Author Topic: Ping default gateway resulted in request timed out 100% loss  (Read 34787 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Ping default gateway resulted in request timed out 100% loss
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:40:17 pm »
Hi,
           What this error means. I am having unidentified network problem , if i choose auto detect settings in ip4 adapter settings.
            Now, i try ping command and the result is the topic subject.
           Why it is so, and how to resolve it.
Now i am having internet access, using the following ips. Pl reply
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ping default gateway resulted in request timed out 100% loss
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:01:04 am »
When you open Network and Sharing Center, what is it showing as - Home, Work or Public ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:05:52 am »
public. But if i change the use following address, it changes to home. But still ping fails.
Update: if i change to old modem, which is not having wifi, only bb, the ping pass to the same gateway.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:12:01 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:38 am »
Change it to Work on the WiFi one and then try the ping.

Are you still unable to log into the router even when having an Internet connection ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:47 am »
Hi,
        I have copied the router settings.
          I could not do anything in the absence of internet, which failed totally. I could not log in to router page. then i surfed the net using the old modem which works, with its configuration'
           i used ipconfig/flushdns,release, renew commands. Release command failed . again, i tried ipconfig/registerdns.
          when i reset the router, there is no other go in this model,you have to go to the router page to establish connection.
          Even without internet ping command worked after reset.
          once, i registered the dns using ipconfig/registerdns, i was able to log in to router page, i have already had the settings. I just tried on each page and then saved .Now the internet is back and am replying.
            what those commands do please tell.
             The problem is with wifi settings or some i do not know.
             i received one redirect from BSNL mail in page and then i had this problem. The popup suddenly changed the total settings, that i could not log in to router.
                Reset default , erases the router wifi password, and broadband password.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:17 am »
J, this teracom router has been nothing but a hassle to you, return it, get a refund or a replacement (NOT the same make/ model  :wink: ). 

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:04 am »
Hi, I will definitely do either of the two.
                 I am expecting  a reply from boggins to what those commands do to return my internet access.
Samson,
                  Should it mean that the modem once reset, should go the factory settings. But the problem, is default factory settings of this modem, by this teracom ,is totally defective to give internet access.
                   When i used the other old modem, it goes to the router page and give internet access, without i have to go the router to check and use ipconfig commands, which i do not know nothing about.
                    One more thing , when i reset the old modem in case of internet connection problem, the reset will solve the problem. Here , the reset is creating problem. That is the problem.
                    I am now having configured settings by the company and i changed the password now.
                    i do not know how to prevent access to my router page , that is the problem. If something could change the dns server address, then the fault lies in setting or in the hardware of the modem

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
You would get a fail on the ipconfig /release if the router's DHCP wasn't issuing an IP address for it to release and that may well be the reason why you weren't able to ping the Default Gateway - because it didn't have one of those either.

Resetting the router may well have sorted the DHCP, but I thought you'd reset it before without getting a result.

You don't need to worry about a hacked DNS server address when you set up the computer's adapter TCP/IPv4 Properties with something like Goolge's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 /208.67.220.220

Settings in the computer override the router.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:48 pm »
Hi, I was having confusion in the diff between the two terms, router and modem.
   Now i know it is the same. Because, when i used the old modem, the router page, aside user pw, belongs to the dataone, which is the name of the modem.
         Still some say that both are different. how i do not know.
         //why conifigure lessons do not include anything about ipconfig. Thanks boggin. I read your thread of resetting something in ipconfig in this thread .
         .       That made me search for those commands and without knowing the implications , i used the commands  i could only get to the router page, after issuing the command to registerdns command.
                Hi, boggin, is the ip address above the subnet mask is the ip of the machine and is it unique. I mean that no body other than me could use it
                   Could you thro light on this and also to the fact, that inspite of selecting google dns server, why i could not get internet access. This was when a popup from service provider flashed on the screen, while trying to send the reply. I lost internet access.
                    I am asking this question, as to which would have allowed it to run. May be router access by some site, unknown, but which could access.
                      some suggest port forwarding 80 to a unused ip port, which is not using any device. How to do it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »
There are basically two types of IP address - one that your ISP assigns which is usually dynamic for the home user and in theory, can change whenever you switch the machine on.

This is the one you will see when you use an IP lookup program.

The second is what the router's DHCP assigns to whichever adapter and machine is being used and usually starts 192. and depending upon the DHCP range that the router uses, can be from .2 or end with anything up to .255 but rarely goes above .254

This is the IPv4 address which is above the Subnet Mask in ipconfig /all

Lower down you will see the Default Gateway which is the router's IP address and that will be .1

Regardless of changing the DNS servers, if DHCP hasn't assigned itself or any or the computer's adapters with an IP address the you will not connect.

When the computer fails to obtain a DHCP address, Windows will assign it with what is known as an APIPA address (can't remember what stands for so you can Google it :) ) and that will start as 169.

When you were unable to connect and did an ipconfig /all you may have seen that as the address for IPv4 Address.

This address can also prevent you from logging into the router because of lack of connectivity.

I've never done port forwarding and can differ with the UI of the router used - while a Google will probably give you the basics, your ISP should be able to walk you through the UI but Port 80 is usually blocked by the router's Firewall.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:46:31 am »
Hi, Boggins,
                     Today i went to replace the modem, but configurer would not. He says that no exchange is possible as they could not provide substitute. But he got my modem re configured again, and says that it will not be problematic further. Let me hope .
                    regarding the ipconfig /all list the actual ip, that is usually shown when connected was shown.
what is UI . Is it User information or some other thing.
                    I will definitely google.  Now, he says that the popup is there, but it is done only on first browsing for the day. what a business. I said to him, that is the problem, when something disturbs the router and there by failure of internet access, and forced reset and reconfiguration .
                    If i run avast, it gives me router vulnerability issues and asking me to check the ports  to . It lists port no. 80,21 and 23 as vulnerable and ask me to resove. If i click resolve it goes to the admin page.
                     Some also suggest to disable remote access. I think , if i remove that , then this could not be accessed in case of internet problem or repair. I do not know.
                     How some one could access your router and pop up advertisement?
                     I will be checking further,

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:48 am »
UI=User Interface

GUI=Graphical User Interface but that is usually shortened to UI.

Navigate around https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and that will tell which of your ports and if your router is vulnerable as to whether you can be "seen" on the Internet..

Are you able to log into the router and ping the Default Gateway now ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 03:25:40 am »
Hi, already checked that link. It shows , port 80 and 23 are open and shown in Red.
Yes , now i could get internet access. and ping command now runs successfully with 0 percent loss.
But how to close those ports in router is the thing that i am looking at and also, if i disable port 80 http, and 23 somehow, would it not affect the internet browsing and sending , any internet activity. please, .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 03:34:49 am »
A Google will give you info on why those ports should be open but I remember running a speed test once where there was an option to use Port 80 if the test didn't run properly, but Port 80 is a listening port - Port 23 is usually used by Telnet.

Gotta go and get ready now for a hospital appointment.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 11:20:29 pm »
Hi,
           Today, after reconfiguring the modem, i was getting internet access. Today, morning when i boot , i was not given internet access and my home group changed as public. Now, i went to config and see the ip address changed to 169.254.90.67(googling shows reserved ip), which was not provided to me by my ISP.So router has some vulnerability.
          ipconfig commands did not provide any solution
          i just changed my ip address and give gateway ip address and back came the internet access.
why this is so.
              Moreover on the device information of the router, when configured by different persons, it changes particularly in the gateway. My gateway is shown as a ip in netherlands.
               My pointer. If i change the ips , by using the following access points, then will this router rogue attack end?
               Will it save from amazonws.com, which is trying to change the ip address. I already took note of it in berkeley test.
                It also shows an update failed verson 3 from s3 amazonws.com due to lack of internet access?
                 If i change the adapter settings to use the following address then would the redirection or lack of internet access end. In otherword, would the adapter settings override the router settings with regard to access points
                  since, i knew the problem, i could access the internet, otherwise, reset , reconfigurations.. pl reply

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:23 am »
This article shows you how to set up a static IP address in the computer. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

The example is for the LAN but the same steps apply to Wireless and you would enter your own Subnet Mask and IP address.

The example IP address in the article if applied to you could assign an IP address within the DHCP range and if DHCP assigned that address to another device then you would have a conflict and no Internet connection.

You will need to log into the router and check to see the DHCP range the router uses and then change it so it has a maximum as your range starts from 192.168.1.1 and then you can use one after the max.

e.g. - My own router uses 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 with the Default Gateway being .254

On that router I have set up a static IP address in the router for my printer at .200 which is outside of the range.

You can also set up a computer with a static IP address within/outside of the DHCP range in the router.

When you set it as an IP address within the DHCP range, it is classed as a Reserved IP address and DHCP will not assign that IP address to any other device, but this does not affect the ISP's external IP address.

This is how I do it in my Billion 7800N but your router will have similar settings and the MAC address is listed as the Physical Address in ipconfig /all.

Where the digits are separated by dashes in ipconfig /all you use : when entering the MAC address in the router.

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/268/14/how-do-i-configure-my-7800-series-router-to-assign-a-static-ip-to-a-computer-via-dhcp

If you have any problems then I suggest you take it to where that guy set it up for you, but a static IP address either set up in your router or in the computer should stop the DHCP problem where Windows is assigning that APIPA address - but if DHCP is continually failing to assign your computer with an IP address otherwise, then the router could be goosed or you need to update/reinstall your Network adapter drivers.

Don't use Device Manager to update your drivers as Windows usually only has older ones.

However, before setting up a static IP address, run a cmd prompt as an admin and enter -

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset resetlog.txt

You could also add the ipconfig cmds of

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

Reboot the computer a few times to see if it still connects or if you still end up with loss of connectivity and you have that 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:29:43 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 02:12:43 am »
Thanks for the shield up link
           I tested after changing modem settings by myself.
              I have changed the admin pw.
              I have enabled unpn
              I have enabled SIP, with firewall already enabled.
                after doing all this , i went to shield up, now all common ports are shown stealthy. Happy about it. Now when i boot my computer there was no hack of dns number. I do not know much about SIP settings.
I will also look for any other security guard to save me from these attacks. Ok.
                 I already reported the 169.... matter to my ISP and it is in the process.
                 since every body is having different modem, but one ISP, there is no identical cure. They say.
But , i told them to atleast release a safe guidelines, like changing pw etc etc..
What is risk of file sharing in the group , we select. there are default selection and i disabled the printer as additional one.please.
How the device information, which should be identical if i connect to any computer, is now different from the previous configuration device info. Is it because, the configurer would instead of manual correction, would have saved the cfg file and just saved that file to overwite. I do not think that is possible. I will tell the major difference in my next post
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:15:24 am by jraju »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 02:28:54 am »
I've never come across SIP in a router before so I would have to Google that.

In Change advanced sharing settings I just have those at their default settings.

Are you still getting the 169. IP address ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 02:39:52 am »
No. I do not get that address. I am now being shown the user ip address.
SIP, i have enabled has this meaning
(WARNING: If You enabled SPI, all traffics initiated from WAN would be blocked, including DMZ, Virtual Server, and ACL WAN side.)
Hence, i again disabled this and will see the result in port, to look for any change in stealthy status

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 02:43:02 am »
That sounds okay for the SIP.

Have you updated your Network adapter drivers ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 02:47:50 am »
Hi, Boggins,
             No. If i disable the SIP, my port 80,21 and 23 are shown as red. I have again enabled it and will check again.
Regarding the update of drivers, my driver is dated 2014. since, no support is found, i downloaded the same from drivermax.net. shall i uninstall and allow auto install of drivers. But , naturally windows will find it at the preconfigured location and download the same.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 02:56:06 am »
I hadn't suggested disabling SIP as it seems to be doing a good job.

I'm not one for using driver updater programs as they can download the wrong ones - it's best to go to the actual driver vendor support site, but if you start getting the APIPA address again then it would be worth looking for an update or just reinstall it - otherwise if they are working fine then there would be no need to update/reinstall.

I have Wireless and LAN drivers saved in my Downloads folder so if I feel either are getting buggy, then I'll uninstall them from Device Manager, checking the box to include software and then reinstall from the Downloads folder without rebooting to prevent Windows from sticking an older one in.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 03:02:35 am »
Hi, After checking the link, and seeing all are stealthy I feel somewhat safe. I do not know the full details of SIP, but since i find this item next to the firewall settings, which was enabled, i enabled this also. I  wrote , what is on my router on SIP. I do not know the intricacies of those things.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 03:05:29 am »
Has Avast stopped reporting that Rom0 ?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 03:10:11 am »
No, it is reporting the same vulnerability and i just ignore it for present. If i check for solution, it is asking me to forward the port 80 to some ips which are not using any devices at home. I could not find port 80 in any of the settings. It also says firmware update. The company is not functioning now. so , i could not get update. There is a download link in their site, but, it gives error message. So i leave it at that.
Avast is convassing for buying secure on line, so i simple ignored it