Author Topic: Problem with Network Adapter or Access Point (Started by Paul)  (Read 8631 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Problem with Network Adapter or Access Point (Started by Paul)
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:27:48 am »
Hi Paul - I've opened a new thread for you in Computer Help as all help is given in the open forum rather than PM.

Problem

This problem did not exist before installing Windows 10.  I installed windows 10 on 4 computers.  These were fresh installs.  Deleting all previous programs.  On startup the computers fail to access the Internet.  Windows Network Diagnostics says I have a "problem with network adapter or access point".  For the first few months Network Diagnostics reset the network adapter.  This was inconvenient but I could access the Internet.  I installed Driver Booster and Driver Dr. Programs.  This was by suggestion from other forums.   Now on my newest, fastest, most critical work computer (Asus), I get "problem with network adapter or access point"  "not fixed".  I installed and ran Tweaking.com’s Windows Repair Free, twice.  Then, I installed Advanced SystemCare9.  It found 10,338 problems including 48 network problems.  After running that program I still have no Internet access and it takes over 10 minutes to start up and shutdown the Asus computer.  The log file from Windows Repair for the network is as follows:

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

Ok.

There's no user specified settings to be reset.

The following command was not found: int 6to4 reset all.

The following command was not found: int isatap reset all.

Reset of all TCP parameters FAILED: Unable to set global on ipv4.
The system cannot find the file specified.

The following command was not found: int teredo reset all.

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

Windows IP Configuration

Registration of DNS records failed: The binding handle is invalid.

Ok.

The following command was not found: int 6to4 reset all.

The following command was not found: int isatap reset all.

Reset of all TCP parameters FAILED: Unable to set global on ipv4.
The system cannot find the file specified.

The following command was not found: int teredo reset all.

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

Windows IP Configuration

Registration of DNS records failed: The binding handle is invalid.

I hope I can find a solution to this problem.  I need to get back to work. 
Thank you very much for your help.

Report To Admin

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Network Adapter or Access Point (Started by Paul)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:42:45 am »
As this relates to more than one computer - notwithstanding Win 10, I would look to your router and have your ISP do a line check.

Are you using a modem/router combo or separate modem and router.

If you are using a separate modem and router then Ethernet connect one machine to the modem to see if you get the same problem.

If you are using a combo and it is getting on a bit, there may be a firmware update for it.

Factory resetting it could also help.

Can you borrow another router to eliminate Win 10 as some have had connectivity problems with Win 10 but I wouldn't have expected it to have affected all four machines, providing you have or Windows has updated your drivers.

Other things to check - go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and check for any yellow alerts.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:49:09 am by Boggin »

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:56 pm »
Thank you for the feedback.  The problems are not consistent.  I often get the message “one or more network protocols are missing on this computer”.  I got this message today on my 10 year old Canadian Toshiba.  Running the troubleshooter repaired the problem.  At the same time, on a small no-name computer I got the same message.  I restart the computer and ran the troubleshooter seven times without success.  Yesterday the small no-name computer worked fine.  (I call this computer LB)  All I did with that computer was check the weather and listen to streaming music.  There were no changes made to the computer.  I checked the DNS settings and they were the same as before.  As directed by ExpressVPN customer support. (156.154.70.1 and 156.154.71.1).  Still no Internet.
BTW: the other computers were purchased in China where I am temporarily staying.  I’m able to communicate with you through ExpressVPN. 
Back to the 5 year old Asus computer (Notebook X42JZ):  I checked for yellow alerts in the Device Manager.  There were none.  The ISP said there are problems with the Internet today, but I've had these problems for weeks.  I don’t think they will send someone to check out the modem /router combo.  Windows Network Diagnostics says to restart a router.  After that is done, I get “Problem with wires adapter or access point” “Detected”.  Now it is recognizing router’s name and it says “No Internet, Secured”.  Even though this computer (Toshiba) is connected to the Internet.  Just now, I decided to check the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv 4).  The preferred DNS server was changed to 10.11.0.1 and the alternate DNS server was blank.  This has happened several times before on each of the computers.  Once changed, it doesn't lock in.  I changed it again to “Obtain DNS server address automatically”.  I now have access to the Internet, but I know this is temporary.  Yesterday I tried restoring Asus to a previous restore point.  The restore points didn’t work.

I have to run the troubleshooter’s daily, upon startup, to access the Internet.  This did not happen before I loaded Windows 10.  I would like to find a solution to have them start normally instead of having to “reset the network adapter” using the troubleshooter, or change the DNS settings daily.  I did a clean install of Windows 10 hoping to speed up my computers because Windows hadn’t been reloaded for a long time.  I was happy with the performance for a few weeks.  It seems that installing the driver update software caused more problems than it solved.  I’ve been using a Revo Uninstaller or to uninstall programs and cleanup leftover files.
Thanks again. 
Paul.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 02:14:36 am »
You could try setting the TCP/IPv4 DNS servers to either Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 to see if that makes any difference, although for the ExpressVPN, they may need to be specific as advised for that connection - I've never used a VPN.

Usually when you have TCP/IPv4 set to Auto DNS you wouldn't normally see any DNS settings in the boxes as the computer will be using whatever the ISP is using via the router.

Leaving it at auto DNS, you can check the DNS settings and the preferred IPV4 address by opening a command prompt and entering ipconfig /all

Windows has been auto installing drivers which can cause problems and while I no longer have Win 10, I believe there is a setting to opt out of driver downloads.

Using a driver updater program may not be the best solution to updating drivers and going to the driver vendor site is usually the better option.

Make a note of your wireless adapter in Device Manager/Network adapters then go to the vendor's site and download and Save the updated Win 10 one.

Create a restore point then go into Device Manager, expand Network adapters - right click on the Wireless one and select Uninstall - checking the box to include software.

Go to your Downloads folder and open up the downloaded driver until you find the Application/.exe to click on.

This will give you a fresh install as to just uninstalling it without checking the include software box where it would just replace the driver from the store after the reboot.

When you get the message that some protocols are missing or are unable to connect, can you check Event Viewer to see what that has recorded - you can go by the time stamps of the errors to nail down what may be applicable.

Before running the trouble shooter when you get this or when you are unable to connect, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Useful elevated commands to help with connectivity problems are - and you would enter these as they are -

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew - with this one you will get an error that it is unable to renew the Ethernet if it isn't connected, which can be ignored.

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Then reboot.

As fall back until you get this resolved, I think it would be best if you could revert your workhorse machine back to the previous OS.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:59:43 am »
Hello Boggin.
Sorry for the late reply.  The ISP tech finally arrived and since then my connection problems are better, although not perfect.
Thanks for the help.
Paul

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:11:09 am »
Did you notice what he did ?