Author Topic: Windows Update - Only Repair Selected - Running over an Hour  (Read 8406 times)

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Windows Update - Only Repair Selected - Running over an Hour
« on: January 27, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »
I did a factory reinstall of Windows 7 Home Premium earlier today and noticed that I was on IE9.  I ran Windows Updates and saw nothing beyond the 'checking for updates' bar for over a half hour.  I ran the Windows FixIt tool which gave me an error of 80244019.  Fed up with Microsoft's inabilities I downloaded Tweaking's All-in-one Repair, booted in safe mode with networking and deselected everything but Windows Updates.  It's now been running that single repair for over an hour.  Every now and then I see some activity on Drive Write and CPU Usage at the bottom of the page.  Drive Read is always 0 bytes.  Memory Used is now consistently hovering around 730MB.

I obviously have to Stop Repairs, but don't know what to do next...

Never mind.... After cancelling, I ran the update repair a second time, this time it taking all of 22 seconds.  And this time it worked perfectly.  Your tool never fails to impress.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:13:57 pm by boweasel »

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
Re: Windows Update - Only Repair Selected - Running over an Hour
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »
Windows Update takes ages for me too and often returns an error indicating connection failure. I've put this down to my slow, flaky but unavoidable satellite broadband connection. However, did a factory reinstallation of Windows 7 for a friend the other day and had the same problems on her machine - waited an hour with no response from Windows Update over a conventional, albeit not very fast, connection.

I've seen quite a few similar cases when Googling for information and one theory, which I subscribe to, is that Microsoft's servers are overloaded with Windows 10 downloads.

I've usually managed to complete my downloads eventually by leaving the computer on overnight.... ...
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 03:16:43 am »
For some reason or other, checking for updates in Win 7 has been taking some time - on another forum - up to three weeks!

I had that error 80244019 when checking for updates in Win 7 and found that by running Step #2 Pre-Scan, it found problems with Environment Variables and Reparse Points.

Using the program to fix those fixed the Check for updates without the need to run any other of the repairs in WR.

Are you now able to get all of the updates ?

Installing just a few at a time can also prevent further errors such as a Failed for some and just installing a few at a time will give you the opportunity to vet those as you select them should any be related to Telemetry or ease of upgrade or Windows Update Agent, which should help to avoid an auto upgrade to Win 10 if you don't want it.

Clicking on each update and then on More info in the right pane will tell you what each is for.

Changing your Windows Update settings to Check for but let me choose... will afford you that option rather than allowing them to auto update en-masse.

Should you find yourself with the actual Win 10 update or the Windows icon in the system tray and you don't want Win 10 just yet or ever, then download the GWX Control Panel which has preventative steps for whichever stage you find yourself at and which are reversible should you decide to go ahead with the upgrade before the 28th July 2016 cut off point for the free upgrade.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 05:01:52 am »
For some reason or other, checking for updates in Win 7 has been taking some time - on another forum - up to three weeks!

I had that error 80244019 when checking for updates in Win 7 and found that by running Step #2 Pre-Scan, it found problems with Environment Variables and Reparse Points.

Using the program to fix those fixed the Check for updates without the need to run any other of the repairs in WR.

Installing just a few at a time can also prevent further errors such as a Failed for some and just installing a few at a time will give you the opportunity to vet those as you select them should any be related to Telemetry or ease of upgrade or Windows Update Agent, which should help to avoid an auto upgrade to Win 10 if you don't want it.

Clicking on each update and then on More info in the right pane will tell you what each is for.

Changing your Windows Update settings to Check for but let me choose... will afford you that option rather than allowing them to auto update en-masse.

Should you find yourself with the actual Win 10 update or the Windows icon in the system tray and you don't want Win 10 just yet or ever, then download the GWX Control Panel which has preventative steps for whichever stage you find yourself at and which are reversible should you decide to go ahead with the upgrade before the 28th July 2016 cut off point for the free upgrade.

[/quote

I would agree with Boggin's recommendation of GWX Control Panel. Works well for me and those I help with computer problems - neither of my computers are supported by the manufacturers for W10 and forums provide little help, so installation is a hassle I don't need.......
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 04:34:33 pm »

Yes.  For some reason I decided to edit my original post instead of replying.  My edit is shown after the asterisks in that OP.   The error 80244019 was not an error directly associated with attempting the updates - I would click on 'check for updates' and it would just run hour after hour with nothing happening.  The error 80244019 was only encountered after using Windows Fix-It Tool - that's the error Fix-it would return, saying it could not correct that problem.  It was only after that Fix-It error that I used the tool from Tweaking All In One Repair....

I've already downloaded, extracted and run the bat file from Tweaking that supposedly keeps the W10 update nag at bay.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »
The checking for updates can take a very very long time depending on the CPU speed of the system. On older systems or systems with slower cpus, such as a lot of these hybrid laptop/tablets coming out with only 1.6 ghz cpus the check for updates takes a long long time.

On a fresh install of Windows i had the check for updates take 12 hours, I had to leave it overnight and went to bed. On newer systems it is much faster.

When you run my windows repair tool the windows updates database is cleared out, so it has to be rebuilt, so no matter what the first check for updates after the repair will take a bit. But after that the database of what is installed on the system is rebuilt and future check for updates is a lot faster!

Shane