Author Topic: Getting no updates  (Read 39091 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting no updates
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 01:10:40 pm »
No, it should be okay - some people never switch desktop machines off and when I've done a factory reset, I leave my laptop on overnight to download the updates - just have to adjust the power settings so that the screen doesn't stay on all night but I have it to never switch anything off when using AC.

Without going back through the thread, do you have a recovery partition on this machine to factory reset with.

I know this would involve more work to bring it back with whatever you have installed, but as you've tried all of the known fixes - perhaps this may be the only solution - providing MS are still chucking out updates for Vista which they should be until 2017.

Anyway, if leaving it on overnight doesn't do it then I think it's something you should consider if that option is available to you.

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 01:29:28 pm »
There is something new!!

As I was finishing my work on the computer, instead of shutting it down, I changed the user account (to a administrator account); so I noticed there was a notification (the WU icon on the bottom right side) saying new updates are available.

However, clicking that icon, the WU opens up saying the computer is up-to-date. Clicking on "search for updates", it shows the progression bar, but I suspect it is not searching at all.

So, there is a WU notification, but WU does not show the updates it says to be available!?! 

Nothing like this has ever happened before in this computer, so something seems to be wrong.

Any hint, please?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 02:03:03 pm »
I think you have tried the first six of these methods, so carry on from Method 7.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2509997

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2016, 06:46:03 am »
Hi Boggin

It just happened that the following time I turned the computer on, last night, there it was, the same icon in the bottom right side; I clicked it and then it was saying there were 73 updates to install. Another click and it showed them all. I clicked to install, and 72 were installed, now WU says the computer is updated.
Well, I have just noticed that Windows Defender was not updated, and I can not make it to. So there's still something going on. How can I be sure there are not some more updates missing?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
Do you have Windows Defender turned on ?

If the update has a KB number then Google that for a manual download.

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2016, 01:02:20 pm »
Let me say that the failed update (73-72) was not the Windows Defender one.

I just went to see W. D. through Control Panel and it said the definitions were from June 2015.  Then I clicked to update and a box popped out with a progression bar which only filled very close to the left corner.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »
So which one did fail and what was the fail error code ?

Do you actually use WD as it's only an on demand scanner and the free version of MBAM would be better suited and probably more effective.

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2016, 06:14:40 pm »
I was looking in the update historic and so it is: update KB3073921 appears in the list as failed but it is some lines up as successfully installed, the total updates is 72 (don't know how WU was telling there were 73 updates).
Beyond WD update missing, I noticed that one update Microsoft makes available every month, that one to detect malware, in my historic (newly downloaded) is from February 2016; I think it should be from Mars because this download happened in April.
I'm not worried for having WD not updated but by the fact that it seems to mean there is still some issue with my WU.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2016, 12:41:21 am »
hi, nothing to worry. Just disable the av program when the windows update. Becasue, your av is also getting to the files and so , it is the thing that you should try. after disabling the av, try the updates and you will get all the updates you needed.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 02:59:01 am »
I was looking in the update historic and so it is: update KB3073921 appears in the list as failed but it is some lines up as successfully installed, the total updates is 72 (don't know how WU was telling there were 73 updates).
Beyond WD update missing, I noticed that one update Microsoft makes available every month, that one to detect malware, in my historic (newly downloaded) is from February 2016; I think it should be from Mars because this download happened in April.
I'm not worried for having WD not updated but by the fact that it seems to mean there is still some issue with my WU.

Yes, the one for MSRT is a monthly one so you may have more updates to come - it may update itself with April's updates but it should have been March's issue that downloaded.

Any failures will always be included in the update history.

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2016, 03:26:18 pm »
Hi jraju

I did just that and in fact, 16 updates were transfered, one of them for W.D..
Even after I have restarted the computer, now with the av not disabled, they kept comming, two or three for W.D. and the one anti-malware, arriving one at a time, all of March.
So I'm convinced that no update is missing now!
And, a few hours ago, one more for W.D., with the computer in "normal" mode, I mean, nothing disabled, everything seeming to work properly.
What really could had been was the cause of this?

Thank you very much, Boggin, Jraju and all, for your support.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »
It may just have been a case of waiting for them to come.