Author Topic: New windows 7 install will not update (multiple computers)  (Read 15158 times)

Offline rizo

• View Profile
New windows 7 install will not update (multiple computers)
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:50:04 am »
Good evening guys.
This really has nothing to do with the amazing windows repair tool. After all else fails I come here and ask in desperation.
I am in the military, and help out my battle buddies by fixing the PCs to save them money.
lately I have tried clean installs for a couple PCs to clean them up with windows 7 to try to upgrade to 10.

Though recently when I install windows 7 I can not get updates to work (currently working on 3 computers doing the dame), which before upgrade to windows 10 you need the updates.
When i run updates it just sits searching for updates.
I have:
Made sure time and date are correct.
Made sure windows updates service is running.
Manually downloaded windows update program.
Ran windows repair wizard.
Set sleep mode off.
Turned off Windows update, Reboot, Turned on, Reboot, attempted.
Attempted to just upgrade to windows 10.

I will attempt any suggestions.
I usually try to figure things out myself.... but i just started college and have spent even less time with my family lately so I am hoping someone can help me fix this so i can catch up on other things.

V/R
Rizo

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New windows 7 install will not update (multiple computers)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:07:25 am »
For some reason of late, Win 7 has been taking an unduly long time to search for updates.

Quite often you just have to sit back and let it get on with it.

On another forum one guy had to wait 2hrs before it found them and then it took ages for the download to start.

If anything else is amiss, Event Viewer may have something recorded for the time stamp, but for the same problem to occur on three machines it will probably be a waiting game.

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:10:53 am »
Thanks for the quick response,

I have had one sit for over 36 hours.
another one i reformatted it again, just to troubleshoot.
the other one i tried downloading a whole bunch of tools that i found through forums.
last year it was getting harder to pull the downloads and found that some tools would work here and there.... but not consistent when trying them on future issues.

now it seems like nothing works.
I am at work now but will try to the repair tool.
and found two other options.
i will post an update after i try all new ideas.
any more suggestions would be appreciated.

V/R
Rizo

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:20:27 am »
It may just be down to busy MS servers as more and more take up the offer of Win 10 - which I think would be wiser to defer until July when hopefully MS will have transitioned it from a Beta.

What are the other two options you have found ?

I think as long as the check for updates is showing as working and isn't frozen, then Windows will be doing its thing and the problem will be at MS's end - but there won't be any harm in running the WR Pre-Scan and then the repairs if required.

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 08:05:35 am »
So i can home to one of them working....
... and acquired another computer to work on ....
so 1 of the 4 are updating....

i followed the instructions on this page
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,3867.0.html
as of now nothing....
and i ran the whole repair.

why is receiving updates  feel like winning a damn lottery.

V/R
Rizo

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 08:22:38 am »
I went back to a thread on the Windows Secrets Lounge forum and one poster had to wait 3 weeks for the Check for updates to find anything.

Clearing the updates cache worked for some on a Google but the WR Windows Updates repair does that for you.

Have you run the SURT or the MS Fixit to reset update components on the other machines ?

SURT is a hefty download so that may take some time depending upon your bandwidth.

You can find its log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then double click on the Checksur one.

Scroll down the page for the applicable version - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/947821

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058

May be worth running the reset fixit first.

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 10:12:34 am »
I have done both of these before to no avail.
but not on the specific one i am testing everything on.
so i will try it again.

is the SURT just like the newest updated packaged update tool with updates?
i tried one of those and it took like 4 hours and then wanted to do more updates and then froze again .... but this was days ago... ill try the SURT and give updates.... unless microsoft allows me to actually have a life and fixes its own shit.

....I also had a weird idea thinking that maybe every computer had to have a different name on the network, made sense in my mind.... that was a no go.

ill keep you updated thanks for the help and quick response any other ideas.... ill try them all lol

V/R
Rizo

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:28 am »
I had four test computers.... one of them is overheating soo that is out of the race till i have time to fix that...

so A, B, and C

A= finishing updates after 2 days, about to push it to win 10

tried to upgrade after update, 48 of the updates failed.... still tried.... at no surprise error: there was a problem running this tool, were not sure what happened but we're unable to run this tool on your PC, if you continue experiencing problems refer the error code when contacting customer support. error code 0x80070017-0x90002

B=changed name, manually changed time and location settings, windows repair tool, .cat files, switching back and forth auto updates, restarting windows update services= no windows updates/ trying to push to windows 10, downloading through media installer.

UPDATE: I did not believe the push to windows 10 would work.... erorror:an unknow command-line option [/dynamicupade]was specified.

C= noticed something odd with this one, i always notice wrong time ( i live on a NATO base in Italy...FML) so i set my timezone and used the windows auto synch time and it still gave me wrong time, it is 8:16pm here though after auto synch it stated 4:11am .... so i am going to attempt trying with wrong time to see if it is a weird server synch problem.

UPDATE: after an hour in it just came up with an error tried restarting and it kept on popping up, I set the time manually...

V/R
Rizo
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:25:44 pm by rizo »

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 12:03:34 pm »
thought i would add this....

every computer has the same OS image on them....
computer

B: when checking for updates the bar that goes from left to right is moving red.

C: is green....

only difference between the two other than model of laptop is.

B:wireless internet

C: lan
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:08:32 pm by rizo »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:35:22 pm »
MS does advise using LAN although I should think quite a few including myself haven't had any real problems on Wireless.

Sometimes changing the DNS servers in the (TCP/IPv4) Properties of whichever adapter you are using can help.

Usually Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 instead of the ISP's usually do the job.

I must admit, I've never heard of anyone having a red progress bar before.

Event Viewer may have something on that machine for that or, Reliability history.

Do you have the clocks set to use Internet Time ?

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:02:32 am »
So they are all updating now.
all started at 7:40-7:43 Am
funny since i had another computer the day prior start at 7:40 Am

Yes all clocks were set to auto pull from the time server.
i tried WSUS offline updater and made a USB auto updater, though the computer i tested it on still wanted me to download 208 more updates..... only 33 less than normal.

it would be great to just download the extra updates when i need them and add them to a collection and then move them to the computer needing updates so i do not have to wait 3-4 days each time i need to update a computer. 

as of now it looks like i have a small window to start the downloads each day... and if for some reason they do not start i have to wait for that tiny window the next day. I have read many other people are having this issue. if i come up with a solution that is not based on .... just waiting and hoping.... then i will update.

V/R
Rizo

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:09:51 am »
Don't suppose you tried getting down on your knees :D

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:52 am »
I'm a soldier.... we don't do that...

These PCs are lucky that each don't receive a 5.56 round in em...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:04 am »
When I was in the British Army it was 7.62mm - and whiskey swilling Padres :)

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 09:34:37 am »
MMMMmmmm whiskey.

I was sooo jealous my first deployment in Iraq. either you guys or the Aussies always had a whole connex of booze.....
we were allowed to have two beers during the super bowl..... fastest Guinness i ever drank... 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 09:55:46 am »
Modern conflicts are well out of my time - I came out in '75

I did a 4 month tour in N. Ireland which was pretty uneventful and we were billeted in a quiet area.

I was a REME vehicle mechanic so didn't get up front, although I went out on a vehicle patrol with the Royal Green Jackets and later was involved in a major Vehicle Checkpoint.

Another time, being attached to a Royal Engineers squadron, was choppered out to an area to blow up some border crossings - not sure if my boss was trying to get rid of me :)

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 10:37:27 am »
I have been deployed twice.... Iraq and Afghanistan...Iraq sucked, we were bombed at least 3-4 times a day.
Once i found out i was going to Aghanistan everyone made up horror stories about how it was worse than Iraq..... but for me it was not... we were bombed twice... all of us stood around like we were confused lol.... then the we heard the English jets brrrrrrrrup... I love that sound lol.

In Iraq i did help out the royal army... i was told they were the equivalent of our special forces..... these guys were huge like they were bred to be special forces..... I received a coin from them for helping... lol its funny they were called the bad pussies and the coin is an image of a bad ass looking kitty.

so i keep on getting this error stating not enough memory on two of the three computers i am working on now.... all they are doing is updating... they both have 2 gigs of ram and 2.2 ghz dual cores.....

pushing one to windows 10 ..... fingers crossed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 02:28:06 pm »
As well as reading through this article, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preventing-low-memory-problems#1TC=windows-7 perform a clean boot.

That is when you go Start - type msconfig and press enter then under the Startup tab hit the Disable all button - Apply - OK.

After the reboot go back into msconfig and ensure if the AV program is one of those start up items that it is running, or you can re-check its box after hitting the Disable all button but before you hit Apply etc.

Paid for AV programs will auto reinstate themselves as soon as you hit the Apply button but some of the freebies don't.

Unnecessary programs in Start up will be unnecessarily be taking up memory - I only have one in mine and that is for my printer.

A defragged HDD will also aid Virtual Memory so that is something else worth checking and then see if you still get the insufficient error message.

Before you defrag/analyse the HDD, go Start - type %temp% and press enter, if that is highly populated then click on Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - confirm - check the box then click on Skip and close the window.

The Recycle Bin will need emptying then.

It's surprising how many people don't maintain their computers.

Win 7 has it's own tools as well in Control Panel - System and Security/Find and fix problems to use the maintenance and performance tools.

If the HDDs are getting low on space then you can free up some - poss. up to 3GB by going Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and Run as administrator.

This will scan for obsolete Windows Updates and add those to the other default items which is normally sufficient.

If the HDDs are really short on free space and the owners don't use Hibernate, you can turn that off in an elevated cmd prompt with the cmd powercfg -h off and that will free up about 6GB.

A defrag after that may also be warranted.

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 09:29:58 am »
I will try this after i catch up on my college work....

as of now they are all updated (the three i am currently working on as of now)
though when i try to upgrade to windows 10 i get something went wrong.... or unknown command line errors....
WTH Microsoft?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:24 am »
Event Viewer may have something on that but are you trying to upgrade through Windows Updates ?

Clicking on the Upgrade now button in https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade may prove more successful.

I assume you resolved the insufficient memory error ?

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:52 am »
I am attempting through the windows 10 media tool, i just created a usb loader hoping that ......idk really ...maybe that has a better chance of working for no reason at all lol

honestly i have been balancing work, family, college work, and these computers..... so i am attempting zero effort tactics until i am at least 4 days ahead of my assignments so i can spare some time....... i would really love to pour a glass of whiskey and play drums.... but at this rate........

when i do catch up i will try all of your suggestions and update.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:53 pm »
I install more windows 7 machines then I do 10 by a far amount.

I made a new Windows 7 setup disk with all the updates up to last month already on it and included drivers for USB support for intel and a few others into the setup on it as well. I had a stubborn laptop with USB3 that wouldnt work, new setup cd I made did the trick.

I can hook you up with the tools I used to make it, but since the setup cd is set to do it for home, home pre, pro and ultimate it took about 2 to 3 hours to compile each. I then also have a lot of drivers on it as well to help save time.

The image compressed is about 5 GB and so I put it on a usb drive and install it from there. Then if I want to do the Windows 10 upgrade for free I use the usb stick I have with the latest ISO they use and just run it right from the USB stick instead of downloading it, it updates like it should. i also make sure to let the Windows 10 setup download the updates for the install.

Feel free to email me and I can hook you up with the tools to make a more up to date windows 7 install, or I could try to hook you up with my custom image but not sure where the crap I would store a 5gb file privately lol

Shane

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 05:31:21 am »
Good evening

Sorry for not responding earlier, Son had his 2nd birthday, working on med board paperwork, trying to stay ahead of college assignments...etc

I really appreciate the response, and would love both your personal ISO and the tools to build my own.
I have found that I only have a 40 minute window in the morning to start updates, if not I can not get windows update to work any other time through out the day. I live in Italy and the internet here is horrendous.

I have pushed two of the three to windows 10 using USB. and then used the tweak tool to see if I can speed them up.
out of about  30 computers I have updated to 10 these are the only slow ones which is weird all of them have over 2.0 ghz and 2 gb ram so I am confused. they are just sluggish and take a couple seconds to respond to any actions. I am thinking of reverting back to 7 xdark 4.2.

I am at work now in which google drive is restricted, as soon as I get home I will share a folder so you can upload to it, unless you have an easier way of sharing.

V/R
Rizo

Offline rizo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 07:52:28 am »
ok i freed up and sent you an email with a drive space of 6 gbs let me know if you need more.
I really appreciate it! Thanks!

V/R
Rizo

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 08:31:29 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. I get so busy with my computer repair business, the websites, forums, customers calling me and then my wife and 5 kids that it has come really hard for me to get to the forums everyday.

It would be a lot better for you to email me directly on this one. I did get your email for the google drive space, of course when I got it I didnt know who it was from since I dont know your email by heart so i deleted the email lol

The problem with google drive is it is a 5.96 GB file and if the connection breaks I need to be able to resume where I left off, normally I use FTP for this.

Shoot me an email and we will fig something out :-)

Shane