Author Topic: Questions following Repair download  (Read 6649 times)

Offline clayto

• View Profile
Questions following Repair download
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:36:23 am »
I have just downloaded Repair, so that it will be available if / when I need to use it. Having read the advice I have a few questions.

I presume it is not relevant to the major issue some of us are having with the Windows 10 (mainly) Microsoft Store apps failing to work.  I have posted on the sticky about this.

I am not able to get into Safe Safe Mode with Network. I have tried several times. I could not do this before I upgraded from Windows 8.1 either.

Regarding advice to remove the battery. I have a 2-in-1 Tablet. I believe removing the battery from these is not a practical proposition for non-techies.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:40:58 am by clayto »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions following Repair download
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:32:18 am »
If you've downloaded the free version of WR then you will need to check if it has been updated - Shane is currently working on v3.7.3 and hopes to release that soon.

What exactly is happening when you try to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and how are you trying to do it ?

If you read far enough down in this article, you will see methods in how to boot up into that mode and re-enabling the F8 function would be a handy option as a fall back.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-restart-windows-10-and-whatever-happened-to-safe-mode-11364000631724

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I still cannot cannot get into Safe Mode with Networking or get F8 to launch Safe Mode (I have entered the Command Prompt Admin).

1. Networking. I select 'Safe Mode with Networking' ---- as  soon as the network icon appears it shows there is no connection, followed by a notification that there is no connection. If I then try to connect or if I try to diagnose the connection it says this cannot be done while in Safe Mode and I must reboot. This was the same when the OS was W8.1. I have never been able to launch SafeMode with Network, something of a handicap.

2. Using F8.  In the article for which you provide a link there are important basic steps omitted, not helpful for a newbie or in my case someone who has forgotten the procedures years ago ---- such as at what point do you press F8, immediately after entering the password? presumably you use both the Fn and F8 keys together? (I have tried it with and without) do you hold the key(s) constantly until in SafeMode or, as I seem to remember, keep tapping the F8 key? Either way it does not work.

The procedure takes so long one is inclined to think it is failing and stop the action before it takes effect.

Clarification will be greatly appreciated! In the meantime I will keep trying.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:02:03 am »
I didn't stay long in Win 10 and have never had Win 8/8.1 but if you have executed the bcdedit cmd to restore the F8 function, then you should tap it as you switch on.

Wireless works okay in Safe Mode with Networking in my Win 7 but may not do so in Win 10 and MS generally advise to connect with an Ethernet cable where that is the case.

Offline clayto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 10:18:25 am »
Thanks, that was helpful. After a few failed attempts I got F8 working --- it seems my original Command Prompt had not registered for some reason.

Having a way to get into SafeMode from before[/b boot must be essential in some circumstances. There is a way to get SafeMode with Network as I have done it once, following phone instructions, but I do not remember the procedure --- I will have to search for it.

Offline Julian

• "Professional Googler"
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:34:39 pm »
when using windows 8 or 10 and i need to get into safe mode just one time i use this command it only works for 8 and above
Code: [Select]
bcdedit /set {current} onetimeadvancedoptions on
Julian