Author Topic: Computer not booting confirmed working USB  (Read 28186 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Computer not booting confirmed working USB
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:48 am »
Yes, apparently it boots up fine on other machines.

It's just that when it's plugged in within Windows on this machine, AutoPlay isn't coming up to read the files on it, so it isn't being recognised at all and that is what we are trying to fix - without any success to date, but I'm waiting for feed back as to whether that MS Fixit will do anything.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 06:16:15 am »
hi, Taco
             It seems that your bios system supports flash drive boot. Did you get past POST , then you get the command promt blinking and sound of the system, denotes that it is having problem in POST stage. Did you check the Ram. Defective Ram also cause this problem if it is defective, or unerased memory in it. Just try this. . Remove the Rams , and clean them with soft  cloth and place them  again. Check. if it ok, then boot . If not , remove the battery cmos and clean it and then put in the place. Try this.
                       There is another way, just remove the battery , short circuit, the two nodes, by making contact the battery base with the side holders of battery, thereby erasing electronic memory from residue, if any. Place the battery and try to boot.
                       Please remove the plug from socket before attempting this.
                       Normally your failure to get past POST stage, is caused by RAM. If one of the Ram is defective and the other is working, this may result in failure of boot. Try to remove the extra ram if any, leaving the least memory required to test. Failure of RAM is the major cause of the computer not to boot up,
                           Did you check the uSB whether it is bootable
I'm sorry, but if I need to this to fix it, I'd rather leave it unable to boot a usb than unable to boot  :shocked:
Anyway Boggin, the device is listed by name, and I will run the microsoft fixit asap. And jraju, should I disable quiet boot for you? It says something about POST tests in it's description :p
I'll keep you guys POSTed!

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 07:16:14 am »
Hi, Taco
                 use the ms fixit . Quite boot is otherwise called silent boot. If you disable, then all the POST messges, including your mother board symbol would show. That is all there is to it.

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 07:34:18 am »
The ms fixit did not fix my problem.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 07:51:25 am »
Getting nowhere fast on this one  :confused:

Do you have any other USB sticks with something on to see if it will read those ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 08:02:20 am »
Hi,
           Please confirm how did you enable boot in bios menu. What is the menu you selected. If it is supported in bios, then there is nothing wrong if it is booted from the pen drive. It should work.
One last suggestion. Pl download plbt.iso. Download the iso to a disc, cd, by burning the iso file using imgburn.
                   Then you select the boot priority to cd dvd . Then it will auto boot from cd and will give options in your screen the boot choices. You select Pen drive , move the cursor down and then enter in Pendrive option.from it. It should work. Otherwise pl report.
I am enclosing this iso here. Please download and then try to burn it using nero or imgburn. Then report back
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:03:57 am by jraju »

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 08:11:29 am »
Boggin: I have another USB stick that will not boot on any computer that I've tried! :confused: I'm planning to get a better USB soon, this one is only 1 gig and it's ancient (could that be an issue?). Could it be faulty ram? How could I find out?
Jraju: When I try to boot from usb, I click f12 during startup to activate boot menu, and boot from my usb in the resulting menu. If I change boot order in the bios settings, it produces the same result. I have successfully booted another usb once, which makes me think that either something broke recently, or that Jethro was right and I should use another tool. I will follow your instructions first though.

P.S Thank you both for your help so far :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 08:14:50 am »
What is the ISO that is on that stick - Win 7 needs a 4GB stick.

Regardless of what you have on it though, it should still be able to read it in Windows.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 08:15:19 am »
Hi, did you try the iso  i attached . Burn on cd, using your burn tool. Imgburn is free tool you could use. Just boot from cd. Plugging the pen drive containing the OS. It will show the boot options. Select Pen drive and then enter to confirm from pendrive. That should be booting for you for sure.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 08:16:58 am »
Hi, Boggin, you are correct, 1 gb is not enough. How did he make the usb tool is not clear. It should be atleast 4 gb How then it was working on other computers.? strange

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 08:27:39 am »
The plop boor manager failed, but at least this time it failed spectacularly! As for the 4 gb thing, what? It worked fine on two other computers, a win xp desktop and win 7 laptop. And if it helps any, I am trying to use Hiren's boot cd (usb?), and I followed the instructions at http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 08:29:36 am »
What ISO is on the stick ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 08:32:39 am »
Hi, Taco,
                   The win 7 iso is having size of near 4 gb. HIren boot cd  may be helping it to boot from pen drive. But what the pendrive contain? Is the OS, that could be compressed to 1 gb. I do not think so. You should have 4 gb pendrive and it should be formatted before copying win files.
                            I do not understand, how hiren cd would contain the OS.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 08:37:46 am »
Hi, Taco,
                   The win 7 iso is having size of near 4 gb. HIren boot cd  may be helping it to boot from pen drive. But what the pendrive contain? Is the OS, that could be compressed to 1 gb. I do not think so. You should have 4 gb pendrive and it should be formatted before copying win files.
                            I do not understand, how hiren cd would contain the OS.
No, it is not any OS, it is the utility Hiren's Boot Cd. I'm not trying to install windows. Sorry if I made it sound that way :p The ISO on the flash drive is Hiren's.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 08:43:17 am »
Hi, Then what is the necessity to use it any way? Your thread starts as if you are having problem in installation of windows OS.
                     That what are you trying to run thro hiren boot cd or dvd usb. the thread owner should  explain the things perfectly so that the solution is given correctly. May i know for what purpose, you are uisng hiren boot usb. Did you go thro, what it would do, if you attempt that in running windows.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 08:50:16 am »
I sincerely apologize for any misconception that occurred, I was completely unaware of it. Hiren's boot cd is a useful rescue disk that can help fix your computer if you get a virus and are unable to boot, and I figured it would be a useful tool to have because I like things like that. And again, I apologize for any misunderstandings. 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:00 am »
It would have been helpful if we had known what the bootable stick was for as we assumed it was an OS boot USB, but it should still have been able to read it in Windows - I'd reformat the stick to FAT32 and recreate it.

NTFS is better for Windows but some media players can have problems with it, so FAT32 which is the default format for USB sticks may be better.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2015, 08:58:33 am »
Hi, if you run those things on running windows, it will spoil the whole thing. These are to be tried only on emergency purposes. If you run on open windows, then it will kill the boot process and the machine would fail to boot.
                          The tools should be handled carefully. For that purpose, there are available rescue disk option in free av programs like avast, panda etc.

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2015, 09:07:49 am »
Boggin: I've already done all of that 0_o, should I try recreating it with a different program like Jethro suggested?
jraju: Don't worry :cheesy: I'll use it correctly!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2015, 09:14:44 am »
Well, you've got nothing to lose as it's at a dead end at the moment - which tool did you use to create it or does Hiren have its own burner ?

Offline Tacotardis42

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:20 am »
I followed the instructions above, which calls for copying the files from the iso manually into the usb and using grub4dos for the bootloader, but now I'm trying a different way using unnetbootin. I hope this works.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:40 am »
Your previous method seemed to work okay on other machines so not sure why it shouldn't on this one, but.....

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 10:07:41 pm »
Hi, instead you could use avast or panda av and use rescue disk. It will save you from all sorts of trouble.