Author Topic: Backup Failure - Error Code 0x8000FFFF (Started by Bernard)  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Backup Failure - Error Code 0x8000FFFF (Started by Bernard)
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:23:35 am »
I am 84 years of age.
I rely on my computer to function properly because of my age, inexperience, and the fact that I do not understand them too well.
I am experiencing difficulty with ERROR Code Ox8000FFFF - in that it will no longer allow me to Backup Automatically.
My last automatic backup was back in September 2015.  The Manual backup is unaffected, so I have been using this, but it is not as convenient as being able to Schedule a backup.   I tried to attach 'Screen shots' with this, without success. 
No matter !  The process I have been following is:-  Schedule a Backup to take place on Sunday at 1300hrs. Monthly.   Attach an external HDD to a spare USB drive and wait for it to complete satisfactorily at the appointed time.  Back in September 2015 the Backup failed, so I tried again by Clicking Control Panel – choosing ‘Back up your computer’ and then ‘Back up files’.   After a while a Box appears in the bottom RH corner which states ‘The last Backup Failed- click here for Details’ which I do.   Another Box appears showing BACKUP STATUS and informing me that ‘The last Backup did not complete successfully. (DETAILS).  A click on this tells me ‘A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason’
– Catastrophic Failure (Ox8000FFFF) together with to-days date and time and Backup location USB – HDD (F:)  I am told by people who know, that this is probably caused by an infection at some point, but that they do not know how to be rid of it.   The normal Avast free  antivirus does not detect it, neither does Malwarebytes anti-malware.  The latest advice, which came highly recommended, was to try your website Tweaking.com
I have managed to download this application but I am spoilt for choice as to which section to RUN.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated if you can help with this particular problem.
Thank you............................Bernard.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Backup Failure - Error Code 0x8000FFFF (Started by Bernard)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:38:08 am »
Hi Bernard - Avast has been found to interfere with back ups so disable it and then retry your auto back ups.

You could either change the time of them to expedite matters or disable Avast near the time of the back up, but this article will walk you through in how to disable Avast.

http://www.getavast.net/support/turn-off-shields

If that doesn't do it then we'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:15 am »
Hi Bernard,

As in my response to your previous PM I had opened a thread for you to reply to.

However, I've copied and pasted your recent PM -

Thank you Boggin for your advice.  I followed the on-line instructions to-day which unfortunately made NO difference.

It started with a ‘Back up files’ box on the screen with a progress strip that immediately turned RED, and again the explanatory note:-  ‘A shadow copy could not be created for the following reason’ ‘catastrophic failure (Ox8000FFFF)’

Please ‘dig a bit deeper’.   I await your deliberations........................Bernard.

P.S.   'How do I send a screen shot with this ?

[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:09:42 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:19:26 am »
Ensure you have the latest version which is v3.8.1 and can be downloaded from www.tweaking.com

Run Windows Repair starting with Step 1 then use the button to boot up into Safe Mode and progress to Step 2 and so on.

In the actual repairs, it's item 19 but check the box at the top to select all repairs then start the repairs.

To post a screen shot - I usually use the Snipping tool - scroll down to the Attach: box then click on Browse.

Locate your pic in the Pictures library - click on it then Open and then you will see it in posted reply as mine displays.

Offline Bernard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 01:08:15 pm »
Yes I have v3.8.1 and will certainly do as you suggest.   HOWEVER,  I have been directed to  the attachments below.
I have attempted to follow ‘Backup (C).JPG’ and got as far as ‘BackUp service (A) Capture.JPG’ but because I do not know how to set ‘Start Up Type’ to ‘automatic’ I had to abandon the effort.   Perhaps you could let me have step by step instructions to complete the task ?
This would be much appreciated.........................Bernard.

Offline Bernard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:26:58 pm »
Sorry Tom,   The first attachment should be.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:00 pm »
I'm not familiar with Vista - just a Win 7 user but from a Google to change the backup settings, in your first pic, click on Change settings then on Change backup settings and follow the wizard to which I have no info, but if you were previously successfully creating auto backups then you will already know the procedure.

In your second pic it gives you three trouble shooting options to try - have you tried those ?