I eg. Start the morning ... could it be these errors arise after the completion of the work on your computer ...
Eg. Some activities are performed in the background (typical for various applications) (and suddenly you are trying to shut down your computer - and Windows quits, but perhaps not in the correct way)
Everyone will say: It's the fault drive, you have a damaged HDD, check the SMART and many other things that have nothing to do with it, the probability is high that the drive is 100% healthy ... and only the fault of the file system ...

Julian - It makes no sense to use the chkdsk /r or chkdsk /f /r
/r super-a long time scans large disks with large amount of files
Use the /r when bad sectors, clusters, etc.!
If a typical errors - always use the /v(if you want to quickly check and analyze disk) or /v /f(If you want to correct minor errors[unused descriptors]Index $SII
Index $SDH
. .  or repair bitmap volumes[to make corrections to the file system])$I30(directory) ... $O(file)

CHKDSK

Options test:

[x][ ]Standard
[x][ ]Thorough (scanning the surface of the test)
[x][ ]Check whether corrupt
-------------------------------------
[x][ ] Error Correction
[x][ ] Extended

[x] Enable
[ ] Disable
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:32:33 am by makinero »

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:45 pm »
Meh I think it makes perfect sense I want to see a full layout of what chkdsk is reporting at the boot time since I'm not physically at the computer. Yes it takes a little longer but it repairs parts of the file system  So they don't have to run chkdsk 3 times just to fix it. And I want to see if Windows is reporting anything in bad sectors because if Windows detects it then the hard drive is pretty much dying because Windows is not great at detecting hard drive failure. And when it does it's pretty close to being imminent. And yes you are correct that there are a lot of people that blame hdd as failing when it reality it's a faulty filesystem that needs reparing.  Hence why I say to do the chkdsk /f /r everything gets checked even free space.
Julian

makinero

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »
In Windows7, file check takes a very long time, for comparison, Windows 2012 fast scan ... eg. For 100 or 200 or 300 million files

Windows Server 2012

•Improved self-healing: NTFS instantaneously self-heals more issues online without requiring chkdsk to run offline. This reduces the number of times that chkdsk is required to run.

•Online analysis: In the previous model, almost all of the offline time required to run chkdsk was spent scanning and analyzing the drive. In Windows Server 2012, the analysis phase of chkdsk, which was responsible for the majority of the offline time, becomes an online, background task. This allows the volume to remain online and available while the system determines whether there is corruption. There is also added logic in the model that verifies the type of corruption is not transient, preventing unnecessary analysis.

•Corruption correction: When the scan is completed, Windows Server 2012 informs the administrator (by using events and the management consoles), that the volumes need to be repaired and suggests a solution, such as performing a remount or reboot. Because the analysis phase has already completed, no additional scanning or detection is required. Chkdsk directly fixes the identified corruption, and the offline time is minimized to seconds. Therefore, the offline time for a volume is no longer proportional to the number of files on the volume, but rather to the number of corruptions on the volume.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:13:15 pm by makinero »